I am having a recurrence of genital warts. I want to get treated right away before the situation gets any worse. I have some questions, though.
Is this something that a doctor I go to see would report to immigration, that is, a deportable condition? I’m fairly certain that it’s not, but this is something that I’m really worried about.
If the answer to the above is “yes,” where should I go to seek treatment?
If the answer to the above is “no,” where should I go to seek treatment? If I just go to a regular hospital, which department should I go to (and how do you say it in Mandarin)? Dermatology? Is there a good hospital or clinic that treats STDs?
I tried to answer all these questions myself by searching this forum but was not completely satisfied with the answers I came up with. For example, the clinic in Ximen is discussed in many threads. I called them but it seems like their clinic is only for anonymous AIDS/HIV testing. I need to see a doctor and don’t need such testing. So then they gave me a number and told me to make an appointment at the “general outpatient service” (i2 ban4 men2 jen3?) at the same hospital where the clinic is located. If I’m going to just get sent to a general doctor who will then simply redirect me to the correct department of the hospital for treatment, I don’t see why I shouldn’t just try to go to the correct department to start off with on my own. I also don’t see why I need to go to that particular hospital, which is somewhat out of the way for me.
Anyway, any help anyone can give would really be appreciated. You can PM me if you like. I’m losing sleep over all this (literally) so, again, would appreciate any help others can give.
I’ll try to make this thread complete by inserting any information I receive through PMs in this thread (of course, while maintaining anonymity). Maybe this information can help others.
This is something I found in another thread. Would be interested in getting input from anyone in the know.
Statement:
According to the Immigration Law and its regulations as commonly reported in the local press here in Taiwan, people are regularly deported (and I assume blacklisted) if they are found with STDs. This includes persons who are married to Taiwan citizens.
Reply:
That would be communicable diseases requiring notification to the health authorities, namely: AIDS, gonorhea and syphilis. This doesn’t include warts chlamydia etc.
Here’s a PM I just received. Damn you guys are fast! Thanks again. I’m starting to feel a little better already.
You can go to a normal hospital for genital warts treatment. They’ll give you the option of laser surgery or ointment. I think the Mandarin equates to skin doctor in English. It’s definitely not deportable material.
Little off topic but regarding the Ximen place that does the anonymous HIV test.
Would anyone really trust them?
I’ve been there before for something else and got the impression it was akin to a back street quackery.
Before I saw the Dr. I had to provide ID which was photocopied.
Then when I saw the DR. he asked if I wanted a HIV test, I didn’t, but I thought where is the anonymity there.
If you had a test and it was positive…
I say if you want a comprehensive STD test, do it in your home country or hop over to Thailand where they know what they are doing with regards to STDs and they won’t deport you for having chapped lips.
[quote=“kontiki”]This is something I found in another thread. Would be interested in getting input from anyone in the know.
Statement:
According to the Immigration Law and its regulations as commonly reported in the local press here in Taiwan, people are regularly deported (and I assume blacklisted) if they are found with STDs. This includes persons who are married to Taiwan citizens.
Reply:
That would be communicable diseases requiring notification to the health authorities, namely: AIDS, gonorhea and syphilis. This doesn’t include warts chlamydia etc.[/quote]
I believe that information to be incorrect. According to the Foreigner Health Check Station at Xin Lou Hospital in Tainan City (where I’ve had my medical check for the last eight years - six times for ARC, once for a JFRV and once for Candidature/Naturalisation), the only two conditions you get deported/your visa not renewed for is HIV and Syphilis. Gonorrhea is curable and not a deportable STD.
[quote=“JamesE”]I am not confusing hpv with ghsv. ghsv is quite common, but hpv more so.
Neither one typically causes symptoms.
cdc.gov/hpv/[/quote]
What exactly are you referring to then, as you didn’t actually state anything? You just said “almost all middle aged or older people carry” it. What exactly are you referring to then? Genital Warts?
And Gonorrhea and Herpes most definitely do cause symptoms. “Typically” would depend on your interpretation, as both, like many other STDs/STIs, may be asymptomatic in many people.