Getting Parents Over to Taiwan

Nope. Balance of family test. So if you have 3 children 2 would need to be residents in Australia. Most families don’t have half their children living in Australia. When Australia granted PR to all those Chinese legally in Australia on Student Visa’s after that little incident in some square in Beijing, it opened up the balance of family test to a flood of applications. As places are limited the queue backed up. It has nothing to do with people from Afghanistan or Pakistan. Migration programs have limited numbers of visa’s to be issued each year.

I doubt Taiwan will open a retiree type visa program any time soon.

It would be foolish to do so, they need young people who will work and breed before retiring. Why waste NHI and expensive housing on old foreigners when they can’t or won’t bring in the foreigners they actually need?

Yep, better have the housing empty. It is worth s gazillion zillion. Rentals are too cheap and anyways when the Chinese come, they will pay the gazillion zillion the landlord wants for it.

You are not wrong, but the balance of family test is a seemingly objective test, but in reality skewed against immigrants from the “brown world” where large families are more common.
you are right that migration programs are limited, and first world countries add these tests to limit the number of the poor and uneducated coming into their country.
Its up to them to decide the policy of course, but you can imagine that a well educated higher class family (which tend to have fewer kids) is more likely to pass this test than a rural family from a developing country .

Erh no it is not skewed against any country. Many people in the UK EU USA have 3 or more children as do many others around the world. In any case a 30 year waiting list sort of makes the dependent aged visa moot. Just come on one of the other visa programs Australia has. Just no PR and you have to have your own income and pay your own health and other costs.

Yeah but guess what. it’s not a right to move to a foreign country in the first place. :slight_smile:

Some law firms in Australia require partners to retire at 55. It’s legal. My cousin just retired as CEO of DHL Australia. Mandatory age retirement after he built it up to a billion dollar enterprise in a small populated country.

It’s also an irrelevant test. The test should be whether the person coming to stay here is beneficial to the state. End of story. Why would anyone care where the rest of the siblings are?

What about when she gets old and has health problems? I don’t want to leave but between her and Taiwan, I will choose her. I make enough that even divided by 2, or 3 or 4 for that matter, I can pass all salary requirements. It’s in Taiwan’s national interests to keep me here even if it means a bunch of non-contributing dependents are coming along for the ride.

1 Like

Is that so? Maybe government officials do not share that view?
Maybe Taiwan does not want non contributing people to be here?

Perhaps the burden of taking care of the parents should fall on those other siblings? That’s why Australia has a balance of family test for aged dependent visa. Anyway they can use retiree or other visa’s to live in Australia…

I was talking about finances specifically. Subjective views have nothing to do with it. It’s simple math.

When she needs help, we will be a package. Either they keep the combination of a highly contributing (contributing enough to support multiple households) and a non-contributing person or they lose both.

3 Likes

With the widespread rollout of senior and special professional schemes to attract and retain folks like @Whatevah , the government of Taiwan very much does share this view. And the lack of a meaningful pathway for family reunification for many (not all) of these professionals remains a problem.

Full disclosure: When I received designation as a “senior professional,” the NIA official in Taipei made a big deal of telling me that it would in fact be possible for me to sponsor my parents to live in Taiwan if I wished. There are, at this time, something like 100 of us in this category in Taiwan, among a foreign community numbering close to 700,000 or 800,000. :neutral_face:

Guy

5 Likes

I agree there should be a legal pathway to sponsor a dependent parent. I just don’t see it being allowed anytime soon.

Well looks like you have made plans for that eventuality.

Put that in writing did that NIA official? There is no pathway for this and they know that. I am just a mere mortal low level citizen and I cannot bring my remaining parent here if I wanted to on an ARC. So until they have a retiree or aged dependent visa class for bringing parents over the only way is visitor visa’s.