Getting Covid Positive Toddler to ER

Could someone shed light on what the procedure is now for getting a COVID positive child into the ER? We just went to one and it was like something out of a movie with the waiting area outside in the parking garage, and a 5-hour wait for my kid to take a PCR test before being allowed to see a doctor. Have I misunderstood something. Is this the way it is supposed to be? What if my kid needs to see a doctor like, in an emergency?

Probably calling an ambulance would be the SOP in the event of a medical emergency. Not sure it gets you to the front of the line, but I imagine it’s faster than walking in.

1 Like

It depends on which city you live in. There are dedicated children PCR hospitals in some cities, such as Hsinchu, where 2 hospitals are designated to offer 24 hr children only PCR stations. And yes, they will always be outdoors.

For Taipei City, there are dedicated children PCR place at the Taipei City Hospital Women And Children, Mackay Memorial hospital, and the MRT Mucha depot, but you have to make an appointment via their app.

Technically you don’t need to goto the ER if the baby is just having a fever. These are the signs to go to an ER immediately.

1. Fever lasting over 48 hours, or fever above 39°C plus shivering or cold sweats.
  2. After the fever breaks, the child still shows difficulty in moving or lack of movements.
  3. After the fever breaks, the child continues to hyperventilate, be out of breath, feeling chest discomfort or chest pain.
  4. Repeated vomiting, continuous head or stomach pain.
  5. Unable to eat or pee for over 12 hours.

For toddlers under 1 with mild symptoms, you can do a RAT test, if it’s positive then contact local department of health to get a doctor to verify the result. Also, get Antiphen to lower the fever.

1 Like

Yes but by that logic everybody that goes to the ER should arrive in an ambulance.

Thanks for this, it’s very helpful.