Give me some good diversification ideas for stocks or other asset classes

Palantir on the move today, some deal with IBM

One of my sleeper cells and the worst performing stock in my portfolio just woke up.

HTBX, up 50% during half an hour of pre-market trading.

Nice surprise.

Let’s find some news…

Can’t find any news. Up 80%.

100% and counting…

No idea what they are working on, lung cancer drugs, I thought they were in the Covid vaccine race. Whatever, when to sell, when to sell? This is probably crashing down immediately after the bell.

Barron’s

But Paul Hudson, CEO of Sanofi (SNY), one of the world’s largest vaccine makers, says that expectations that messenger RNA will come to dominate the vaccine landscape in the coming years are overblown.

“I think everyone’s getting very excited that there is a new platform,” Hudson told Barron’s on Monday. But he noted that some messenger RNA programs had struggled before the pandemic. “So before we all, you know, declare a fundamental shift … Where I’m excited about mRNA is in targets that have never been treated before.”

Sanofi is collaborating with the messenger RNA-focused biotech Translate Bio (TBIO) on a Covid-19 vaccine. The companies also signed a $425 million deal this past June, worth up to $1.9 billion in potential milestone payments, under which Sanofi obtained the rights to manufacture and commercialize infectious-disease vaccines using Translate’s technology.

“I think in a pandemic where speed is one of the key ingredients, I think we have to accept that in a single antigen pandemic, mRNA is probably the first go-to,” Hudson said. “But in regular times, I think we also have to be clear, that if you’re coming into a market with mRNA, say [the] influenza [vaccine market], and you’re competing with current influenza [vaccines], it’s very different when you have to compete with the standard of care with a well-characterized safety profile. So that bar is high.”

Just to share an example of my stupidity.

So HTBX went up 100% pre-market yesterday on some good testing result news. I knew it would crash down during market hours. So I wanted to sell before 9:30, had an order in for 18, then thought, why not try 19… Never second-guess your initial plan…

Well, it’s still 50% above what it was yesterday, but dang, these missed opportunities.

Did the same with AMC, but at least sold some of it when it was really high.

Lesson learned. Take the profits when you can.

2 Likes

Bought some NVTA
Glad I didn’t sell SHOP, should have bought way more obviously

Yeah, genomics stock is the future

Yeah, that FB deal is coming in handy

I bought some ZOM at market open and FOMOd in… i bought at $2.50 and it immediately crashed all day to $2.30 . Over 300million shares traded today in ZOM but the price didn’t budge.

Learned… don’t FOMO in. But I didn’t buy a lot so no big loss

2 Likes

When everyone’s talking about buying, sell!

Dude, just set a Trailing stop. get 8 or 10% from the peak. If it sells, fine, you cashed out high. If not, let it run.

Just a PSA: If you don’t have access to cheap/free US trades and have a HK bank account, you can use sofi.hk for free US and HK trading (just the government fees for HK). The signup process works well for foreigners in Taiwan and is all in-app. The app is very gamified and cutesy but works well.

2 Likes

Nice advice, I’ll look into it.

I guess those who can, do. Those who can’t, SPAC.

A-Rod has one.

I like it. It’s like Lebron having his own production company. Why not? What’s CK looking to get onto?

Because the SPAC structure is more than anything a way for sponsors to get risk-free profit from retail investors. Any gains realized by retail investors are incidental.

If Kap wanted to raise a bunch of PE money to buy a company, take over management, etc., that’s one thing. The SPAC boom, as this point, is just wanton retail investor rape.

My gains since last summer via SPACs have been a bit more than incidental. $$$

I’ve made good money from a number of SPACs too. But that’s not the point. Our gains pale in comparison to those of the sponsors, and ours weren’t risk free.

The gains delivered to retail investors are incidental to the people setting up the SPACs. They don’t need to deliver gains to profit significantly.

1 Like

It doesn’t bother me that they get richer. It’s up to me to decide whether or not to hitch my wagon. Do you see this as some kind of injustice?

Nope. Just another Wall Street grift. And increasingly amusing in its celebrity audacity.

Given the amount of new tech that is flooding into the sphere of public investment, it’s not surprising. I don’t care much for the celeb backing and wouldn’t ever buy a SPAC solely bc of a face…but, some will. So, I get your point, but the market is not for childishness and dreams.