Getting a car drivers license

Wouldn’t bank on that! In the 2 places I did the test that did not happen. On the road course the examiner said he wasn’t even allowed to confirm what route to take! Need to memorize the map in the office and hope for the best.

You can’t make an appointment online for the first test, once they have a record of your license, medical etc. you can use the online function to make the second or subsequent appointments. The online function is handy to check how busy a particular location is before bothering to turn up though.

Some locations will allow you to book a spot over the phone, some insist you do it in person if you cannot do it online.

3 Likes

Link To Previous post on my experience

I got mine in Shilin in ‘99 and still don’t know how I got it. I went in to get the English booklet but they told me they only had one copy so I had to read it there. After I read it I decided to take the written test just to see how hard it was. I passed and they then asked me if I wanted to take the driving test. I said sure as I wanted to see for myself how hard it really was.

Took the driving test in an automatic. Finished and told the instructor I’d be back in a couple of months after taking the driver’s course. He said ‘no need. you passed.’

Those were the days.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info everyone. Does anyone know if any of these driving schools operate outside the normal 8-4 mon thru friday hours? I work during those times.

Pretty much all of them! My local one is 6.30am to 9pm weekdays and 9-5 weekends. Note that not all will do 1 or 2 hour pre-test lessons.

1 Like

My test in America included parallel parking (though I took it in 2008).

If you don’t have a driver’s license that you can exchange, then you can go to the DMV (there’s one in Shilin), take the written test, and then take the driving test.

Here article may help you ! How to apply for a locally issued Taiwan driver’s license - Travel Taiwan During Covid-19