Gil Scott Heron is in prison

He’s out now yeah? The media hasn’t covered this. The websites I have hastily looked up are all vague. Was he tried in NY? WTF is going on? It can’t be true obviously because there would be rioting on the streets if it were. So Spiro Agnew and John Mitchell have won after all. Christ, GSH must be bitter as all hell now. He can’t spend these final years in jail. Ack. I’m incoherent. And to be honest I don’t know a lot about it.

Why are Gil Scott Heron lyrics unavailable on the internet? Everyone else’s lyrics are.

Thanks for the heads up.

From the wiki:

[quote]In 2001, Gil Scott-Heron was sentenced to one to three years’ imprisonment in New York State for cocaine possession. While out of jail in 2002, he appeared on the Blazing Arrow album by Blackalicious. He was released on parole in 2003.

On July 5, 2006, Scott-Heron was sentenced to two to four years in a New York State prison for violating a plea deal on a drug-possession charge by leaving a treatment center. Scott-Heron said he is HIV-positive and claimed the in-patient rehabilitation center stopped giving him his medication. The prosecution countered that Scott-Heron had once skipped out for an appearance with singer Alicia Keys.[1] Scott-Heron’s sentence will be complete on July 13, 2009, but he will be eligible for parole two years before that date.[/quote]

There’s some lyrics here: gilscottheron.com/GILDISC.htm

[quote]Nostalgia, that’s what we want…the good ol’ days…when we gave’em hell. When the buck stopped somewhere and you could still buy something with it. To a time when movies were in black and white – and so was everything else. Even if we go back to the campaign trail, before six-gun Ron shot off his face and developed hoof-in-mouth. Before the free press went down before full-court press. And were reluctant to review the menu because they knew the only thing available was – Crow.

Lon Chaney, our man of a thousand faces - no match for Ron. Doug Henning does the make-up - special effects from Grecian Formula 16 and Crazy Glue. Transportation furnished by the David Rockefeller of Remote Control Company. Their slogan is, “Why wait for 1984? You can panic now…and avoid the rush.”

So much for the good news…

As Wall Street goes, so goes the nation. And here’s a look at the closing numbers – racism’s up, human rights are down, peace is shaky, war items are hot - the House claims all ties. Jobs are down, money is scarce – and common sense is at an all-time low with heavy trading. Movies were looking better than ever and now no one is looking because, we’re starring in a “B” movie. And we would rather have John Wayne…we would rather have John Wayne. [/quote]

HG

Apparently he coined the phrase “The revolution will not be televised.” Damn.

youtube.com/watch?v=uTCQSk2l8bc

Google “ain’t no ambulances for no niggers tonight” (Stanley Crouch) or “we’re used to having white people trying to rob us, why don’t they try stealing some of this poverty”. (Ain’t no New Thing - GSH)

Nothing. Bizarre. No lyrics to “Ain’t No New Thing” or "Enough"or “no Knock” or “The King Alfred Plan”.

I am working on a conspiracy theory.

I think the most apt song right now is Winter in America . . . and here it is on youtube:

youtube.com/watch?v=fGlRsjHTkbs

Winter in America
Uh from the Indians who welcomed the pilgrims
And to the buffalos who once ruled the plains
Like the vultures circling beneath the dark clouds looking for the rain
Looking for the rain
Just like the cities stagger on the coastline
In a nation that just can’t stand much more
Like the forest buried beneath the highway, never had a chance to grow
Never had a chance to grow
And now it’s winter, winter in America
Yes now that all of the killers have been killed, sent away, Yeah
But the people know, the people know, it’s winter
Winter in America
And ain’t nobody fighting cause
Nobody knows what to say
Save your soul, lord knows from
Winter in America
The constitution, a noble piece of paper
With free society, a struggle but they died in vain
And now democracy is a ragtime on the corner
Hoping for some rain
It looks like he’s hoping, hoping for some rain
And I see the robins perched in baron treetops
Watching lasting racists marching across the floor
Just like the peace sign that vanished in our dreams
And now it’s winter
Winter in America
Yes now that all of the killers have been killed, or betrayed, Yeah
But the people know, the people know, it’s winter
Lord knows it’s winter in America
And ain’t nobody fighting cause nobody knows what to say
Save your soul
From a winter in America
Stick
And now it’s winter
Winter in America
And now that all of the killers done been killed, sent away
The people know, the people know, it’s winter
Winter in America
And ain’t nobody fighting cause nobody knows nobody knows

Mind you, B Movie wouldn;t be bad either.

youtube.com/watch?v=bc4Lvady … ed&search=

HG

Damn!

I played “B Movie” for Tigerman at the camping trip a few years back. To be fair, he listened intently to the whole song before disagreeing with everything the great speaker of truths had to say. lol

I didn’t really expect to sway him tho. :wink:

“Attilla the Haig, running around, frantically declaring himself in control and in charge. The ultimate realization of the lunatics taking over at the asylum.”

or maybe you recall this paraphrase:

“This ain’t really your life, ain’t really your life, ain’t really your life, ain’t nothing but a website.”

HGC’s quote is from B Movie. It’s freakin’ scary how apropos it is to today’s administration. He even mentions George Sr. in it. Calls him George “Papa Doc” Bush. Does that make Dubya Baby Doc?

I hope he records something new before that vile virus takes him to The Great Gig in The Sky.

i bought a 3CD house compilation last week…by far the most outstanding track was a rework of the revolution will not be televised…

that man is a hero…

(of course sad thing is the revolution will be going out live on CNN if truth be told)

Also his awesome record “The Bottle” top class…

Do you remember when you heard GSH for the first time? Aging myself here, but it was in 1984 at a Clash concert. The crew was setting up between bands and they played B Movie as an interlude. I was reclining in the penalty box at The Max Bell Arena (a very small venue for such a classic band as The Clash) and tripping on sillysiban. The song went deep into my soul. A few days later, I was walking by Denise Clarke’s (now the premiere performer of Clagary’s avante-garde theatre troupe One Yellow Rabbit) Modern Dance class and she was using the song to choreograph her students. She later gave me a tape (ha, cassettes, that’s really aging myself) and I damn near wore it out.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Hexie.

A lot of the stuff appears to be relevant today. No Knock (the police state protecting people “from themselves”), Whitey on the Moon (could call it Cheney in Iraq or something), and say, Small Talk on 125th and Lenox about how people are caught up in the minutiae of trivia that we are surrounded with whilst the government runs off doing all sorts of ridiculous shit. Control of the media (“Ain’t no New Thing”, sort of) and so on. But for me, I just love the way the music and the words go together so well, and I’ve never heard anything like it, before or since.

So I am astonished that none of this is on the internet. So, whilst all those childish hip-hop fools are prancing about talking about how big their dicks are and how many bitches they have, not one person in the WHOLE WORLD that I can see has put up a website with the lyrics to the poems and songs of the so-called “grandfather of rap” or whatever it is they call him. Am I the only one who finds this amazing?

[i]WE declare war on Eric Burden!
WE discredit the talents of Janis Joplin and Rare Earth!
We urge that the next blue-eyed soul group include
Melvin Laird, Lyndon Johnson, Nixon, and Spearhead Agnew and be called As The Stomach Turns!

We urge that the album John Wayne Sings the Blues be released!
Release the album J. Edgar Hoover Sings James Brown!
Release the album Wallace and Maddox sing Sam and Dave!
Why not? We hear Tony the Tiger saying “R-R-R-Right on Tiger!”
We heard Nixon talking about “Power to the People”

It ain’t no new thing, it ain’t no new thing
It ain’t no new thing, it ain’t no new thing
America is always the same old shit.[/i]

sillysiban?

took me a while to get that one…

psilocybin!

'shroom city.

only saw him once. can’t remember much… must have been good.