Getting Parents Over to Taiwan

Sucks, right? I just learned about it. Same problem with bringing adult children. Those over 20. Or is it 18? Dunno.

I wish there’s a dependent or some kind of family reunification visa.

1 Like

This has long been a problem in Taiwan, as shown in this thread. It’s also the subject of a powerful and at-times infuriating feature-length story by @StevenCrook in today’s Taipei Times. If you only read one thing related to Taiwan today, make it this.

Guy

9 Likes

This turn out to be nothing but I’m still posting it here since it came out today.

4 Likes

Nothing going to happen anytime soon. I had fun times with Bert in Taipei. Great he was here.
Australia has a 30 year waiting list to bring in an aged parent. Taiwan does not have a retirement visa

Are you sure? According to a friend, the rules keep changing in Australia, and now the Australian government is monetizing it by charging $$$$$ for folks to sponsor lineal ascendants.

Guy

A great article. @StevenCrook keeps nailing it.

Guy

1 Like

According to a friend? OK

Mar 20, 2023 — The Parent visa (subclass 103) costs approximately $6,490 and has a 30-year waiting list, making it impracticable

Most people therefore opt for the Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143), which costs approximately $47,825 and has a comparatively ‘short’ 6-year waiting list. Cost is per parent.

Also half the children of the sponsored parent must be residents of Australia.
Immigration and citizenship Website

1 Like

Yes I had placed five $$$$$ in a row in my post above as I had heard it is currently a five figure fee to get lineal ascendents resident status in Australia.

Guy

Plus the up to 12 year waiting list and requiring half the children of the parent to be resident in Australia.

From Immigration Australia

Processing times

A new Contributory Parent visa application may take at least 12 years to process.

If they charged me to bring my mama, I’d pay happily.

As per the article, the current system encourages breaking the law because the law is not taking foreigners’ needs or rather, human needs, into consideration.

It could be as simple as charging, making sure we have insurance and income, whatever. But residents would stay longer and take roots that way, and the system can’t have that, can it?

2 Likes

Yes it may well be the sawing the kid in half that is the trickiest step in this modern day Abraham-and-Issac migration test.

Guy

2 Likes

Meet the one child China policy to understand why the long waiting list.

I’d pay that if my mom could come here and I wouldn’t even be salty about it. Options are good.

3 Likes

She can come on a visitor visa and live here as well. It’s what other people do. It’s not the end of the world doing visa runs. There’s an option for you. :slight_smile:

The issue is that there is a point, an age, in which visa runs are not feasible. Health issues stand in the way too.

Then there are the unexpected, feom delays say by typhoon or even a lost document, or as portrayed in the Taipei Times story, an overstay. Not to mention COVID or the next plague. A visa run is not a trouble free, sure given way to stay.

Moreover, as in the TT story example, you will always be at the “mercy” of the “benevolent” authorities. Your stay depends on the decision of an official, not an SOP, but also, as per the TT story, something that might be enforced if they feel like…or not. Hence living in fear and uncertainty.

In a more civilized arrangement, one’s stay would not be so unsure.

1 Like

Sure, which countries want 75 year old retirees to get residency? One’s stay on the planet is less sure at at that age. It’s not like typhoons are not known about several days before they may arrive.

I’d say most of the Americas and Europe, plus a few Asian countries allow retirees. All they need is evidence of funds. There is a minimum of course, but if you got a pension or savings, you can move from cold northern countries into warmer climate.

It’s like the current fad of digital nomads. Most places have the requirements set out so people can stay longer legally with provisions.

Receiving countries get taxes and folks that spend. Services are provided. There is mutual benefit and the rules are basically clear.

Moreover, as stated before, for a place that prides itself in filial duty, this gap is problematic. And there are provisions to allow it, just not for everyone.

2 Likes

i think its more to keep out Afghanis or Pakistanis with 8 kids, but only 1 in Australia.

Not a great solution, but the gold card at least allows for stays up to one year. It’s an improvement if you can get it.

Bali has one… https://bali.com/retirement-visa/
Malaysia has one Malaysia Retirement Visa - Eligibility and Application
Thailand looks good Retiring in Thailand: 3 considerations to keep in mind - The Australian-Thai Chamber of Commerce (AustCham)
Want to spend your golden years in Europe? These are the countries with the best retirement visas | Euronews