Getting a teaching job

Hey guys,

I just finished my studies at uni in Australia and i am super keen to get out of my situation here and come to Taiwan. The bad news is that i can’t actually get a physical copy of my graduation certificate from uni until February when the graduation ceremony is being held. The good news is that i can readily obtain an official statement of graduation from my uni which they say i can show employers in the meantime until i get my real graduation certificate.

Ok, so would an official statement of graduation from my uni suffice for employers in Taiwan, especially those wanting to hire English teachers? I would tell these employers that i can show them my graduation certificate once its been sent to me in the mail.

Thank a million

Most places aren’t hiring until after February anyway. Why not just come then?

Otherwise, you can certainly start looking and just explain your situation to potential employers in the meantime. I think your uni’s statement of proof might suffice, but iirc you still need to get a copy of your degree certified or notarized once you attain it. For the US, that’s TECO or Taipei Economic and Cultural Office, which you send it to. Don’t know who you would send it to in Australia.

Honestly, I’d just come in February. It’s only 3 months.

to get a work permit, transcript certificate with graduation or degree date may be recognized.

If you graduate from a school in Australia in the reference list of MOE, degree doesn’t need to be authenticated.

Full-time Foreign Teacher in Cram School(SOP Manual)
https://ws.wda.gov.tw/Download.ashx?u=LzAwMS9VcGxvYWQvMzIxL3JlbGZpbGUvMC8yNTE2L2MyMmVhNWQ5LThiZWUtNDkyZi1hOTg3LWFlYTk1MWZjNTE5ZC5wZGY%3D&n=RnVsbC10aW1lIEZvcmVpZ24gVGVhY2hlciBpbiBDcmFtIFNjaG9vbChTT1AgTWFudWFsKS5wZGY%3D

In the meantime, you can hang out with @Uncreativeusername who has just returned to Australia. He enjoys the occasional beer and can give you a great intro to life in Taiwan.

2 Likes

I would suggest not being in too much of a hurry to get over here. Rushing into new jobs over here often leads to disappointment. Take some time, research the island and the teaching market, and then make a choice. No idea about your “statement of graduation,” but whatever school you’re looking at should be able to tell you if they’re legal.

1 Like

You could look into getting a working holiday visa. They’re easy to obtain. Fill out a form on Taiwan’s visa application website, print it out. Vaccinations, X-Ray, your GP’s signature, proof of savings ($3000AUD IIRC) and a handwritten motivation letter with reasons other than work why you want to spend a year in Taiwan. Approval is virtually guaranteed as long as you meet the requirements and provide enough documents, since so few apply.