Getting a work permit in the UK

I put this here because I don’t know where to put it.

I read somewhere here (can’t remember where) that it’s relatively easy to get a work permit in the UK. Does anyone have any more information on this? Useful links work too.

I’m currently working in the US government. I have a master’s in applied mathematics and I know R and Python.

I went to (mostly Eastern) Europe last summer, and had a good time and would like to move there. UK makes the most sense because of language.

It’s not easy from what I was told. Naturalization is probably Easier from what I understand. However you might have a better chance as now EU citizens will also need to go through tier 2 visa unless they’ve applied for settlement before the end of this year.

I’m sure it’s easier than some, but definitely not easy unless you’re talking about a company who is sending you there. Sponsorship is hard to find.

UK is in the process of allowing international student who graduated in the UK to stay and work on a 2 year visa before the virus hit. No new news on it during this but it is planned for graduates of 2021 class. The idea is to make up for EU students not coming. Not a bad idea to draw more talent all over the world besides the EUropean mainland. I will say it certainly is working as that’s what I’m going for.

1 Like

What’s your current situation? are you employed? are you studying in the UK? Why the UK.

Unless a company is sending you, getting a work permit in the UK is very difficult.
It might be a bit easier if you are pretty good at math, engineering, or STEM subjects in general; as there is a bit of a local shortage of these skills. But even then, it’s not guaranteed.

Naturalisation is completely different, you need to have lived in the country for 5 (sometimes 6 years) already and it will cost you about 1,600GBP (2,000USD)

1 Like

do you mean to switch to tier 2 visa in the UK?

1 Like

Thanks. I need to be more specific in my OP.

I am currently employed in the USA, not studying in the UK.

I was in Europe last summer and I wish to move there, anywhere, and UK seemed the most logical because of language.

Ok given your skills I’d say you have a decent chance.

Locals are notoriously bad at STEM subjects, and these jobs are often done by foreigners, usually chinese, indian, some europeans.

One of the criteris to give out a work permit, is that the employer has to prove it is difficult to hire a local for the job, and usually it is!

Especially now without people from the mainland being able to just comE and work. Even playing field.

I don’t like Brexit but oh well, might as well take advantage.

1 Like

Good luck. I remember you’re in STEM, always in demand anywhere.

However…you might not get as many competition against Europeans from the continent, but you might get a lot from India and Asia now that everyone knows the rules has changed. This year, schools were flooded with Indians and Chinese students applying. More than usual.

A post was split to a new topic: I don’t talk funny – I’m an American!

Btw thank you. Are you applying for school there?

1 Like

I’m doing my masters there. Got into a good program that is top 10 for finance. Was nervous because I was rejected from a few other top schools before. But it worked out and even got a small scholarship.

Would it be feasible to go there on a traveler’s visa and look for work?

Congratulations

1 Like

That’s not really how the uk job market works, jobs that would give you a work permit are often advertised online.
You get all the visa/work permit sorted before you enter the country. once you have it in place you have a set amount of time to make the move (think its 3months but not sure).

1 Like

In terms of what? time, cost, visa?

I dont see why not, but i’d try to at least line up some interview before coming, you dont know how long the process will take, and living in London without a job ain’t cheap…!

1 Like

If he is visa free he will still have to leave the UK to apply for a Tier 2 visa.

Eligibility

You must already be in the UK under any of the following visas or schemes:

• Tier 1 visa
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa
  • Tier 2 (Minister of religion) visa
  • Tier 2 (Intra company Transfer) visa under the Immigration Rules in place before 6 April 2010 and you’re applying to change sponsor
  • Tier 4 visa - if you have an eligible qualification, will complete your course in 3 months, or you’ve done at least 12 months of a PhD
  • Start-up visa
  • Innovator visa

You can also switch to a Tier 2 (General) visa if you’re:

• a dependent partner of someone with a Tier 4 visa
  • a representative of an overseas business

You must leave the UK and make your Tier 2 (General) application from abroad if you’re not in any of these categories.

1 Like

So if I get an offer what category would I fall under that makes me eligible?

that will all depend on the position, you will need to find look what jobs are available in your field, then see if they meet the criteria on the gov.uk website.

You can also do it the other way around, see if you meet the criteria then find a position.
There maybe some agents online that can help you organise all the paperwork etc.