Global Wafers Co

Recently Global Wafers Co. Ltd invested € 300 millions to build up a new plant in Novara (Italy). I was suggested to apply so i recently did.
Rumors say such big investment could represent a partial relocation of the bigger taiwanese plant of Hsinchu.

Their website says:

Products
Polished and Epitaxial Wafers

IDK what that is. How high end are those kinds of chips? Is 300 million a lot for this kind of chip expansion?

TSMC just put 40 billion into Arizona. That’s a lot. Enough to make Warren Buffet sell.

1 Like

Those wafers are what TSMC uses.
Warren Buffett doesn’t like high continual R&D in a firm, like TSMC. Buffett’s biggest holding is Apple (or top 2 or 3). If Taiwan gets hit by China in any way or manner, his Apple holdings are fuqqed anyway. So, any media saying he sold TSMC on geopolitical worries is overlooking his top holding, Apple.

Pledged. They always announce multi year capital spending plans in advance. They won’t necessarily invest all of it.

2 Likes

It’s the raw material chip makers start with, the “blank” wafer.

1 Like

…which becomes:

…which in turn is diced up into:

…and then mounted and leaded (not leaded):

…and packaged for use in an electronic device:

(No relationship between any of these images and many thousands of steps skipped for brevity and convenience. This concludes my TED Talk.)

1 Like