Getting a teaching degree in Taiwan

Hi,

Has anyone obtained a teaching degree in Taiwan or know any universities that offer this?
So far, I’ve found Chiayi University offering a course in English but I’m keen to find others.

Thanks for any help!

Anyone??

From what I’ve heard, your Chinese had better be fantastic to take the class in “English” at Chiayi University…

You can get a teaching degree from the College of New Jersey.

offsitegrad.pages.tcnj.edu/

Brilliant, thanks for that!

You’re welcome. It’s not cheap though!

Although it says “graduate program” in the title, you can just complete enough courses for a certificate, you’ll get a state of NJ teaching license that’ll last you for life. You can do the graduate degree with just a few more classes though.

Check the testing and student teaching requirements carefully. Also, although I don’t know New Jersey specifically, I don’t know of any teaching certificate that “lasts for life”. Most everything requires approved professional development hours for renewal these days.

And Taiwan’s stance on online degrees should also be taken into account, if the OP would like to teach in Taiwan.

What’s their stance on online degrees? I was planning on getting one (never got to finish mine…)

[quote=“ironlady”]Check the testing and student teaching requirements carefully. Also, although I don’t know New Jersey specifically, I don’t know of any teaching certificate that “lasts for life”. Most everything requires approved professional development hours for renewal these days.

And Taiwan’s stance on online degrees should also be taken into account, if the OP would like to teach in Taiwan.[/quote]

I’ve already talked to them about this. There isn’t any of that BS you have to do to maintain the NJ teachers license unless you are teaching in the State of New Jersey. This institution is taking advantage of the fact that NJ has some of the loosest requirements for maintaining a teachers license so people can take the program and be international school teachers living abroad indefinitely without having to jump through all the hoops of the professional development and other bullshit.

They do require student teaching and you have to pass the Praxis exam.

The entire program is done in person with a real live instructor in Hsinchu, with the exception of one course that is done online.

Online degrees are generally not recognized in Taiwan.

University of Phoenix is recognized. Not sure about any other universities.