Gogoro electric scooter

Nice! @Brianjones @Rocket

1 Like

Belongs here.

2 Likes

This plan now showed up in the gogoro website ā€œmy planā€, where you can pay your bills and change your plan details - in English. The app only has Chinese for these functions.

$299 Flex Plan

• Pay for the power you use at $2.3 TWD per Ah and $299 TWD per month.
  • Enjoy Dynamic Discount and save up to 20% at select GoStations.
  • Free Sport Mode included (valued at $249 TWD).
  • Enjoy Battery Damage Waiver.
  • Enjoy up to $200 TWD Swap Credit after the first swap every month. Additional $100 TWD Swap Credit will be given for 3 months to first-time subscribers who sign up before Dec. 31, 2019.
  • GoChargerĀ® and GoChargerĀ® Plus are not supported.
  • Vehicle Maintenance is not included in this package.

Regarding the other question:

I guess their estimate is probably plausible. Here are two ways I tried to calculate based on my ride data:

Each Battery has 30.3 Ah nominal capacity (which for sure is not fully used). So with 2 full batteries you have 60.6Ah nominal. With one battery swap (2 batteries) I reach an average of 55km per charge (mostly 50~60km, some extremes were 31km and 74km - no idea what caused those). From that I would assume a bit over 1 Ah per km.

That data is for 2 people, going rather fast, often Yangminshan uphill/downhill, using regenerative breaking as much as I can. The data was collected over ~50 swaps with fully charged batteries where I wrote down the km and remaining percentage, then extrapolated the range in km assuming 100% battery capacity were used.

Or a different way: For my last ride of 9.5km in the city I calculated around 0.9 Ah / km from the data available in the app (39 Wh/km divided by 43.2V of the currently used battery). The plan is 2.3NT per Ah. So 30NTD get you around 13Ah, which would mean around 14~15km.

Assuming these 0.9Ah/km above, the new ā€œ299 Flexā€ is

• The cheapest plan by a tiny margin if you stay under ~200km/month
  • Above ~200km the ā€œ499 / 315kmā€ plan is cheapest
  • Above ~450km the ā€œ799 / 639kmā€ plan is cheapest
  • Above ~700km the ā€œ899 Flat (min 3 years)ā€ plan is cheapest

So I guess the 299 Flex plan mostly makes sense for people that drive not so much, but occasionally drive more. Advantage is you get the higher acceleration package included, disadvantage is that it still quickly gets more expensive than the plans with more km included.

4 Likes

So, based on your calculations, the standard NT299 (not flex) plan is never a good deal, right?

Did you make this chart yourself ?

Yep, made it myself. Any mistakes are mine ^^

Yeah, the standard 299 looks like always either roughly the same or more expensive than the 299 Flex. But my assumed 0.9Ah per km could be way off for some peoplesā€™ driving style. So especially if you drive very fast and sporty, but not many km, there could be a niche where the standard 299 is a bit cheaper.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know what to say.
With a brain like that you should be working for Gogoro

1 Like

We had to replace our scooter due to age and some damage that occurred in an accident.
I was advocating to get an electric one, but could not get through the opposition. Mostly about range anxiety and monthly cost. I am not the main user of the scooter, so it went the other way.
The scooter is just used occasionally. But sometimes for longer trips into the mountains where the charging stations are really scarce. Even around our area there are just a few battery swapping stations (Nantou City area). Oh well.

I think thatā€™s one of the issues with Gogoro biz model. if your are too far from one of their stations, sorryā€¦ :idunno:

1 Like

Kymco Ionex has same issues.

It is a chicken/egg problem.
Donā€™t buy electric out of city, not enough stations there. Donā€™t build stations out of cities, not enough electric scooters there.
The only way to solve this is to build stations aggressively even in remote areas. Kind of how Tesla did it. And now they have one of the best charging networks worldwide.

1 Like

Why doesnā€™t every 7-11 have a charge station. Or some kind of cable they could whip up to the bike. It would make sense.

1 Like

Seems reasonable, but Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a reason why they didnā€™t do it.
Cost? Management? Records? :idunno:

That chart is so very useful.

So you know what the hell heā€™s talking about?
Bunch of geniuses on this board :joy:

makes sense. e-bikes donā€™t seem that viable outside of the cities otherwise. riding up mountains drains the power too.

1 Like

Kymco Ionex should be easier to home-charge, but even Gogoro gives one that optionā€¦ grudgingly. So if you have some kind of garage, or are willing to carry the batteries to your home, home charging instead of battery swap is an option. I hope that soon most gas stations will provide batteries, though, making battery swap as easy as filling up gasoline powered scooters.

troll

Kids todayā€¦tell the guy heā€™s a genius and I recommend he works for Gogoroā€¦and he calls me a troll :sweat_smile:

I blame ______

1 Like

What puts me off with Gogoro, etc. they use their proprietary batteries and add some DRM nonsense. You canā€™t just plug it in into the wall with the right voltage/amps, you need their overpriced chargers. And still pay their monthly plan or you can not ride your own scooter!

The next printer ink, coffee pods, bullshit.

There is a standard for mobile phone chargers, why not make one for electric vehicles.

standards

3 Likes

The reason I will never own an Apple product.

3 Likes