Giant bikes

I’ve been using a Giant bike for a year or two now here in Taipei and wondered if it was cheaper to buy another one here before returning to the UK and having it shipped back over there, assuming there’s no online dealers who do that kind of thing already. Mine’s a cheap road bike that cost about 2,500 or 3000 dollars, and it’s held together way better than my much more expensive Ridgeback back home. Does anyone know somewhere I can get road bikes as cheap as they are here, that could also mail them back West?

Bikes in Taiwan are a hell of a lot cheaper than in the U.K. However because of the cost of postage to the U.K. the more expensive/upper range bike you buy here, the greater the saving over the cost of the same one in the U.K.

Yeah, true.

If i were you, i would get an expensive bike, but not neccessor Giant, because the prices for Giant are the same, just you might be able to get more freebies out of it. If you purchase over $10000 bike, then you get up to $10000 of freebies…

I would personally get like BMC or Specilized or some other exotic bike apart from Gaint. Also, if you purchase a bike bag which cost like $450AUS and don’t know how much it cost in Taiwan, but the dealers Bikebags.com they ship world wide. If you purchase that, then it’s still cheaper pack your bike and take it with you in the plane (in the over size section) and it’s still cheaper than getting it posted.

Hope that help…

Hi,
There is about a 35% price difference between the Giant bikes here and the price in the US. I believe that prices in the UK are even higher than in the US.

This kind of logic applies to most brands that are manufactured in Taiwan, ie the Colnago low-end to midrange frames, Treks, Specialized. If you look at frames that are made elsewhere, the rebates aren’t as significant, ie Colnago EPS, Look, TIME, etc.

There are probably deals to be had on high-end frames that are made here. For example, Pinarello Prince and the new Dogma are made here, as well as the Wilier top end frames. An '09 or '08 Prince might be a good deal. Something like $6,600 with Super Record 11 and Boras. The thing is that these facts aren’t really advertised. It took me a while to figure out that the Pinarellos are made here. Wilier was a lot easier and they are made by Mitsubishi. Colnagos, Specialized and Treks are made by Giant.

I wouldn’t spend $10K on a bike. You could easily spend $5-7K and get a top end bike easily. The only bikes that really break this logic are the Di2 equipped bikes. Even Giant’s TCR Advanced SL Limited with Di2 breaks the $10K limit here in Taiwan.

Cheers

It is cheaper to buy any bike that is made in Taiwan compared to UK or USA price. If you need help let me know, i might get it for a good discount.

Do you work/own a bike store or something? How much discount are we talking about here :smiley:

There is an actual Giant store near the corner at No.77 Heping West Rd., Sec.1 (near Xiamen St.) in Zhongzheng.

Hi,
I’ll be visiting Taipei in Nov. and would like to purchase a bike.
How much should I expect to pay for 2009 or 2010
Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 or 1
Pinarello Prince with Campy Super Record 11 and Bora wheels?
Also, would the shops sell the bike with a compact crankset without charging additional $?
Any store that sells these bikes cheaper than others?
Thanks much for you help!

[quote=“USAsian”]Hi,
I’ll be visiting Taipei in Nov. and would like to purchase a bike.
How much should I expect to pay for 2009 or 2010
Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 or 1
Pinarello Prince with Campy Super Record 11 and Bora wheels?
Also, would the shops sell the bike with a compact crankset without charging additional $?
Any store that sells these bikes cheaper than others?
Thanks much for you help![/quote]

There is little discount to be had off a Giant Bike in Taiwan. There is not much profit margin at all on Giant in Taiwan. You would get a better deal on any spares or extras.

If you get your bike at Alans (alansmountainbike.com.tw/) then they have a discount policy on spares and extras when you purchase a new bike, also a ten percent discount for existing customers.
At least it was that way when I left.
You will also find that they know more about what they are talking about at Alan’s than most other shops. Most of the staff even race themselves. They are very used to selling, and posting bikes abroad for their customers, and many even export directly from the shop. They know about the postal rates and exactly how the bike should be packaged when sending abroad.

Last time i went to a giant retailer, they said they dont discount on bikes, rather they will offer 10% the value of the bike on the overpriced accessories they sell
thats just the one on jianguo rd near xinsheng, it may be different elsewhere

There’s some interesting information here. Unfortunately I’ve done a little research into importing a Taiwanese bike into the UK, and it turns out there’s some pretty hefty taxation involved that may make it quite a bit less worthwhile. If I was taking the bike with me on the plane - disassembled, in a box, in the hold, obviously - that might be a different matter, but practicality meant that if I did buy one, it would be posted over there. I’ll still have to look into it a bit more, but it’s not looking quite as good now as I’d been hoping.

I think you may find they can only tax you on a “bicycle” by definition . A bicycle of course is not a bicycle if it doesn’t have several components including wheels and seat post etc, (as they will be sent in a separate box). This is how most of our customers previously got around it. Split it up and send it. I think it should be okay.

I think you may find they can only tax you on a “bicycle” by definition . A bicycle of course is not a bicycle if it doesn’t have several components including wheels and seat post etc, (as they will be sent in a separate box). This is how most of our customers previously got around it. Split it up and send it. I think it should be okay.[/quote]

I like! I’ll have to look into this.

I think you may find they can only tax you on a “bicycle” by definition . A bicycle of course is not a bicycle if it doesn’t have several components including wheels and seat post etc, (as they will be sent in a separate box). This is how most of our customers previously got around it. Split it up and send it. I think it should be okay.[/quote]

I like! I’ll have to look into this.[/quote]

One more thing you can do just to make certain of not paying much at all is to have the shop write you a wink, wink, nudge, nudge “receipt.” They like receipts in many countries as the receipt will tell them “exactly” how much you paid for the bike.

One more thing you can do which a lot of our customers did, before you box it up, ride it through a mud field and get it nice and dirty. “Its not new officer.” “I don’t have to pay tax on a used product surely!”

yeh if its ‘used’ then you shoudlnt need to pay tax on it. its like when my dad bought a camera in HK and brought it back to australia. took it out of a box and voila - a used camera!
you can also state that you initially bought the bike in your home town, shipped it here, and simply shipping it back

I also thought there was a “12 month” prior use exeption to the duty imposed on imported goods for personal use

So it wouldnt apply if the bike was new, but would apply if you had already used for 12 months - not sure where I got that impression from thought

…wella ctually wrong

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P110_10755

But here is the work around, if the bike was bought for X and depreciates to Y, the duty is only due as a % of Y

So your 100,000 giant, you can claim is only “worth” 35,000 so you only need pay the import duty % of that

Technically I would assume by sending the bike in parts the duty should also be paid for each part - but dont quote me on that, I think what sulveca is talking about is an informal intepretation of the rules

[quote=“range”]

I wouldn’t spend $10K on a bike. You could easily spend $5-7K and get a top end bike easily. The only bikes that really break this logic are the Di2 equipped bikes. Even Giant’s TCR Advanced SL Limited with Di2 breaks the $10K limit here in Taiwan.

Cheers[/quote]

Thanks a lot for this information. I really appreciate it. Where do you purchase your custom made bike? Would be interested to know as I want to purchase new bike.

Which is the flagship store for Giant in Taipei/New Taipei City?
I want to see a lot of models in person.

Also, if I bought a bike for 25-30k and my girl got one for 25k, do they give discount or throw in free gear?

2 Likes

Im not sure about a flag ship, each store seems independently owner and vary vastly.
I know i trust the shop i chose the boss is a master of repair and know ( plus speaks a little English)
Maybe call or email giant to ask about flagship.
For mtb most stores are limited to 2-3 models
Seems road bikes have about 8 or so.

Fyi giant bike under 20,000nt are assembled in china over 20k there are assed in tw!!
I bought a 16,000 nt one… assembly issues … recommended above 20k for sure.

Each store is capable of freebies, best to ask whst they will throw in.
And choose a store that is easy to deal with ( mine is a single guy - easy to get the same info, some stores have 5 -10 employees) also they will normally give 1 year free servicing so dont choose a store too far