Get married home first! Taiwan refuse to give JFRV

hey, just wanna inform you taiwanese government reject my request for JFRV stating marriage must be recognise in home country. They want too see paper from marriage register of your home country authorized, legalized by their, taiwan embassady aka taipei office which covers your country.

So basically i need make a flight back home, deal wit recognasation of marriage in my eu country, than visiting responsible embassady which is btw in another eu country. Aplly for visitor visa. And than apply for jfrv in taiwan.

Am kinda shock, is super strange, and i do deeply regret not getting married first at home and making me, my friends and family happy. I was giving a big favour to wife and hers, while she could not check rightly her governemt criteria. Sad beggining of marriage.

I have no idea what happen after 90 days of visa exempt experied. They can excile me or what.

As well goverment does not recognise international driving license stating cause of retrospecity. I checked, taiwanese can actually drive in my native country, and reason taiwan does not let me drive is their gov. is not a member of international conference vienna 1968.

So situation is kinda depressive and sad. Allthough i like taiwan, it seems their gov. does not like foreigners and they can easily lie. I hardly see any real legal protection here for me so do i did take decision to create a family in good old europe. Wife is ok, actually she has no choice and i do not care what her parents want wit my life lol

I have to pieces of advice for you:

1.) Spell check. Seriously. I understand you may have written your post in a fury, but please make it easy for people to help you.

2.) Have the Taiwanese marriage certificate authenticated at your country’s representative office in Taipei and show the authenticated certificate to the NIA.

[quote=“hsinhai78”]I have to pieces of advice for you:

1.) Spell check. Seriously. I understand you may have written your post in a fury, but please make it easy for people to help you.

2.) Have the Taiwanese marriage certificate authenticated at your country’s representative office in Taipei and show the authenticated certificate to the NIA.[/quote]

He’s a non-native speaker of English: not everyone is perfect or even competent in a difficult foreign language and we should not be rude to those who don’t share our experiences, don’t you think?

You made a spelling mistake yourself, which was probably just a slip, however, your tone is extremely condescending and adolescent and I’m sure you didn’t mean to come across as such a toneless individual to someone venting and asking for advice in a difficult situation. English is an expressive language, in its written form, but it needs a light hand, I’m sure you’d agree?

Things must have changed. I remember I got married in Taipei at the Shihlin district court. And I didn’t have to have my marriage recognized in the USA (American citizen me). But I did have to get a piece of paper stating I had no criminal record in the USA before I got my JFRV.

Maybe because nowadays you don’t have to get married in a court, just at your local fuzz precinct? Maybe that’s the difference. But the TW govt recognizes marriage this way for Taiwanese so why not for furriners?

Be a bit responsible and stop spreading wrong information, taiwanese government demands a document from marriage register of spouse government authenticated by responsible taiwanese embassady. Any other way probably will be rejeacted. And please forgive me for not being native speaker. Chill,am not taking fake buxiban jobs from you, in fact am one of few foreigners who actually do bring money in.

Ok, from a Non Native speaker to another, I am not sure I got the story right, so let’s review the facts and correct me if I am wrong:

1.Did you get married abroad, in your Native country, to an ROC (Taiwan) citizen? Or did you marry here in Taiwan?

1. Did the ROC governent ask for proof of you being single? Or of you getting married abroad?

2. Where did you make this request for JFRV?

When I got married in Taiwan there was no such request. I had to get a criminal record check from Australia, and that’s it (Yes, thank you for the comment that everyone in Australia is a criminal).

In any case, the Australian government (neither national nor state) is interested in recording marriages that take place outside Australia. So there is no way that I could fulfil such a request, because they don’t do it. ]

and I still got a JFRV.

getting divorced is a lot harder.

I remember having to get an affidavit from the AIT (the US pseudo-embassy) stating that my marriage that took place here is recognized in the US.

Talk to the pseudo-embassy of your country; they should know the procedure if they are competent.

1. I did marry first in taiwan. Am married to taiwanese native wife
  2. I can not get JFRV, cause they want authenticated document from their - taiwanese embassady abroad, making sure my marriage from taiwan is recognised, accepted, acknowledges in my EU country. As i understand is general rule no matter from which country you actually coming from.
    3.BOCA, And is clearly written on their page.

I posted for others, not making same mistake as i did. Do no get too comfortable and trust your future spouse. My wife calles offices, so someone told her wrong informations. Standards of goverent communication are different here.Yea is my mistake trusting my wife too much. However am not going back just for JFRV. I do not really need it. Originally i planned stay here for year, improve my mandarin but we will go back to europe earlier.

Taiwanese have no need to now the delicate intricacies of immigration policies. They do not have contcat with them on daily life. As to foreign affairs officials stationed in representative offices, they are the last person you should ask about these things as they are not the ones involved here nor are they up to datye. The office in charge would be NIA, not really BOCA, they just stamp the papers. And to talk to them you would have to talk to them here.

I do sense that this inconvenience fits into your plans/desires. Good luck in your marriage endeveaur.

Out of curiosity: is there any nation in the UE that does not recognize a marriage held in Taiwan? In the world? Under what circunstances?

I mean, recently, the ol country decided to require more paperwork from foreign residents regarding their marriages in order to renew their residences, so they held a massive local ceremony in which hundreds of couples got married again in order to circunscribe this requisite. So making life complicated is not an exclusive trait of ROC’s gummit - and ther eis always a hole in the Law.

Hmmm…I am a Canadian and recently received my JFRV. I got married in Taipei and the NIA had no trouble accepting my marriage certificate issued by Taiwan. The only document that I needed to authenticated was my no criminal record and that I needed to go back to Canada to get it as it is a lot easier.

Well ofc i want to hold JFRV. This is reason why i apply for it in the first place. Thanks for nice wishes.

Am not saying ROC government is only government in world making life complicated for foreigners, their communication is a bit weird at least and probably wife has own responsibility for mess, yea sure they can do whatever they want and no one is taking this rights from them. Am not here to complaint their laws, but expect proper communication.

Well office at BOCA told me clearly only way to get JFRV is going back home and authenticated marriage registration documents from my country at their embassy. Will call NIA office and tell you their answers.

BTW: I think greece does not recognise marriages in taiwan. But do not take for granted

If you got married in Greece then yes you will need to have that marriage certificate from Greece authenticated by the Taiwanese embassy (cultural centre as they call it). While you are at it make sure you get your no criminal record and have it authenticated as well.

All the best!

I called NIA office and got answer they are indeed entitled for giving JFRV and their office does not need any paper from my government except criminal record (which i brought with me already).

However since i arrived here in taiwan on visa exempt i do need change to one visa, which duration is over 60 day. Am gonna check more information, and let you guys know how my issue got resolved in the end.

Clearly different government office giving different answer and wife called wrong offices.

quick trip to Hong Kong to apply for a resident visa providing you have all the necessary documents to qualify for the JFRV. I did that back in January and it took the Hong Kong office 48 hrs to issue my resident visa. Upon entry to Taiwan with a resident visa, you must head over to the NIA within 15 days to apply for your ARC.

[quote=“D-nice”]I called NIA office and got answer they are indeed entitled for giving JFRV and their office does not need any paper from my government except criminal record (which i brought with me already).

However since i arrived here in taiwan on visa exempt I do need change to one visa, which duration is over 60 day. Am gonna check more information, and let you guys know how my issue got resolved in the end.

Clearly different government office giving different answer and wife called wrong offices.[/quote]

Good to hear that you could find it out and saved yourself an unnecessary trip to home. We appreciate if you could keep us updated.
Just one piece of advise: You shouldn’t blame you wife for the wrong info. As you could see for yourself, it’s not easy to get the right information in Taiwan, especially if one doesn’t even know where to start looking for it. :2cents:

Not necessarily. Two people sitting next to each other in the same office can give completely different answers to the same question. I’ve also heard the “go back to your country” line from a guy at BOCA, in response to a completely different question. When I spoke with his colleague later, everything was fine. :slight_smile:

[quote=“D-nice”]I called NIA office and got answer they are indeed entitled for giving JFRV and their office does not need any paper from my government except criminal record (which i brought with me already).

However since i arrived here in taiwan on visa exempt I do need change to one visa, which duration is over 60 day. Am gonna check more information, and let you guys know how my issue got resolved in the end.

Clearly different government office giving different answer and wife called wrong offices.[/quote]

I really, really recommend NOT calling. Many things can be misunderstood/forgotten/misinterpreted over the phone. GO to any government office you ar interested in.

BTW, just to stir things up a bit, it just ocurred to me: go to the household Registration Office your wife’s hukou is registered at. Let’s see what can they do for you.

This whole story is pretty strange to me.
I did get married my Taiwanese wife in Taiwan first and everything was just fine with my arc (i got a 5 year permission of stay). They did not ask me anything else beyond the criminal records etc., they did not ask me anything about recognizing my marriage in my home-country. However, I was already living in Taiwan under work visa so i do not know if that makes any difference.
As for Greece, yes, since 2010 does not recognize anything from Taiwan (marriage documents included) as due to the financial crisis had to tighten its relations with China. Simple as that.
OP, your home-country does not have a Taiwan Office there? It makes no sense, to take your home country’s (let’s say X) documents and take them to Taiwan office in another country (let’s say France). The Taiwan office in France there is no freaking way to recognize/stamp official documents from another country.
Something really does not add up in your story. Does your country have an office here in Taiwan?

Just as an aside, don’t blame your wife for “anything” because blaming wife makes wife mad and wife mad makes your life bad :slight_smile: