Getting a certified copy of a UK passport

Getting the usual run around, wondering if any one has recent experience or how to accomplish?

I require a certified copy of my UK passport, local notaries I have contacted all suggest the same “we cannot notarize foreign passport copies due to the regulation of Notary Law in Taiwan”

British office Taipei on the other hand is just as un-helpful “We are unable to offer certified copies of British passports for use in relation to UK banking, UK mortgage requests, or, where there is not a specific requirement for this service to be provided by the British Office Taipei (e.g. a formal requirement from the authorities of another jurisdiction, or a UK court requirement).”

2 Likes

Might be worth shooting a message or phone call in the direction of the ‘Taipei representative office’ in the UK.

first of all, you are not saying what the notarised copy is for. That helps a lot in giving advice.

Of course local notaries here would never certify a foreign document as they can’t ascertain the authenticity or that the signature of the officer issuing the document is authentic and the officer has proper power/authority to issue such a document.

It’s requested from a uk bank account, BOT will only help if a formal request from authorities.

As you say local notaries won’t touch it, i’ll ask my accountant but suspect they would give the same response as notaries, ala they can’t ascertain the authenticity

Next, guess i’ll try a local lawyer

I had documents issued in Ireland authenticated for use by public authorities in Taiwan on two occasions, on both occasions it was the Trade office in Dublin that authenticated it. For one they just stamped the document with no other step by me. On another occasion I had to get it stamped by a solicitor first before they would stamp it. If I needed a UK issued document authenticated I would ask the trade office in the UK.

That’s how it goes for the criminal record checks for sure. The TECO authenticates it and the BOCA authenticates the authentication.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, why did your UK bank ask you for this?

I’ve got like 5+ UK bank accounts, two of which I’ve had for decades and that don’t have my current passport details (or maybe any passport details) and three of which I opened about 7 years ago from Taiwan, and I’ve never needed anything like this. So I’m wondering why you do — it sounds like a hassle.

3 Likes

I’m probably over-complicating life… :sweat_smile:

It’s actually to open a HSBC uk share dealing service via HSBC expat/Jersey.

HSBC expat requires a min balance of £50k to maintain premier + no fees, allowing free global transfers from any HSBC to HSBC, a single debit card in multiple currencies/global money account, plus lets me get premier in other countries that I already have accounts uk/hkg but don’t reach premier eligibility), as well should allow me to open a HSBC TW account without fees or holding need to hold minimum balance.

Within Expat account itself, savings rates, TD’s and funds are not the best or somewhat costly, so I would prefer to just purchase an ETF with the funds. If I open a share dealing service through them the balance in that particular account can still count toward my minimum balance.

1 Like

HSBC Premier anywhere will let you open an account in Taiwan and you do not need to meet minimum balance here just in one location you have a HSBC Premier in. I opened HSBC premier Taiwan December 2023 as have existing Premier account in HSBC HK.

HSBC Taiwan offering up to 7% interest on USD fixed term deposit for new Premier account holders. until next month.

2 Likes