Getting your kid/s to listen and obey you

Sounds like a teacher :wink:

BTW, I recently bought the book straydog recommended earlier in this thread (How to talk so children will listen and listen so children will talk - something like that), great book, lots of practical ideas that are actually working on my child.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Hongda”] Not to change the subject by what do you have done at the dentist with your daughter? She’s about 2 isn’t she?
I still havn’t taken my son to the dentist as the doctor said there is no reason to yet. However I have a friend who is a dentist and he gives a quick check in my home ever few months. He recommends a flouride treatment soon. The issue of flouride is a subject I’d like to see discussed. Apparently in Taiwan now more and more schools are doing weekly flouride rinses or something.[/quote]

We first took our girl to hte dentist abt age 1.5, I believe, to have her teeth examined and swab a flouride goop on her teeth, and they recommended she come back every 6 months for the same. I have no idea if that’s consistent with what’s done in the West. As for flouride, I had a friend a dozen years ago whose dad was a Uni prof whose whole career had been devoted to warning of the dangers of flouride, in our drinking water, and so forth. I believe I did a little research then and concluded that perhaps flouride could present some hazards but they were most likely outweighed by the benefits and guys like my friend’s dad tend to be a little kooky. I could be wrong about that, but that was the opinion I formed then.[/quote]

Here’s some info on dental care in the pediatric population from the American Academy of Family Physicians:

[quote][url=http://www.aafp.org/afp/20041201/2113.html]The most common chronic disease of childhood is early childhood caries (dental caries in children younger than six years).1 It is five times more prevalent than asthma.2 Most children do not receive dental care until they are three years old, yet by that time more than 30 percent of children from lower socioeconomic groups already have caries.3

. . . . . .

four months of age

Teething symptoms include fussiness, increased sucking behavior, and loose stools. Increased drooling is common at this age but not necessarily associated with teething. Temperatures higher than 38.1°C (100.6°F) are not associated with teething and should be evaluated for other causes.23 Symptomatic relief of teething discomfort includes sucking on cold teething rings or washcloths. Numbing gels are less helpful and, in high doses, can be harmful.

At the four-month well-child visit, sources of systemic fluoride should be assessed. Systemic fluoride is one of the most effective tools in the prevention of dental decay and has been shown to reduce caries in young children by 40 to 50 percent.24 Fluoride increases the resistance of the teeth to demineralization, promotes re-mineralization, and exerts bacteriostatic properties. Many large municipal drinking water supplies are fluoridated to an optimal level of 1 part per million (ppm). However, more than one water utility often serves a community. Therefore, patients must determine the fluoridation level of their drinking water by contacting their supplier. Well water must be tested for fluoride content because levels vary even within neighborhoods. Testing kits and services are widely available.

six to 12 months of age

All children should receive appropriate systemic and topical fluoride beginning at six months of age.17,25 If a child’s home receives commercially fluoridated water, or the family’s well water has more than 0.6 ppm of fluoride, no systemic supplementation should be given, even if alternative water sources are used at times (e.g., bottled water). Systemic supplementation also is not recommended if the child is breastfeeding. If a child receives water from a nonfluoridated source or a well with less than 0.6 ppm of fluoride, supplementation should begin at six months of age. Table 117 provides fluoride supplementation guidelines. Fluoride solution or chewable tablets should be specified because these increase oral levels of fluoride. Fluoride supplementation should not be given with formula or milk, which decrease absorption[/url].[/quote]

Refer to the website above for Recommended Dietary Fluoride Supplement Schedule.

Basically, it says that fluoride supplementation can occur as early as 6 months of age, if there is no fluoride in the water. But, it gives certain recommendations for various levels of fluoridated water.

On another note, to those of you speculating about the female voice being less authoritative or about female children being more emotional . . . . etc. I am unconvinced. I can be very authoritative with my female voice (you may call me mistress! :smiling_imp: Just kidding). I think MORE depends upon the individual, not the gender of an individual with respect to parenting and children’s obedience.

Bodo

smithsgj, my wife sometimes uses this but I ask her not to. I don’t think kids need to have their parents painting a picture of a dangerous world in which Laobans get angry at them or strangers are a threat to them. Besides, kids are usually smart enough to soon figure out how pathetic a tactic it is.

Here’s a question. But not really a parenting question. I have a kindy kid who’s teeth are rotted because all he drinks is soda. Mom sends him to school with pop everyday. Now, I want to know what is the proper way to persuade Mom to change to water. All I can see is this kid having a life long addiction to caffeine and an early onset of diabetes.

Suggestions?

Educate her about the facts? I know most parents don’t want to hear what they’re doing wrong but ugh, soda pop to children is one of most worst diet decisions a parent could make.

Check out his link which shows that soda is linked to childhood obesity, dental problems and even bone weakening. It also says

“What happens when these soda pop-drinking individuals become middle-aged adults and they end up with osteoporosis and obesity?
By that time, switching to water, fruit or vegetable juices may be too little too late.”

healingdaily.com/detoxificat … da-pop.htm

namahottie,
maybe find out why she gives her child soda. i had a student who drank coke everyday and we found out that mom wanted to change but didnt know how to suddenly stop kid’s habit. we slowly added water to the coke, and limited the amount in the bottle they could drink, giving plain water in a cup. eventually the child just brought water to school.

[quote=“asiababy”]Sounds like a teacher :wink:

BTW, I recently bought the book straydog recommended earlier in this thread (How to talk so children will listen and listen so children will talk - something like that), great book, lots of practical ideas that are actually working on my child.[/quote]

Very happy to read that! :slight_smile:

It’s great, isn’t it!

[quote=“asiababy”]namahottie,
maybe find out why she gives her child soda. i had a student who drank coke everyday and we found out that mom wanted to change but didnt know how to suddenly stop kid’s habit. we slowly added water to the coke, and limited the amount in the bottle they could drink, giving plain water in a cup. eventually the child just brought water to school.[/quote]

Okay, I’ll work that out with my CT. I feel that everything here is just a landmine of egos. If it were me, I would just write in the student communication book “Don’t give pop to your kid. If you do, he will not be able to drink it.” but in this society of face :unamused: I have to take all the cultural shit into fact.

[quote=“Namahottie”]Now, I want to know what is the proper way to persuade Mom to change to water. All I can see is this kid having a life long addiction to caffeine and an early onset of diabetes.

Suggestions?[/quote]It’s sad to see stuff like this. But there’s really very little that teachers can do. Piwackit and Asiababy make good suggestions, but they should be considered in the light of the fact that the mum will probably think that it’s absolutely none of your business, and will see your attempt at helping as interference. I guess it’s worth a try, but in a very diplomatic way, and if that fails, then bite your tongue.

Apart from the other health considerations, soda is terrible for teeth. It’s really the acid content that’s so bad, though the sugar doesn’t help either.

[quote=“piwackit”]Educate her about the facts? I know most parents don’t want to hear what they’re doing wrong but ugh, soda pop to children is one of most worst diet decisions a parent could make.

Check out his link which shows that soda is linked to childhood obesity, dental problems and even bone weakening. It also says

“What happens when these soda pop-drinking individuals become middle-aged adults and they end up with osteoporosis and obesity?
By that time, switching to water, fruit or vegetable juices may be too little too late.”

healingdaily.com/detoxificat … da-pop.htm[/quote]
Fruit juices are just as bad. You ever look at the sugar content???

Bodo

[quote]Fruit juices are just as bad. You ever look at the sugar content???
[/quote]

Yup, but don’t fret as there is this new thing called JUST EATING FRUIT and I hear that works quit well to introduce nutrition into the human bean.

[quote=“Bodo”]Fruit juices are just as bad. You ever look at the sugar content???

Bodo[/quote]

Can you not get 100% pure, unsweetened fruit juice in Taiwan? That’s all I drank in Canada…

[quote=“Nibble”][quote=“Bodo”]Fruit juices are just as bad. You ever look at the sugar content???

Bodo[/quote]

Can you not get 100% pure, unsweetened fruit juice in Taiwan? That’s all I drank in Canada…[/quote]

Pure, unsweetened fruit juice is available, although there’s lots of stuff masquerading as fruit juice which is in fact sweetened. But even if it hasn’t had sugar added, it’s still got sugar in it, innit? Lots, in fact.