Gluten-Free Pizza?

Title says it all. Any chances in Kaohsiung?

I just asked my wife and she says Gluten free is not really a thing here, Asians are not really effected by Celiac Disease.
It maybe genetic or maybe because gluten is a part of the diet here, itā€™s a prebiotic and a source of iron apparently (this i didnā€™t know).

Maybe better to invest in an oven then you can better manage your condition.

1 Like

One in Taipei (need to pay extra 150ntd on top of regular price):

2 Likes

Actually, celiac has been found consistently as about 1% of the population in every human population on earth. Its just better monitored/tested for/researched in white people. Not of Northern European descent = ā€œnot going to bother testing you for itā€. Doesnā€™t mean other people dont have it.

1 Like

If they are not being tested does this mean they just accept it and live with it or that they are not affected so have no need to find out whatā€™s wrong?

Either way itā€™s still the general mentality of people around as to why gluten free is not really a thing here.

Itā€™s estimated that over 80% of the people with celiac have no idea they have it. There are over 300 symptoms, including no symptoms at all. So I would imagine plenty of people with GI distress, stomach cancer, low iron, poor nutrient absorption, etc. here in Taiwan are simply chasing solutions like vitamins and medications (and cancer treatment as necessary) when their problem is actually an autoimmune response to their gluten consumption.

So itā€™s not just Asia then.

It donā€™t matter what you imagine or me for that matter, at the moment gluten free is still not really something that is Sean as a selling point here.

Doctors here have all the tools available to them as in other countries, as I mentioned on another thread the gastroenterologist are competent and are quite thorough with the tests.

:joy:. The celiac panel is the only test Iā€™ve ever been told must be paid for out of pocket and that was after multiple hospitals told me there was no way to test for celiac in Taiwan at all. NT$2,000. Took over two months to get the results back.

What? Gluten free is a selling point? If you are celiac, gluten is like poison, even just a little. To properly test, you have to do a gluten challenge and then do a biopsy. Is not a joke.

Yes it was a fad diet at one point, I should say that my mother had an autoimmune response to gluten and a few other things due to her chemo and really had to watch her diet.

I think the trend has pretty much fizzled out at this point. More Keto and Paleo and even more wild diet ideas than that with lots of influencers now. Not to mention its waaayyy easier to not include grains in a food product than it is to make it certified gluten free (but keto and paleo and other nuts will still pay the crazy prices that people who didnā€™t have celiac would pay for certified gf food).

Kind of interesting to watch the gluten free trend play out ā€” there are scientific studies that showed an elimination of gluten from the diet helps with quite a few autoimmune and other heath conditions besides celaicā€¦while also having no proven efficacy at all in others. Now people on the internet are like ā€œI ate only grass fed beef with pink salt for two years straight and it cured my ALS!ā€.

Gluten free food had come such a long way sinceā€¦the days no one had even heard of gluten? I would imagine the trend isnā€™t going to go totally away, but I can also say with confidence it wont pick up much in Taiwan, given the fact that a celiac diagnosis practically impossible to get.

1 Like

While I have no idea about gluten free (mmm, gluten), I can say Woolloomooloo is amazing for anyone. Giant fusion menu, dominantly Australian style with a ton of Greek and ā€œHealthier Americanā€ influences.

2 Likes

Do they still have gluten free pizza? Is it available at all of their locations?

I had one 2 weeks ago at their restourant on RenAi road. They offer all types of pizza on menu to have gluten free crust. There is store next to restourant where you can purchase quite few gluten free groceries, like flour, pasta, cereal, tortillasā€¦

1 Like

Do you mean this location on Xinyi Road?