Get married home first! Taiwan refuse to give JFRV

It sounds to me like you have other issues, such as a) you really don’t understand Taiwan, and the FACT that your wife could easily have gotten the wrong information from a government official in Taiwan; b) you are quick to blame your wife, which suggests some trust issues there in the first place; and c) everything is someone else’s fault. I’m not seeing you even willing to take the time to go to your country’s representative office in Taipei and see if maybe – just maybe – people who’ve been living in Taiwan for years might be right about them being able to authenticate a document for you.

I doubt Mandarin and Taiwan are going to be a good long-term fit for you.

He doesn’t want it to fit. Esta buscandole la quinta pata al gato.

I already told him about toning down the wife blaming. Borderline abuseive if at the start he’s practically calling her an idiot, when the task at hand is a no win situation. Plus, when the Taiwanese woman takes her claws out, it ain’t gonna be pretty. If he thought he’d married a meek, submisive Asian stereotype he’ll be in for a very rude awakening…

Dunno is this is relevant at all but every time I made a visa run, or went to BOCA, MOFA, etc. I was asked for the marriage registration to get a resident visa or resident card, since I got married on USA and not in my Home country. But at NIA they didn’t asked about it, only the police records. But I was doubtful so before starting my police records I made the straight question every time I went for a extension or anything. Do I need to register my marriage in my home country? No, if you are in the household account you are good. But remember: NIA (it was in Nantou) they were telling me that for the first 3 years, that it took for me to get my police records. Also BOCA, MOFA or whatever said they could accept my police records in English, but NIA wanted a notarized Chinese translation, that we did after we got the papers on our own the same day and we only had a public notary to check our stamps and signatures.

1 Like

Oh yeah and my wife wife screwed me too, every time I was “overthinking” my paperwork before coming to Taiwan she always answered with a smile and a “you are thinking too much, is very easy” and then would proceed to rape me. So I spent 3 years doing visa runs and not been able to work here, now I have a JFRV and ARC and I don’t want to get a job, is all her fault, and I make sure the she-rapist don’t forget about it.

Nice of you guys to blame it all on the wife. First of all, it is a no win situation. Even if she new which questions to ask and where -and she doesn’t, because she is not a foreigner, has never been through the ropes like us, and probably knows no one who has -so even if she the asks in perfect Mandarin, she will get different answers from different officials. Officials are not here to help you. It is in their best interests that you do not settle here. They have enough brown people/foreigners and everyone knows we are not to be trusted, we are not Han. You marry to steal our beloved seeds.

Remember the good ol days when people could only stay if they got married, and foreigners had no working rights? That there was no way a white face could get the green ROC passport? Many people live still in that era, but even then, you could get an ID under the table if you knew the right people. Otherwise, forget it. So give a bit of leeway to your partner, who, raised as a Taiwanese, thinks in giving authority to other people and follows mostly blindly and has no idea to contest or questions the establishment. If her Uncle Hou told her to do X she will do as told. And ask of push at the authorities, being NIA or BOCA? Unthinkable. Most of all, they probably think that if they know Official Wang or Secretary Yu, then they can get things done anyways. If they do not know anyone who can help, then that is a loss of face and hence also a no go.

Moreover, when they settled/visited/worked/stdied in a foreign country, they probably were subject to a standard issue procedure. They may think it is the same all over the world and then blame you for being unreasonable and uncooperative. No fun as a pet anymore.

Finally, yes, it can be a bit of a power play. Maybe they do not really want to help you achieve all your rights because then the balance of power will be upset. Most Taiwanese do have the experience of a foreign partner in the form of a mail order bride, bought and sold almost like cattle and with about the same rights. A disposable womb. Then if they look down on you as a person and as a partner, they will keep you under their foot one way or another. But if that is the case with your relationship, you have bigger problems and you have more urgent things to do than to engage in a childish power struggle. Your future and your soul are at stake here. In that case, I would advise you not to waste a single day and cut your losses/start over. Just make sure you do not leave any children behind.

There lies the problem, you can’t get a JFRV on a landing visa, and I bet that this info was given to you in advance.
When I married in Taiwan (14 years ago) there was no request that the marriage has to be legalized in Germany.
Just went to the German institute and informed them, that was all.

Very strange,
I married in TW 9 years ago, and I had to regrister my marriage in Germany, got that notarized to get my JFRV.

Sidenote:
Even if the procedure is terribly annoying and costy, I think this is the correct way to ensure that there is no bigamy etc.

The government in Taiwan wants to ensure that the marriage is not only recognised under ROC law, but also by the government of the foreign spouse’s home country. This is for the benefit of all parties involved and serves to avoid any legal uncertainty. I do not find this unreasonable. Obviously there are foreign countries and jurisdictions that do not maintain a marriage registry, yet getting a formal written statement from the government in said country confirming this as well as confirming that the foreign government recognises Taiwanese marriages should be a non-issue. For those persons whose government does for some reason not recognise Taiwanese marriages, there is always the possibility of getting married in Hong Kong. There are many ways and solutions - yet blaming Taiwan or the local Taiwanese spouse is probably the worst option.

[quote=“MoTi”]Very strange,
I married in TW 9 years ago, and I had to regrister my marriage in Germany, got that notarized to get my JFRV. [/quote]
Maybe there was a change, but I remember exactly when we got married I was asked whether I need the certificate also in English.
And this marriage certificate I gave to the German institute.
Nothing else required