Get a visa to Taiwan in a country where you don't have citizenship

Hello everyone!
Not sure if this question hasn’t been discussed on the forum, but I’ll ask it anyway.
Is it realistic to get a non-resident visa to Taiwan for 90 days with the possibility of extension to study Chinese in a country where you have no citizenship?
I plan to stay in one of the Asian countries on a tourist visa (I am considering different options from where it is easier to get to Taiwan), I am not sure if this tourist visa will be a sufficient basis for obtaining a Taiwan visa there (along with other necessary documents, including an invitation from the university).
Has anyone had such an experience?

well, dunno if applicable, but I was able to get all the services at the TECO in HK based on me being a HK resident.

Theoretically, if u r resident in that consular district, u can access the consular and visa services. But I know that MOFA has very peculiar rules for many countries, in a very discriminatory and random way at that. So better to check with that TECO/Consulate/Embassy first.

2 Likes

I got a 3 month visa in Tokyo and I extended for 3 month more when in Taiwan. They were super friendly but other people didn’t have the same luck.
I was on tourist visa.

1 Like

I have assumptions that in the case of Asia, everything depends on the host country. For now, I plan to go to Malaysia and apply for a visa to Taiwan there (they told me at the local cultural center that they could issue it, but I am preparing for unpredictable circumstances). In Japan, it is probably easiest to get a visa to Taiwan, perhaps it will be the same in South Korea.

I received a visitor visa in Australia. Though it was converted to an ARC.

I’m not Australian.

3 Likes

Malaysia will likely tell you to get a visa on arrival.

I can’t get a visa on arrival, my country is not listed.

Tell us your country ffs.

Wait I’m confused. Do you intend to apply for a student visa (or visitor visa with intention to study) in Malaysia?

I don’t know any TECO that requires local citizenship to apply for a visa, but some require you to have residency where you’re applying from or they might turn you away depending on how busy they are / local office policy. Some states in the US are super picky about this, and don’t allow US citizens to apply from states where they don’t have residency.

Russia.
I plan to come to Malaysia on a tourist visa and apply for a Taiwan visa at the local Taiwanese embassy to study Chinese.

Yes because otherwise it looks too much like you’re trying to exploit some sort of loophole.

So you can’t apply in Russia?

I assume that if I have an invitation from the university, it is difficult to suspect me of exploiting loopholes. At least I hope so.

Yeah you can do that assuming you’re not a Chinese national (there’s special rules for them right now). If Malaysia office doesn’t help you, then try Singapore teco office, they are pretty friendly.

1 Like

If you need travel to third nation then why not go to home country and do, would that not be the best? Going to the 3rd country would cost more I guess with travel and rooms and food?

I can’t, because I plan to apply to the university for the winter semester, and I can apply for a visa only in November, and by the end of September I have to leave Russia.

Depends purely on who’s running the ship in that office. I’ve been refused in Malaysia but that was many years ago.

It’s not safe in your own country, let’s just say.

Yes, I also have doubts about Malaysia, among the alternatives there are Vietnam, South Korea, Turkey.