Give me some good diversification ideas for stocks or other asset classes

Coinbase is here.

One week before its initial public offering, Coinbase said the current Bitcoin rally has helped its revenue rocket by 847% during the first quarter.

Coinbase said Tuesday it expects first-quarter revenue of about $1.8 billion, up from $190.6 million for the same period in 2020. Its first-quarter net income jumped between $730 million to $800 million, from about $32 million last year. Assets on the Coinbase platform rose to $223 billion during the first three months of the year, versus $90 billion at the end of 2020.

Coinbase, the largest U.S. cryptocurrency exchange, is scheduled to make its public equity-markets debut on April 14 as a direct listing. The San Francisco-based company could be valued at more than $100 billion.

Coinbase Chief Financial Officer Alesia Haas said during a call announcing first-quarter results Tuesday that the crypto markets have observed four major price cycles since 2010. “We believe we entered the fourth price cycle in late 2020. We do not know where we are, though, in the current price cycle, but we can already see that we expect to reach a peak materially higher than the last all-time high,” she said, according to a transcript of the call.

Bitcoin in March hit an all-time high of more than $60,000, outperforming other asset classes.

Brian Armstrong, Coinbase’s CEO, said the total market capitalization of crypto is now nearly $2 trillion, of which Bitcoin has a 55% share. “But crypto is bigger than just Bitcoin—and Coinbase will ultimately strive to support every legitimate cryptocurrency in the market,” he said.

The surge in crypto helped Coinbase turn in a huge quarter. Trading volume was $335 billion, while verified users were 56 million, up from 43 million at the end of 2020. Monthly transacting users—those retail users who transact in one or more products on the Coinbase platform at least once during a rolling 28-day period—stood at 6.1 million in Q1, more than double the 2.8 million MTUs at the end of 2020.

Institutional interest in crypto has grown. About 55%, or $122 billion, of Coinbase’s $223 billion in assets came from institutions.

Crypto price cycles can last two to four years and can be highly volatile, the company said. The exchange said it measures its performance through these price cycles and not quarterly results. As such, Coinbase didn’t provide any revenue or profit guidance for the rest of 2021. The company expects to rack up about $35 million in one-time expenses in the second quarter due to its IPO. It anticipates expenses between $1.3 billion to $1.6 billion for full year 2021, the statement said.

How do you buy shares in coinbase pre IPO? Is it possible?Otherwise I’ll pick up some market price at launch, any tips on that ?

I don’t know how it has crazy expenses of 1.3 to 1.6 billion. That’s weird.

On April 1, 2021, the U.S. cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase announced that it anticipates its stock will begin trading on the Nasdaq stock exchange on April 14, 2021, under the ticker “COIN.” The company will go public via a direct listing, which is a strategy Slack and Spotify also used to sell shares directly to the public without an intermediary.

So, no SPAC shit. Direct listing.

1 Like

I highly recommend to invest . I don’t know if can get the best in price but they are a leader for sure. I will have my cash ready.

(Note: This is NOT a traditional IPO. Coinbase is offering shares through a direct listing on the NASDAQ. The company announced on April 1, 2021, that it expects its stock to start trading on April 14, 2021, on the NASDAQ. This offering does not have underwriters. Goldman Sachs, J.P.Morgan, Allen & Co. and Citigroup are acting as financial advisors for the Coinbase direct listing.

(No public market for our Class A common stock currently exists. However, our shares of Class A common stock and Class B common stock (on an as-converted basis) have a history of trading in private transactions. Based on information available to us, the low and high sales price per share of Class A common stock and Class B common stock (on an as-converted basis) for such private transactions during the first quarter of 2021 (through March 15, 2021) was $200.00 and $375.01, respectively. The volume weighted-average price per share for the first quarter of 2021 (through March 15, 2021) was $343.58.)

Coinbase powers the cryptoeconomy. Our mission is to create an open financial system for the world – built by using blockchain technology. Today, the way that we invest, spend, save, and generally manage our money remains cumbersome, inaccessible, expensive, and regionally isolated. In contrast, the Internet has transformed our society by connecting the world and enabling the seamless exchange of information. The legacy financial system is struggling to keep pace with the speed of technological advancements in a global and digitally interconnected society. We started in 2012 with the radical idea that anyone, anywhere, should be able to easily and securely send and receive Bitcoin, the first crypto asset.

https://www.iposcoop.com/ipo/coinbase-global-inc/

When Brian Jones talks

1 Like

This is the only thing I ever really made money on.
So …Yeah. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Stocks or Bitcoin/crypto?

This.
Stocks I made small money .
I made more money from crypto than working hard for twenty years.
It’s a little disturbing to think about . Playing around with computer money.

2 Likes

Perhaps we should talk about long term DRiPS. lol But then again, we made more selling houses.

Barron’s again…

Much of gold’s move lower this year has been blamed on the rise in the U.S. dollar and Treasury yields.

“Investors shifted into Treasury products to have a return on their investments,” says Panizzutti. Rising bond yields can dull investor interest in gold, which offers no yield.

Also contributing to gold’s losses is a rise in confidence in the economic growth outlook in Asia, mainly China, and in the U.S., which “kicked in faster and earlier than previously expected,” decreasing the appetite for gold, Panizzutti says.

Looking ahead, gold prices would likely climb if equity markets soften and volatility rises, says the Perth Mint’s Rich.

That could happen if interest rates rise faster than the markets expect, if the Federal Reserve sees the pandemic “waning and starts to pull back on their support, or if inflation were to rise in a more sustainable fashion than the Fed anticipates,” he says.

If there are signs that the pandemic is ending, “we will see the real effect of the massive U.S. and global government stimulus spending,” Rich says. That could lead to gains in gold as expanding debt threatens to weaken the spending value of the dollar.

As for how high prices may go this year, Panizzutti believes it’s “fairly possible” that gold can move back toward $2,000 an ounce in the course of the year. It settled at $1,741.60 on April 7.

The “massive emergency” stimuli and subsidies injected in the global economy in the past 12 months resulted in “very significant monetary expansion,” he says. Paper currency could “lose value over time and affect purchasing power in major economies,” and gold would then become a “good hedge” against that loss of purchasing power.

Barron’s spoke with Philip Morris management in December about the company’s plans to convert traditional smokers to its products as it looks toward a future without combustible cigarettes. Its incoming CEO Jacek Olczak said its investment in smoke-free alternatives has been “a massive investment, but it equips the company with the right assets going forward.”

I’ve owned MO since 2004 or so. When they do lots of R&D…look out.

DRipping since '04.

Impressive diamond hands… '18~20 they went down 50% from all time high, but you were still up 200% or something of course.

Do they try to play in the cannabis market? Looks like it.

This is basically it, big tobacco knows how to navigate regulation, they’ll just wait to see which cannabis companies float to the top, then buy them out,

(flips burger)

1 Like

I think that is on the back burner…stewing. Heated products are the shizzle now. And PM put in a lot of dough, had great results in Japan years ago…now translating to EU and the US soon to follow…with MO I hope.

I look at how many shares I own now in MO and PM, and the ones I sold for niiice green in the KRFT and MDLZ spinoffs. CRazy stuff…the markets all gambling man…that’s what young teachers would say to me. The I told them the MO put my kid through college.

That’s more a story of investing over the long term though. Spring chicken.:grin:

Past two weeks the market has been very indecisive. As if no one knows where to go next. Up down, up down, going nowhere. Also very sensitive to whatever comes out of Powell’s mouth, even if it’s just hot air.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t like it. Its flat with low volume. Not much to trigger it up or (worse) down. The market seems to realize that it’s all going to come crashing down at some point but nobody wants to a) miss the party or b) be the last to run for the hills. Nobody believes the fed inflation rate. Everyone’s unnerved about rising bond interest rates. Nobody is sure vaccines will solve the virus issue. There is a lot of underlying economic weakness. Money is being created out of thin air in large amounts

The whole market now feels sick

1 Like

Or its just reached a permanent plateau of prosperity :sunglasses::grin:.
Just invest in the long term ones, travel for me, a little bit here and there , .DCA…

1 Like