Getting Married in Taiwan

Does the Taiwanese bride also need certification of no impediment to marriage (like the foreigner’s affidavit of single status, notarized e.g. at AIT), or will the lack of a marriage on her household registry suffice? :help:

The marital status of any ROC citizen is recorded on their ID card, so that should do, along with chops etc.

When you go to the courthouse and book a time (has to be done 3 dys in advance), you may ask them what they want to see.

Thanks! The notary we called 3 days in advance didn’t mention such a doc but I am just trying to be extra cautious so everything goes smoothly. :smiley: I figured the info would be on the household registry but forgot that it might be on her ID. EDIT: looks like Mr He is right.

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]
In New Zealand check the Department of Courts here
courts.govt.nz/publications/ … 0clearance
and download their form. You need to get someone at home to fill some things out for you, so send it to them and get them to fill it out[/quote]
Just a quick update to that link that’s since changed. It’s now: justice.govt.nz/privacy/
It also seems that you don’t need anyone back in NZ to fill out anything unless you can’t supply a photocopy of your passport or NZ driver’s licence.

What about if two foreigners want to get married in Taiwan? What then?

I dont see why not.

Hello Everybody
First time poster.
just book marking this thread so I can reference it later.

I am currently going through the steps of getting married, applying for JFRV, OWP etc.
Looks like a fun journey. :loco: So far this has been a mountain of information.

Many thanks to OP.

Do we need the certificate of no impediment before we marry?
Also, are we not legally married until after the ceremony when we have to fill in the certificates and register them?

cheers.

I also am trying to sort through all this.
Agreement to marry downloaded from AIT website acs.ait.org.tw/marriage-info.html
Affidavit of single status, downloaded from same site
Appointment for Notary services at AIT pursuant to their same website. Does this English affidavit need to be translated? Does it need authentication from MOFA?
Any hints or suggestion would be appreciated.

The info is readily available all over this site and I covered it briefly here: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 9#p1609349

Note that the AIT form is written in both English and Chinese. You don’t need a translation.

But you do need to take it to the MOFA’s Bureau of Consular Affairs in Taipei (on Jinan Rd.) to get it authenticated. That only takes two or three days, though.

I have the same question?

Hi Guys,

So I am preparing to get married in June. I will be getting my documents authenticated by the consulate and then by the BOCA.
Does anyone know, at what point I need the English to Chinese translation to be done? After to before BOCA?
Also, ideas what notary can translate it for me in Taichung?

Will appreciate your help.

i know this thread is old but i didn’t want to open a new one for my question.

is it still required to show a criminal record check for marriage registration? based on the information of the household registration offices, only a single status certificate translated and notarized by tw embassy is required.

i want to be sure and double-check that i have all the right documents because i don’t want to waste any time because of some missing documents flying back and forth.

Yes, criminal background check needed from your home country, within the last 3 months. It is then sent to the overseas Taiwan “rep” office for notarization (or get stamped), for which you then include with your marriage registration in Taiwan as a foreigner to a local person.

do you have a link where it says you need a criminal record certificate? because i couldn’t find that requirement anywhere. i’m still gonna request one just to be on the safe side but i’m curious where does it state that you need one

Isn’t it to get some kind of visa or Arc based on the marriage? Just to get married, ill check later if anyone will not reply soon.

considering I had to do it. I never looked for a link. I was just told I needed one.
If your wife/husband is Taiwanese, s/he can easily call the local district office and confirm this.

i don’t intend to live in taiwan, so it’s not about a visa/arc.

yes, she asked there and they said single status certificate was required only.
but i’ve seen others on the internet saying that you’ll need a criminal background check as well. even a health check, i highly doubt that.

but as mentioned before, i’ll get the first two documents translated and notarized just to be sure.

it’s just confusing, when everyone is telling something different.

I think I also had to get proof that I was not currently married (registered as being married) in my home country.

Then, Chinese info is ok?

This is the government instruction page for marriage registration.

No word for criminal record there.

Taipei City government info in English
https://nite.taipei/cp.aspx?n=5FDE8FDC5B2E7279&s=862DDFE7D4FACE3F