George Bush Ambassador to China/Taiwan? UN Voted to recognize Taiwan over PRC

This is interesting, I had no idea George Bush was Ambassador to China/Taiwan when UN voted to expel Taiwan for China. It seems like the US was trying to keep Taiwan in the UN but was out voted
Makes me despise the UN even more now hearing this

2 Likes

The United States, Australia, NZ and Japan voted against recognizing the PRC over Taiwan.
Interestingly Canada and most of Europe voted to recognize Communist China over Taiwan.

I always thought the US voted for China against Taiwan, at least that seems to be the narrative, maybe its just me and most people knew how the votes went. Also it looks like Taiwans allies for the decades after are the ones who voted for recognizing Taiwan in the 1971 United Nations General Assembly Resolution 2758

2 Likes

To be fair… Taiwan was a right-wing dictatorship at the time headed by a megalomaniac that want to be called ‘Taiwan’ and wanted to be in China’s seat.

Chiang Kai Shek is responsible for this. He didn’t want to be recognised as Taiwan.

7 Likes

Yes I get that point too, Taiwan was a Military Dictatorship with a Generalissimo…Who the fuck calls themselves Generalissimo other than Chiang and some South American Dictators. It was a different time where 1/3 of the planet was under communism 1/3 a democracy and 1/3 under some strong man, dictator, generalissimo, king

2 Likes

Hindsight is 2020.

If you’re trading one dictator for another. What’s the difference?

The US (stupidly) wanted to leverage one enemy against another. China against the soviets
Mujahideen against the soviets
Taliban against the soviets.

Now the enemy is gone, they have three.

But Taiwan is a democracy now. It’s more important that the will of Taiwan is protected.

3 Likes

Of course, no one knew how the situation would play out in 50 years. I just hope the EU stands up to China.
In regards to the US I wouldn’t say it was stupidly done at the time the Soviet Union and Communism was a real threat especially when you look at the world map and see so much red. Looking back now with most of the world being some form of a free republic, the Soviet Union collapsing and having those assets backfire it looks stupid but not in 1970s. Not saying I agree with it now but same as the situation with Taiwan its 2020 looking back at a far different world where no one knew how far Communism would spread

Best foreign policy president in my lifetime.

:rofl:

Guy

3 Likes

You have a very low bar here.

Guy

2 Likes

Of course, it wasn’t “Taiwan vs China”, it was “PRC vs ROC”. Both sides claimed to represent all of China, with CKS’s claim becoming increasingly divorced from reality, but the demand from the ROC and the U.S. was that the rest of the world continue to indulge this fantasy. The U.S. was at that time opposed to any manifestation of democracy or independence for Taiwan, branding both as signs of “communism”.
The U.S. might have been able to get a situation where China got entry to the UN and the Security Council seat and Taiwan was recognized as an independent country if it gave up claims to the whole of China, but both CKS and the China Lobby on the one hand and the Chicoms on the other were opposed. Still, Mao wasn’t particlarly interested in Taiwan and other countries might have been glad to avoid having to make a hard choice.

1 Like

The truth is Communism was prevalent in Taiwan in that period and likely the outcome. Taiwan was not yet ready for a Democratic Republic. Honestly some people in Taiwan still don’t believe in a true democracy in 2020 and it was even truer 30 yrs ago in the 1990s

He didn’t. That was a western media title because he was a five star general and his real Chinese title was hard to translate.

His most commonly used title in Chinese, before he became president in 1947, was 委員長.

2 Likes