Getting a sportsbike in Taiwan

How hard is it to get a sportsbike in Taiwan? I’m thinking of living in Taiwan for maybe 6-12 months (work is remote) and would like to get a Ninja 300 or better, if possible. I’ve heard prices for bikes in Taiwan are 3x in the US and I’ve had trouble finding places. The other issue is I’ve heard anything 250cc+ requires you to have a years riding experience in Taiwan on a white plate. I’m fine with getting a bike 2nd hand and am wondering about how hard it would be not just to pick up a decent bike but then selling it if/when I leave Taiwan later. I’m Australian, decent mandarin, have a full motorcycle license there (several years riding experience outside Taiwan) and an International Drivers Permit, and have ridden around all of Taiwan on a scooter twice before.

1 Like

I’m going to assume this is a bike more than 250cc right?

Yes they’re expensive because motorcycles have turned into some kind of luxury items, regardless of what market the product was made for. I do not know if the normal Taiwanese moto makers make heavier bikes that may not have so much regulations and stuff attached, but if you’re looking for something cheap, that’s the way to go. Otherwise make do with something under 250cc.

But basically anything red or yellow plate seems to be seen as a a badge of honor and people will pay 3x MSRP to get that bragging right. So I would say it’s not hard to get but be ready to open your wallet. You probably pay less for a brand new Mercedes C class though, and to me that’s a better badge of honor to have.