Getting Taiwanese Dual Citizenship if Australian...and not Fifieldt - If Canadian, I Need Your Help

Unfortunately he can’t answer, due to being suspended since many years ^^

He got it back a long time ago.

Although… he uses it as a money saving method as he makes frequent trips abroad for diving trips.

When going to the Philippines for example an evisa will cost $1,632NTD. But by using his Australian passport it is free on entry…

Considering he seems to make a trip every 2 months (even during covid restrictions he went a couple of times) he is saving quite a lot by having that passport despite not needing it for anything else…

1 Like

More power to him.

Be careful claiming you get an RRV if renouncing Australian citizenship. I didn’t as I had not lived in Australia so was not eligible for one. In Justin’s case he will be in Australia when he renounces so will get one. Then after getting Tarc he will simple resume citizenship.

Those who live outside of Australia and renounce maybe not be able to get an RRV.

4 Likes

If you renounce within Australia
You are automatically issued an ex-citizen visa which is a permanent resident visa but does not allow you to leave Australia. If you leave Australia on an ex-citizen visa then you won’t be able to re-enter Australia. You should apply for a RRV BEFORE leaving Australia as an ex-citizen. You need to prove a connection to Australia but time residing in Australia counts so it is likely the RRV will be more or less automatically issued. Or else be stuck outside of Aus while you wait for visa processing.

If your renounce outside of Australia:
You do not receive an ex citizen visa or any other visa. You are a foreigner in every legal sense with no rights to enter Australia. You can apply for a RRV which you need to do BEFORE entering Australia. You just need to prove a connection to Australia (work/family/education/ financial whatever) easy to do if you grew up in Australia. Perhaps not so easy for someone who became an Aus citizen by descent and never lived there. It’s also not a good idea to apply for a visitors visa/ETA as this can make it more difficult to get a RRV in the future.

Unlike Taiwan, permanent visas are… permanent. But the travel facilities (entering leaving aus) are not permanent. You need to renew your travel facility periodically, usually every 5 years. You will always be a permanent resident. Some people screw themselves by applying for a visitor visa for a short trip cos their travel facility expired but this effectively cancels your permanent visa and has you starting again (or requires legal help)

Edit: So the benefit of renouncing from within Australia is that you are never without some form of legal status allowing you to work and reside within Australia (and as a side note, also New Zealand) and it will likely be easier to apply for a RRV.

Edit 2: I’m planning on renouncing and then resuming my citizenship before my renunciation papers are submitted to the Household registration office :sweat_smile: . So I will never have a RRV unless they take too long to resume my citizenship

2 Likes

Also on topic, can NWOHR passports with Aus visas issued with them be used at the SmartGates in Australian airports?

Guess you can be a pioneer and find out about using Taiwan passport with RRV at smargate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not into pioneering. I much rather learn from other people’s mistakes so I don’t need to make the same one :joy::joy::joy:

Will see how I go. I’m actually hoping to have an Aussie passport again before I come back to Taiwan to submit the renunciation certificate. Hopefully it can all be processed within the 1 year deadline

I have entered Australia using my Australian passport using birth name and left using the SmartGates on my Taiwan passport using my Chinese name, so no reason you cannot do the same. People are surprised to hear Chinese language from the smartgate when I leave though.

3 Likes

Can you enter a country on one passport and leave on another? Wouldn’t that create issues afterwards?

2 Likes

I do this all the time. The only issue I ever encountered was crossing between a border that was part of the same country. The Hong Kong border.

It is mandatory for me in Canada since the rule is now you must enter on your Canadian passport. I am Italian in Taiwan.

1 Like

It is likely, a bad idea to enter a country with one document and leave with a different one. Most countries maintain entry and exit records and look for discrepancies. If you enter on one passport and leave using another, the country’s immigration control system will not link up your exit with that entry.

1 Like

When I last went with my daughter they told us to do it at immigration for NZ. We entered on her NZ passport and left on her Taiwan one.

Same went for Australia.

You’re thinking of emigration authorities. You present the same passport to them. But the airline counter you provide a different passport if needed. Then you switch after clearing emigration.

1 Like

Maybe I didn’t read it well but that is what I understood, hence the confusion.

My lad entered Macau on his Taiwan passport, then when leaving presented his Australian passport using a different name. Macau immigration were where is your entry stamp into Macau, my lad said in my other passport lol.

It’s not really an issue there are many people who use multiple passports. I don’t use my Australian passport for EU USA UK Canada either. I only use it for two countries, Australia and Philippines.

I am going to Australia next week. Check in using both passports, Taiwan passport for name of booking, Australian passport to show legal entry into Australia. Then I take a domestic flight in Australia using my Chinese name and Taiwan passport at check in. When I leave Australia I will use my Taiwan passport at airline check in and at immigration gate to exit as it matches my airline booking name. Done this before.

1 Like

You don’t use/need passports to check in for domestic flights in Oz :wink:

1 Like

They sometimes ask ID for passenger who paid with overseas credit card and Chinese name. Happened to me before. Things can be funny. I rented a utility truck like my Ford Ranger for my visit when my son got married. Thank god as I ended up transporting a lot of stuff to the wedding and back. So I use my IDP and local Taiwan drivers license, but paid using my NAB card and different name. Luckily the rental place had a chap from China working there so he could read my license. He was shocked I had Taiwan passport lol.

For immigration purposes you are still using one passport i.e. Taiwanese. Proving your right of entry using the Aus passport is not the same as using the Aus passport for checkin into the country.

1 Like

Not quite as you think. I cannot enter Australia using a foreign passport, so I must enter Australia at the immigration gate using my Australian passport. Australian citizens by law must use Australian passport to enter Australia. I can leave using my Taiwan passport.

If I tried to enter Australia using a Taiwan passport I would be detained. My Taiwan passport has no visa to enter Australia. All foreigners must have a visa to enter Australia. An Australian citizen cannot be issued a visa as they are not foreigners.

3 Likes