Germans restrict freedom!

Back on topic, Germany like any other sovereign state has the right to refuse people at the border. In the past Germany used to be too easy on visas and let in people without doing much of a background check. Why do you think the 9/11 people where able to do much of the planning in Hamburg?
So I support that new move.

[quote=“t.ukyo”]Back on topic, Germany like any other sovereign state has the right to refuse people at the border. In the past Germany used to be too easy on visas and let in people without doing much of a background check. Why do you think the 9/11 people where able to do much of the planning in Hamburg?
So I support that new move.[/quote]

Does the US also have this right? :s Most people here don’t seem to think so…

forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php … s&&start=0

Fred:

If it was their own money, I’d be less interested (though I notice Bush hasn’t been going after Jewish and Muslim “charities” with equal vigor). I’m talking about Israel’s drain on the U.S. budget.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Fred:

If it was their own money, I’d be less interested (though I notice Bush hasn’t been going after Jewish and Muslim “charities” with equal vigor). I’m talking about Israel’s drain on the U.S. budget.[/quote]

Damn, you got something there! Since this thread was about Germans and visas*…let’s see if we can’t think of some kind of final solution. Whatta ya say?

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

*some off topic posts are more equal than others…I guess that’s why we have a flounder forum…

Europeans Debate Plan For Immigrant Camps
Associated Press, Tuesday, October 19, 2004; Page A14

FLORENCE, Oct. 18 --" Ministers from five European countries said Monday that they hoped to start digital fingerprinting for passports by 2006 in an effort to improve security, but they split over a German proposal to put illegal migrants in transit camps in North Africa.

Interior ministers from Britain, France, Germany, Spain and Italy held two days of informal talks in a 19th-century villa in Florence to prepare initiatives they hope will eventually be adopted throughout the 25-member European Union.

But they failed to overcome their differences over Germany’s proposal, backed by Italy, to set up camps in North Africa to process asylum seekers before they set out on perilous sea journeys to southern Europe. "
(excerted from article)

Something about Germans and ‘camps’ just make me a bit uneasy…

Germans really love camps, don’t they? Oh well, on the plus side…North Africa can’t be as cold as Poland.

Ah good Comrade Stalin:

Then, there will be no reason to stoke fires of any kind. So much the better.

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Qu

Bob Honest:

I think that the point is not to say that Americans do not have stricter entry regulations but to counter incessant criticism from posters from other countries by pointing to other examples where similar if not worse restrictions are in place. We are then wondering why such rules and regulations are okay for Germany and not okay for America. This is usually the case. Rarely you find that one of these posts is started by a Republican. Usually, it is the Bush or America detractors that predict all end of woes etc etc but then remain silent when they are forced to view similar actions in other countries. It is really that simple. It would have to be because Lefties are not capable of rational thought.

okay dokey. But I would not mind a little Germany-bashing, my wife is usually doing that after being three month there, so go ahead :slight_smile:

By the way, she wants me to tell you SHE likes George Bush. I told her of our conversation before as I was so impressed you could conclude my hometown in Germany by my style of writing.

Well, I like George Bush too…

… but he scares me :astonished:

Sorry, not my election. I should be silent. :smiley:

Silence? Nonesense. Speak up more and especially in Germany. Now, is the time for Atlanticists like me, and I assume you, to stick around to take care of the tough work of rebuilding our tattered relationship to make it even stronger. As a partnership, Germany and American cannot be beat for providing stability, freedom and prosperity to Europe and hopefully elsewhere in the region (North Africa, Middle East, Russia, Ukraine, Caucasus). Let’s focus on that now that the acrimony over Iraq is nearly over.

I used to go horseback riding quite frequently in the Luneberger Heide about this time of year. The tall oaks, beech and maples all wonderfully orange, yellow and red before retiring to a local inn for sausages, potato salad, brot and a good bottle of Rheinbock or Gruner Vetliner. Yum! Still wish I could find a decent place in Taipei for stollen though.

… sigh, I am homesick now. :bravo:

Well think more of the Atlanticist alliance and how it needs to be rebuilt while pondering a nice plate of smoked salmon with sour cream, capers and caviar on the terrace of the Atlantic Hotel overlooking the Alstersee, or a fresh pickled herring sandwich and beer after hopping off the train at Hamburg Bahnhof or eating fresh Johannisbeerkuchen right out of the oven or perhaps a nice pheasant and fizzy German Zinfandel in that restuarant near the Jagschloss in Berlin or… what is that casserole dish that Braunschweig is famous for again? Remind me.

maybe a wet dream of yours

… ups, almost know more about Germany than me. Braunschweig has one sausage with geen cabbage which is much like our Hannover sausage dish.

Discussing with you made a few things more clear to me: WHY relations USA/Germany deteriorated so much. I think you are right there, the fact that USA’s long-term loyal friend Germany suddendly went in active opposition instead of just disagreeing over Iraq, raised a feeling of betrayal in USA. Okay, our style was not too good there - but Bush is so much the opposite of how we think of a politician that this happened easily. I found a good quote today:

“Part of Bush’s German problem is style – the hometown swagger doesn’t play well to a German crowd used to more intellectually-oriented leaders.”
in the new English SPIEGEL-online edition. Allies should be allowed to disagree, but style is always important.

And I am not sure if Schroeder is falling for the old plan (first raised by General DeGaulle) to kick out USA and UK of Europe and have Europe under Franco-German political leadership. That approach would be wrong.
Sounds kind of scary :blush: Everyone must eat Baguette and Sauerkraut, jawoll!

EDIT: If France and Germany push the others a bit in the Eu-unification, that is okay, even by taking leadership in this process. But kickin’ out USA is a wrong plan.

Then ignore the style and go for the substance. Tell everyone that you know in Germany how important this alliance is. Starting talking to people about your concerns rather then letting the rabble sit around and bash Bush and bash America. It will ultimately be costly. Now, is the time to shut some of these people and their perenniel bashing up before it is too late.

Robi: I would certainly welcome an improved relationship with France. Despite all the problems in our past history, I never saw France EVER sell dangerous weapons to our known enemies before Chirac came along. This desperate need to set up a multipolar world just so France can triangulate to its own advantage is too much. It is wrong. China cannot and should not be triangulated. Just because it worked to some extent with the Soviets is no reason to try playing chicken in East Asia. We need France back as well, but how can we with this idiot cowboy gun-slinging Chirac in office? :laughing:

well Fred
that is your view of the world
obviously not everybody shares that