Getting a scooter licence after getting a car licence

I swapped my home country car licence for a Taiwanese car licence and now I want to get my local scooter licence here. Which test do I book? The one with the safety awareness lesson and the written test, or the one that just has the riding test?

Riding test only. (edit: I guess the rule has changed since I got my scooter license after exchanging a car license in 2017.)

3 Likes

Didn’t they change the regulations some time ago so both test are required now…?

2 Likes

yes.

2 Likes

Yeah, this answer is not correct. As posted above, even with a car license, you still need to take and pass written and riding test to get medium/heavy motorcycle license.

I edited my response. Although it seems like a dumb policy. If you know how drive a car you know the rules of the road already. Scooter rules are not much different than they are for cars. Typical Taiwan to make you take a test…

2 Likes

Maybe they want everyone to watch the scooter video of scooters being hit by trucks, cars, and other scooters.

Does anyone know what would be the fine by the police, if I rent a scooter (assuming I get one) in Taiwan (Kenting) without a local scooter licence, but just an international drivers licence (only for car though)?

Edit: Rent and drive a 50cc scooter with an international car licence is not legal in Taiwan, or is it?

Edit2: What about renting and driving an electric scooter with an IDL?

You might try downloading GoShare or WeMo apps, and adding your IDP as your driving licence. If it would be illegal, they won’t approve your licence and you won’t be able to use their rental bikes.

I would also like to know if I can ride a green-plate scooter (under 50cc) if I ONLY have a Taiwan car license, and no scooter license.

I know this was legal at one point, but some say the law has changed while others say it hasn’t.

I know there has been some discussions about this here and in other threads, but I still haven’t found a definitive answer.

Road Traffic Management and Penalty Act

Article 22

In the event of any of the followings, car drivers shall be fined from NT$1,800 to NT$3,600 and be prohibited from driving:
五、領有聯結車、大客車、大貨車或小型車駕駛執照,駕駛輕型機車。但中華民國一百十二年四月十四日修正之條文施行前已取得該汽車駕駛執照者,不在此限。

道路交通安全規則 (民國 111 年 11 月 29 日 )
第 61 條
汽車駕駛人取得高一級車類之駕駛資格者,應換發駕駛執照,並准其駕駛較低級車類之車輛,其規定如下:
四、已領有小型車駕駛執照者,得駕駛輕型機車。
機車駕駛執照於吊扣期間或經吊銷後,不得持汽車駕駛執照駕駛輕型機車。

3 Likes

Thanks!

Translation for anyone who needs it:

Driving green-plate scooters (under 50cc) with a car license is legal. (I’m paraphrasing here.)

if your license was obtained before july 1, 2023, and you have never got a license for u50cc scooters.

As in today? What a coincidence.

Well I’m glad I just got my car license a couple of months ago then! I’ve been putting it off for a while now.

1 Like

What happens when the license expires and needs to be renewed (licenses for foreigners are only valid for 5 (?) years)? Will I lose my ability to drive a green plate motorcycle then?

The law reads more like as long as you obtained in past and did not get it revoked or suspended, you should be fine.