Getting a harddrive removed -- where?

I’ve been looking but can’t find my answer. Here’s what I’m looking for:

I have an old laptop that won’t boot-up anymore and just want to remove the harddrive to see if I can still salvage the contents. I don’t want them to resurrect a bad hard drive – just remove it and put it into one of those covers they sell at computer stores.

Is that something I could ask a store to do for me (e.g., one of the stores across from the Taipei Train Station) for free if I buy a cover or a new external hard drive on the spot?

Thanks!

[quote=“SB6”]I’ve been looking but can’t find my answer. Here’s what I’m looking for:

I have an old laptop that won’t boot-up anymore and just want to remove the harddrive to see if I can still salvage the contents. I don’t want them to resurrect a bad hard drive – just remove it and put it into one of those covers they sell at computer stores.

Is that something I could ask a store to do for me (e.g., one of the stores across from the Taipei Train Station) for free if I buy a cover or a new external hard drive on the spot?

Thanks![/quote]

You could certainly ask. A lot of them are really good about that sort of thing, especially if they think they’ll lose your business otherwise.

On some laptops, it’s REALLY easy to remove the hard drive. Do you know the make/model of yours?

Just… do it yourself?

On most of them, the hard drive is simply screwed into the side. On my Dell, for example, it’s the right side. There is a small indentation and 2 small screws. Unscrew it and pull it out - viola! Take the laptop casing off and put it into an external USB casing or whatever.

You could google for it and probably get some instructions with pictures.

How old is it?

As in as much as it’s a piece of pie to do, if the hard drive is thicker than 9.5mm you won’t be able to fit it in an external drive case and many larger, older notebooks used 12.5mm drives.

Also, it’s most likely going to be an IDE drive, so don’t get the wrong type of external case for it, as most of them these days use SATA.

[quote=“irishstu”]ould certainly ask. A lot of them are really good about that sort of thing, especially if they think they’ll lose your business otherwise.

On some laptops, it’s REALLY easy to remove the hard drive. Do you know the make/model of yours?[/quote]

Yeah, it’s a Dell and I’m going to buy a small screwdriver today to see if I can just take it out. I don’t have a cover for yet, but that’s OK for now.

If it’s a 12.5mm drive, then you can get something like this shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 1D&ROWNO=2 if you just want to get the data copied off the drive.
It connects to the USB port on your computer in one end and to the drive on the other.
Dell tended to stick a lot of 12.5mm drives in their cheaper notebooks in the past, so there’s a fairly big chance you’ve got a drive that’s too fat to fit in any external drive cases.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]If it’s a 12.5mm drive, then you can get something like this shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 1D&ROWNO=2 if you just want to get the data copied off the drive.
It connects to the USB port on your computer in one end and to the drive on the other.
Dell tended to stick a lot of 12.5mm drives in their cheaper notebooks in the past, so there’s a fairly big chance you’ve got a drive that’s too fat to fit in any external drive cases.[/quote]

Hey! Thanks for the info – it really helps.