Getting a job as a non-native English speaker in Taiwan

Hi everyone, I am planning to move to Taiwan because my girlfriend is there. So, I am wondering if I get any professional jobs as a non-native English speaker in Taiwan. I am getting a master’s degree in Teaching English as a Second Language from California State University. But, I am a Korean native speaker and do not have a passport of English speaking country. In this situation, would my job hunting be extremely difficult?

Yes it would be difficult

teach Korean. In high demand here.

7 Likes

OP, I agree, I think getting a (legal) job teaching Korean would be less difficult in your situation. As Lao_Wang mentioned, Korean is getting more and more popular in Taiwan (at least with the high school students I talk with).

Global Village Language School offers classes in English, Japanese, and Korean. Perhaps check them out.

3 Likes

I think there is a Korean school in Taipei.
Do you qualify to teach there?

1 Like

Once you and your girlfriend get married, it will get extremely easy.

3 Likes

Getting married is a good option for you in many ways . You may as well if you are moving to Taiwan anyway .

2 Likes

Yeah, but don’t get married just to make it easier to come to Taiwan. It can make your life more complicated in many other ways…

2 Likes

There is a Korean school, and they’re a nice bunch of people. Their English teachers are mostly English speaking Asians. OP get in touch with them, it’s a good place to work.

1 Like

Teaching Korean has already been suggested. It’s a good idea.

However, I disagree that finding a job teaching English would be as difficult as people say. I’ve posted ads online and collected resumes for cram schools on two occasions (as a favor to the owners) and was surprised that perhaps 60% of the applications came from non-native speakers, most of whom had names you would recognize on their resumes. Two of the three hires that came from the search were from non-native speaking countries (according to the gov’t). However, all were in the country legally and had some other support for their ARC.

2 Likes

this is the most important point, imo.

1 Like

Hence…Marriage.
If he’s serious about her it’s the easiest route.

1 Like

Yes, I was nearly done with my post when I realized the same.

I remember that a few people needed visas for the jobs, which were part-time and, as they were currently employed by chain schools, I sort of assumed they were being sponsored but didn’t dig in that deeply.

You know that she has to agree, right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

How far are you off finishing this? and is the course in taught in English?

1 Like

I am graduating this December. Yes, I am an international student here and all academic courses were taught in English in the United States.