Gift ideas?

Need some advice. It is closing in our our yearly trip to Taiwan. We will be there for about 6 weeks this year. I always drive myself crazy trying to think of something nice that we can bring to my in-laws, only to settle. Wondering if anyone else had any ideas on the subject.

Cosmetics or some healthy stuff like herbals, or pills or any of that other healthy stuff you find at the vitamin stores. The Taiwanese i know are crazy about that stuff, plus it’s way expensive over there. Just don’t get any no name junk cuz then they’d be too scared to try it.

Good suggestion. I know my aunts-in-law (???) are crazy for that stuff and have us buy it for them by the case.

Hehe, i trucked over about US$250 in vitamins for my gf’s co-workers when i went over last month…thank gawd they didn’t check my suitcase, or they’d think i was peddling the stuff. Mind you those customs guys didn’t look like they’d check anybody.

We usually get by with a nice bottle of cognac for dad and a generous red envelope for mom. Unfortunately, he quit drinking recently so he gets a red envelope, too. For nephews we get Pokemon toys and trading cards (or whatever is popular at the time–maybe it’s Yu-Gi-Oh now). They seem to like them b/c they’re different from the ones they can get in Asia. Nieces might get cute little dresses or Barbies. Pretty boring, but appreciated and easy to pack.

My personal advice would be to ask your Taiwanese wife. I always asked her to de the shopping. One year my father in law ended up getting woolen long johns…

We found clothes, cosmetics, health supplements, etc to be big hits. Hong baos? They normally pass them back to my kids, so that’s the best gift in my view.

Your in California? {lease swing down to San Diego and pick me up some Rubio’s Fish Tacos. Vacuum pack them. I’d be mighty grateful.

I find unique liquors, canides and food stuffs always go over well. Toy’s for Educational toy’s for your Taiwanese colleagues Children.

Chou

Your in California? {lease swing down to San Diego and pick me up some Rubio’s Fish Tacos. Vacuum pack them. I’d be mighty grateful.

I find unique liquors, canides and food stuffs always go over well. Toy’s for Educational toy’s for your Taiwanese colleagues Children.

Chou[/quote]

God, I second that. I could eat a dozen fish tacos right now.

As for gifts, I don’t have in-laws, but I usually ask a close friend or relative what the person really wants or needs, then go and get it. For CNY, my girlfriend’s mother got a Henckl Manicure set. Her dad got two cartons of expensive cigarettes, which I suppose might be interpreted as a subtle suggestion that he die sooner…

Hi,

I’m coming over from the good ol’ US of A (which ought to make me popular throughout the world) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions for gifts to bring. Preferably cheap gifts.

Thanks,
sandbar

PS I’m in Texas (even more popular, baby!), so I could bring over some cowboy souvenirs, salsa, etc. if anyone thinks that would be a good idea.

[quote=“sandbar”]Hi, I’m coming over from the good ol’ US of A (which ought to make me popular throughout the world) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions for gifts to bring. Preferably cheap gifts. Thanks, sandbar
PS I’m in Texas (even more popular, baby!), so I could bring over some cowboy souvenirs, salsa, etc. if anyone thinks that would be a good idea.[/quote]
Ballpoint pens are good, as is chewing gum. Any kinds of trinkets, especially flashy ones will be sure to elicit oohs and aahs. Also a polaroid camera is good - you can take pictures of the locals and immediately give them a copy. Be careful to explain that you’re not stealing their souls! :smiley:

Any kind of candy/snacks/etc. that are particular/peculiar to your area seem to go over well with the locals here. A lot of people are into dried/cured meat, so some jerky, whatever might be an idea.

Good luck,
CK

ugh

Thanks. Jerky is yum, and oh so Texan, but it can be pricey! $7 a pack sometimes. But maybe I’ll buy some for myself :slight_smile:

sandbar

[quote=“sandbar”]Hi,

I’m coming over from the good ol’ US of A (which ought to make me popular throughout the world) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions for gifts to bring. Preferably cheap gifts.[/quote]

$24 dollars worth of beads. Who knows? You might get lucky! :laughing:

nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagePkey=442

And if you’re planning on coming on down here to Bali, a case of Pearl would be mucho appreciated! :laughing:

Compact mirrors are liked by the natives here, as well as beads and firewater, of course. But knives – steel rather than stone – are especially prized and will give you major juju. I brought over a Swiss Army knife once and the village headman gave me my own longhouse and two virgin women.

Seriously, unless you are coming here to meet family members or something like that, such as a homestay or student exchange visit, there’s really no reason for you to bring gifts for the natives. You already said you’re from Texas, so of course the people here are far more civilized than you. :wink:

That said, if you bring good salsa, rubbing sauce or unusual hot sauce and bring them to a Forumosa happy hour, I’ll take 'em off your hands. Has to be “boutique” though – you can get the mass-produced stuff here no problem.

[quote=“sandman”] I brought over a Swiss Army knife once and the village headman gave me my own longhouse and two virgin women.
[/quote]

Don’t tell me…they were both over 40 and ugliest women in the village, right? :laughing:

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“sandman”] I brought over a Swiss Army knife once and the village headman gave me my own longhouse and two virgin women.
[/quote]

Don’t tell me…they were both over 40 and ugliest women in the village, right? :laughing:[/quote]
Well, no Forumosa in them days, so how was I supposed to know the lack of a corkscrew would be such a faux pas?
I learned my lesson on that one sure enough!

For what purpose are you bringing gifts, and for whom? Maybe if you tell more about why and who it would be more helpful in trying to choose a gift.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“blueface666”][quote=“sandman”] I brought over a Swiss Army knife once and the village headman gave me my own longhouse and two virgin women.
[/quote]

Don’t tell me…they were both over 40 and ugliest women in the village, right? :laughing:[/quote]
Well, no Forumosa in them days, so how was I supposed to know the lack of a corkscrew would be such a faux pas?
I learned my lesson on that one sure enough![/quote]

Well, you could have used a strap-on dildo :unamused:

[quote=“sandbar”]Hi,

I’m coming over from the good ol’ US of A (which ought to make me popular throughout the world) and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions for gifts to bring. Preferably cheap gifts.

Thanks,
sandbar

PS I’m in Texas (even more popular, baby!), so I could bring over some cowboy souvenirs, salsa, etc. if anyone thinks that would be a good idea.[/quote]

You could bring Chewy a good pair of Texan cowboy boots. PM me and I’ll give you the specs as well as my contact details in Taipei.