Giant bikes

I haven’t bought a bike in years, but I remember looking at Giant road bikes back in Seattle and thinking they were ridiculously expensive compared to what they were selling for in Taiwan. It was something like double the price. I ended up buying a Cannondale over there which was relatively cheap. After bringing it with me back to Taiwan I learned that the same bike was going for 100,000 NT here.

Im from seattle also… giant in seattle is sub par but still hella expensive In usa I feel its more than double the price than bike sold here .
My older friend in usa bought a shit bike at sears for over $400 and he thought it was a good deal, and i should him what i got here and see was crying… true hydraulic brakes where he got old cant-lever

Are cannondales made in tw?
I found out GT’s were but now out of business…

Forget about giant bikes. Does anyone know where to find tiny tricycles? Mine happened to collapse recently…

You want one that you and 15 co-workers can all ride at the same time.

Relatedly, can we make some kind of rule where the brand is typed GIANT or something?
Every time there’s a thread mentioning them, I automatically read it as, like

2 Likes

They will throw in free gear that amounts to 10% of the bike’s price. So let’s say you bought a bike for 15,000, you can just go around the store and pick out 1,500 worth of merchandise for no extra cost.

Giant Nanjing by Nanjing Fixing MRT.

They’ll have a nice fleet, but not every shop will hold a lot of inventory for you to shop around. Best to look up the bike on their website and ask if they have the model or something similar. Doesn’t hurt to look at multiple shops and choose the one that you feel will give you the best after sale service!

1 Like

They have a big crew, but as far as mtb they didnt have even one when i was there Ready to purchase , my small store has at least 2 at all times normally three.
This flag ship is always busy even with a staff of 4 , hard to even talk to them, most the time i just walk out. One thing that keeps them busy they rent bike and sometimes to big groups.

Can you test ride bikes at that flagship store to see if you like it?

I think no test rides as they dont have sample bikes only new, i was told i couldnt try to test ride any giant bikes only in store Rides

I recently bought a TCR from the Nanjing Fuxing store and had a pretty good experience (I tried to go in the off time though).

They are willing to do a rental and deduct the rental fee from the bike if you end up buying. For the TCR they had a 2018 frame I took for a day. I’m not sure about availability for other bikes though.

Like mentioned above, the discount is 10% off in the form of other merchandise. One other thing worth noting, this store (and probably other stores directly owned by Giant) are able to take my American credit card.

1 Like

I am looking at a SCR 1, Contend 1 or TCR SL 2.

How comfortable is your TCR that you bought? Is it quite an aggressive body posture?
From what I can tell is the Contend 1 is more of a relaxed posture and will be more comfortable than a SCR or TCR but the TCR will def perform better.

What is the in store ride like? Do they have a sort of track that goes around the store?

Im mtb only ,never spandex Ever .
In store ride meaning they allowed me to ride inside a tiny strip in the store , like 15 feet.

Sounds like this small flagship is a good choice as they have trial options and possibly many roadbikes

If you are considering the TCR SL2, go with the TCR. You will not regret it.

I hate to break it to you, but an in-store 15m test ride is as useless as a bag of dicks. The in-store ride will help you with figuring out which size and your seat height, but not too much help in terms of which bike you’ll like better. You really need to go out for a ride to tell the difference.

If it’s your first road bike, make sure you pick one that you like. Don’t buy the bike because they happen to have your size or you had to compromise because they happened to have stock of it and trying to push it on you.

The 3 bikes I am considering are bikes I like. The TCR SL2 has nicer components and I prefer the color scheme too.

I am just worried that my lower back feels uncomfortable on the TCR on longer rides compared to the Contend 1 because it is more aggressive and the angle of the rider on the bike is more forwards creating more strain on the lower back.

Is there anyway to adjust the riding posture with different components so I wouldn’t bend over forwards as much?

The Nanjing store used to have a fit bike inside, I would guess they still do. They can put the geometry of any of these bikes on the fit bike to let you try them all, for a good amount of time, not just a couple seconds minutes. I would start from the most forgiving and work towards the most aggressive geometry of those which you are considering. Wear the same clothes and shoes you intend to use while riding.

Yes, you can make adjustments to something to make it better or change some compoents, but it’s far better to do this on a small scale against a bike that’s “right” to begin with.

Anyway, make some time when the store is likely to be a bit less busy and perhaps make an appointment with them for exactly what you want to do.

Honestly, it sounds like the Contend is the right model for you and your needs…at least to start out with.

You could put more spacers on the head tube to raise the height of the handlebars or adjust the handlebar angle. Saddle height and position is also very important in terms of comfort.

However, from the sound of it, you may be better suited for the Contend.

They still have the fitting bike inside.

Re test ride - for the TCR at least, you can take the bike for an entire day (it’s 1000 NTD, but they will deduct that from the bike if you buy within thirty days). For the TCR, it’s an older frame but the geometry is very similar. I’m not sure if they can do the same for a Contend though.

I was also a little concerned with how aggressive it would feel, but after a full day out with it, I was fine with it.

I think so too but the performance of the TCR is very appealing and only about 6000nt more than the Contend.

I don’t know the components of these models but I doubt there’s very much difference. If you are going from Claris to Tiarga then that might be 6k well spent. However, none of that matters if the bike fit doesn’t work for you. Anyway, I would spend some time with the fit bike, you’ll know relatively quickly which models would work for you, perhaps narrowing it down. Then, rent similar models with similar components which are still in the running (year to year things change very little) for a longer test of road feel and to see if the differences really matter to you.

Good luck, have fun!

1 Like

Sora to Tiarga and better wheels.