Give Lian and Song some credit

Trying to make sense of these visits is pretty tricky and seems to have reignited -here as well as in Taiwan at large- the North v. South rupture in Taiwan party politics, which really doesn’t seem to get us anywhere apart from bitching at each other. With respect to these vists, I think that longer term, Chinese factor is at work- namely the unity that has always existed between the Han Chinese and their continued dominance of Chinese affairs and peoples. Maybe it is this that allows the leader of a so-called ‘Nationalist Party’ (KMT) to meet and discuss things so cosily with a communist political regime. The power of this Chinese culture is not to be underestimated- while things such as the PRC, ROC are relatively new constructions on this broader political and cultural landscape.
Of course, Lien Chan is also at the end of a largely failed political career and some kind of legacy would, I suppose, be nice for him.

Lien and Soong are coming to the end of their political careers. Maybe they plan some long term investments that they don’t want problems with in China.

The loss of power for the KMT has cause withdrawal symptoms and these desparate men need consoling from their enemies.

Perhaps they have been watching the sci fi flick Enemy Mine.

From their performances this month in China, these two men have just reinvented themselves and they will both be on stage here for a long long time, S TV. Some might wish them gone, but they are here to stay now. As distasteful as it might be some, these two men have just signed for for the mainstage arena play which is about to unfold.

Chen has some fancy dancing to do. The DPP is in big trouble.

Think Nixon. They guy came back from the dead. Lien and Soong has come back from the last elections with a new mandate. They are stars now. Go figure.

History is not always kind.

I DO think the hype will wear off though. Neither man has accomplished anything in China that is lasting or really changes the political situation. Most of the hype of the Lien visit was from the “First time since X” effect. And from the look of Soong’s visit, a lot of the hype has already worn off. Oh sure, we still get updates on what he is doing, but he doesn’t seem to be getting nearly the coverage Lien was.

I DO agree that Chen is in trouble.

[quote=“paynetaiwan”]Trying to make sense of these visits is pretty tricky and seems to have reignited -here as well as in Taiwan at large- the North v. South rupture in Taiwan party politics, which really doesn’t seem to get us anywhere apart from bitching at each other. With respect to these vists, I think that longer term, Chinese factor is at work- namely the unity that has always existed between the Han Chinese and their continued dominance of Chinese affairs and peoples. Maybe it is this that allows the leader of a so-called ‘Nationalist Party’ (KMT) to meet and discuss things so cosily with a communist political regime. The power of this Chinese culture is not to be underestimated- while things such as the PRC, ROC are relatively new constructions on this broader political and cultural landscape.
Of course, Lien Chan is also at the end of a largely failed political career and some kind of legacy would, I suppose, be nice for him.[/quote]

Yes the race card, the “unity og the Han people” which resulted in many wars and battles amongst themselves. You can’t even really genetically isolate the “han people” so… anyway what has Lien done for Taiwan significant, except praise the Anti Secession Law and “One China is the PRC”?

ShrimpCrackers- you make a good point, although genetics doesn’t really lie at the heart of mine. More a cultural and historical perspective was being offered. True though, they do fight amongst themselves as do most peoples.
Us Brits have been at each other’s throats many times in history but came together to dominate others. But i take your point. I guess the main worry is a greater Chinese nationalism- which we have witnessed of late. When you do control a country of such diverse peoples, cultures and histories, nationalism (the last refuge of the scoundrel, someone once said) can be a useful tool- also very dangerous. By not standing up for Taiwan Lien Chan’s actions only add to the problem.

news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u … a_taiwan_7

The Soong trip on Yahoo. Should see the yahoo boards. Lord…

news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u … a_taiwan_9

And here we go again… same BS from China just a different name.
One China, Two systems… Two sides, One China…
:unamused:

Seriously though…there is absolutely nothing new in any of this. What has Soong gained? Everything he and Hu agreed on, they were already in agreement on. Soong can’t even bring back a panda offer. :laughing:

Chen has some fancy dancing to do. The DPP is in big trouble.

History is not always kind.[/quote]

Hmm after todays elections with the DPP with a solid lead ( prior to final tally) it seems that the DPP is not in as much trouble and the KMT who expected a clear outright majority win.

I really think Soong blew this-
if he’d come out with a few strong statements on democracy and the “Republic of China”, I think he’d have reaped far greater political rewards at home.

As it is, he’s just a Lien also-ran.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]Non sequitur? Funny you call him up for that, 'cause you’re using the same thing. Let’s break this down:

There are lots of uneducated people in the south of Taiwan.
The DPP targets the south of Taiwan.

These are the two points you make. Now where, exactly, do you get that the DPP specifically targets the uneducated ones? Hmmm? They target the south, educated and uneducated alike. Yes, statistically that means their target audience contains more uneducated people than the north would, but it does not logically follow that they specifically target the uneducated sector. Next.[/quote]’

Yes, could it also be reasonable to suggest that more KMT supporters happen to live in the North, preferably around Taipei? Yes such obvious things of course are too advanced for the likes of Zeugmite.

I remember an old newspaper article that divided votes cast for each side by neighborhood and it shows that Taiwan is quite diverse with no real clear “North and South”. Just like New York, even though it is traditionally a Democratic state, you’ll find many neighborhoods that are Republican scattered about.

[quote=“MikeN”]I really think Soong blew this-
if he’d come out with a few strong statements on democracy and the “Republic of China”, I think he’d have reaped far greater political rewards at home.

As it is, he’s just a Lien also-ran.[/quote]

The KMT, Lien and Soong are not really interested in democracy… they would have prefered to keep Taiwan a one party state. They tried and failed.