Getting a document notarized in US while abroad?

Help me get out of Malaysia

I’m currently trying to move to an Italian university but I need to complete some steps.

From what I gathered below, I need to get my High school diploma notarized by the notary public recommended by the Texas consulate for Italy. But I am obviously not in Texas so can I send it over? Don’t you have to be in person to get notarized? After I get it notarized I can proceed to get the Declaration of value to bring to the “embassy” in Taiwan to proceed.

https://conshouston.esteri.it/consolato_houston/en/i_servizi/per_i_cittadini/studi/dichiarazioni_di_valore

https://conshouston.esteri.it/resource/2013/06/57021_f_cons57HowtocertifyacademicdocumentsobtainedintheUnitedSt.doc

The AIT says they don’t notarized academic documents but is it because they’re not a real embassy?

Idk what’s up with the Italian embassy and consulates. I called and they’ve never picked up once or replied to any of my emails. They only called back once on a “emergency number” after they didn’t even pick up. A bit scary to think of if I’m an Italian citizen and needed emergency help like getting out of the country even the emergency number doesn’t get picked up.

1 Like

You might try calling/messaging your high school. Odds are good this wouldn’t be the first time they’ve been asked for a notarized copy of somebody’s HS transcript. Since notarizations are free in the US, you might get lucky and they might just mail a copy they get notarized for you.

Good luck. What a pain.

2 Likes

The school registrar should be able to notarize the transcript, but are you sure you don’t need it apostilled? This would be done by the Secretary of State of the US state the high school was in. There are dozens of companies who arrange this for a fee.

1 Like

You better get used to malignant slow bureaucracy of Italy, kind of nightmare. Taiwan is much much better in that. And if you r schools don’t make a total of 13 years, prepare to struggle being accepted by universities there…

1 Like

I’m actually confused on that part as well as no one from the Texas consulate will email me back or pick up or call me back. I’m talking about multiple emailed to multiple addresses and multiple messages to different numbers. It’s just ridiculous.

I believe it’s 12. For some people they actually require you to hunt down grades for all 12 years… or the equivalent.

No is 12 years of education, i think that’s pretty standard for most countries, the worst part is just getting it validated

That is why I am telling you it will be a struggle. If you did university, then they will ask you to bring that to be able to apply to a university in Italy because 12 years will not suffice. At least, so it was 10 years ago

12 years seems to be what it is now. Even Italy has 12 years required for their own students. What country does 13 years these days?

Wrong, italian course of study is 5 years primary, 3 years secondary, 5 years high school, before university

Ok, they only require 12 from the information I gathered. I did manage to contact the Italian “embassy” in Taipei where they told me that part. But Houston had been no help. No one will respond.

“To be eligible for enrollment in the Italian university system, you must be at least 17 years old and have completed 12 years of schooling.”

Studyinitaly.esteri.it

How does no one answer the phone or any email??!?! I’ve called multiple consulates from different states and even that won’t work.

Do you guys think if I contact the AIT they can help? I’m a US citizen and need help abroad, maybe they can give me a number?

1 Like

You mean I keep calling :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Your high school on Christmas break?
Most schools are now closed for 2 weeks.
I’d call your high school and have them notarize the diploma themselves. Mention you’ll throw in a donation.

Sent them a email. But it’s Christmas break, Christian prep school so they give people time off for Christmas.

Then call Jan. 2, if not Jan. 3 after first bell rings.

2 Likes

Oh, this is Texas! Did you see this?

www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/forms/apostilles.pps

It’s 15 USD (they take credit cards for a small extra charge) per document. They need original documents which, in the case of diplomas, are already notarized (to confirm the signature of the school official–this would probably have to be done by the school registrar). You then send the original document to

Office of the Secretary of State
Government Filings Section
PO Box 13550
Austin, TX 78711-3550

1-(512)-463-5705
Authentications@sos.texas.gov

(They don’t say how to handle SASEs for return of your diploma)

Are these the contact numbers you tried, and they didn’t work?

3 Likes

I’m not sure why you need to contact to Italian consulate to get your US diploma notarized.

FYI

How to certify academic documents obtained in the United States for foreign use
https://conshouston.esteri.it/resource/2013/06/57021_f_cons57HowtocertifyacademicdocumentsobtainedintheUnitedSt.doc

Apostille
https://conshouston.esteri.it/consolato_houston/en/i_servizi/per_i_cittadini/apostilleok.html

Notary
https://conshouston.esteri.it/consolato_houston/en/i_servizi/per_i_cittadini/notarile

1 Like