Give me some good diversification ideas for stocks or other asset classes

Rolls Royce also makes aircraft engines and some defense contracting that isn’t going away. I think also boat engines as well.

I don’t expect a quick rebound to pre covid numbers. But maybe a chance to make money short term trading it.

My delta and Boeing stocks today :confounded:

I know i told myself it might get bumpy and hold on for the long run. But it’s painful seeing them drop so much. Pretty much wiped out my gains.

Knife catching is never a good idea.

I’m sorry for your loss.

But these are extreme times, and a multi-week selloff could mean another drop of 20% to 30% or more in the markets.

My swing traders guy just said dump it all. I dumped it all.

1 Like

With the price of used aircraft falling and demand for travel falling dramatically I don’t see why BA should be raising anytime soon. Only good news is that nobody care about the 737MAX situation. Sorry for your lost. Go short on boing.

I agree. I’m very sure we’re not at the bottom. Just cancel the summer.

I’m in cash until…well…I’m in cash.

I dumped NVDA and LAM for 105% and 45% gains respectively. Which is nice. I will return to them…laters. And LMT…for 50%.

Same here. But mostly borrowed cashed based on pre coronavirus value, but I don’t care, rent is nearly free so inflation will eat it anyway. If I had bigger balls I would go short on the automotive industry. But my balls are perfectly normal sized, so I won’t jump in the market until I see clear signs of improvements.

I don’t expect it to rise anytime soon. I told myself that buying them a month ago.

I don’t believe the 1 of 2 commercial aircraft manufacturer, a company with a complete monopoly on cargo planes, 2nd largest defense contractor in the world, and also a company with a small portion of profits from logistics, should be valued so low. The US would never let Boeing fail either, if they do, there are bigger issues than Boeing that are happening.

Knowing all of this, it’s still hard to not let emotions come into play.

1 Like

When do you think boing will see a new order for a 737, 747, 767, 777 or 787?

They have 2 yearss of back order. I anticipate they will get pushed back, but they still should not be 120 a share.

Buffet was right again. I should have waited a bit to buy his stock though. :sunglasses:

Down what 30%

You should have bought Berkshire Hathaway the day you where born :sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes
1 Like

Barron’s:

Nancy Lazar, one of Wall Street’s most widely followed economists, admits she was slow to grasp the devastating economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic. Then she pivoted and updated her macroeconomic forecasts, telling clients that the unfolding crisis helped buttress one of her longstanding themes: Middle America should be your favorite emerging market. Lazar is co-founder of Cornerstone Macro, an economic consulting firm; she consistently ranks No. 1 or No. 2 in Institutional Investor’s annual rankings of Wall Street economists. Also named by Barron’s as one of the 100 Most Influential Women in U.S. Finance , she recently shared her views about the jobless recovery, the wary consumer, and the coming boost from onshoring. An edited version of our conversation follows.

Where do commodity prices go?

The boom in emerging markets, in particular China, guided commodity prices for 20 years. China’s economy got hit hard in the first quarter, shrinking by 7%. That was one reason we saw a gut-wrenching decline in commodity prices, including oil. The oil-supply war between Saudi Arabia and Russia aggravated declines.

Now, China has eased pretty significantly. It is reopening. You’re seeing signs that the economy is incrementally improving. Oil prices have recovered some, reflecting China’s economic activity and growing signs that the U.S. economy is going to improve. Oil has had its ups and downs. They’re cowboys and capitalists and over time tend to land on their feet. But longer term, China is going to grow much more slowly than in the past 20 years. That will keep commodity prices tamer.

What are your forecasts for China?

China’s official GDP growth was about 6% in 2019. Our forecast is 2% for this year. The era of China being a strong, growing economy is over.

This will be a struggle for countries too tied to China, namely a lot of the emerging market world. We have overall EM GDP growth shifting down to 2% to 3%. This is healthier for the world. It prevents steep surges in commodity prices.

What is an investor to do?

The era of emerging markets driving global growth, and big multinationals being huge beneficiaries of that, is over. When I first started in the business in the late 1980s, the economy had rotated from higher inflation and higher interest rates to lower inflation and lower rates. It was important for investors to embrace that change, and recognize the companies that would benefit and the ones that wouldn’t.

Today, there is another regime change in global growth. You need to be a stockpicker, focusing on companies that will benefit from incremental growth in a jobless recovery. The consumption pattern is shifting to technology, health care, and staples, and there is going to be a shift in consumer spending and an increase in the savings rate. A lot of companies will struggle with these new consumer behaviors.

We’re going to get more investment in Middle America. Companies located in the center part of the country are going to be the longer-term growers. Retailers, manufacturers, capital-goods companies—when they’re located in the middle, they’re already outperforming.

That’s a lot to process, but the economic smackdown of China started by Trump’s tariff wars has done the intended job, and what it couldn’t do, covid did.

The flyover territories need a brighter future, much more than the 2 coasts.
Regional economic discrepancies in growth have widened too much since the Internet/knowledge era.

1 Like

Internet would be nice.

2 Likes

They don’t actually make cars anymore. That business is now controlled by the Germans. However, there might be some license payments involved (which tend to be a good source of profit).

1 Like

^
That!