Gogoro electric scooter

Are you charging the scooter or just the battery?

Thats a pity I saw a lot of them in Paris couple of years back.

Wrong approach, in Taiwan it works because battery swapping stations are abundant, Europe probably not.

1 Like

What should they do in Europe? They’re all rentals in Europe, so you can’t charge them at home

That’s not the issue, people don’t charge them at home in Taiwan, every corner has a battery swapping station. Even for the ‘rental’ Gogoros!

So you’re saying ain’t nothing Gogoro can do. Got it.

No, Coup needed to invest in more swap stations and probably a better app or business plan.

3 Likes

I think Coup failed but it doesn’t mean Gogoro will fail if they can sell their model directly to the consumer.

Also they obviously realise their current models are too expensive for shared networks in many countries, compared to something as simple as a standing scooter. Even in Taiwan they are moving to a cheaper model for the shared network .

3 Likes

Gogoro expands in Korea, for businesses.

You know why? Because in Korea, people who ride scooters are mainly delivery personnel.

So when Korean tourists arrive in Taiwan, they probably think everyone in Taiwan works in food delivery.

1 Like
2 Likes

i thought you needed an international drivers license before?

yea the vivo or viva whatever its called is great for this.
overseas i would also imagine theres not as many people willing to hop on a scooter compared to here where its like 90% of the population

Yep, just got the email. I have a TW license, but I thought this was interesting:

Foreign driver licenses that meet Taiwan’s Principles of Equality and Reciprocity will no longer be accepted.

I guess it makes sense. If you’re here short-term, an IDP is fine. If you’re here long-term, you need to get a local license.

but it says you can use an IDP or am i missing something?

ok, now i know whats up and i cannot use wemo anymore. you cannot use wemo on a normal driving license. you need a motorbike license. level A is an 125cc motorbike license. level B is for cars and 50cc motorbikes. as far as i know wemo is 50cc level.

and this is only for foreigners. taiwanese with only car (50cc bike level) licenses can still ride wemo. no changes.

anyone using wemo on a standard car license i would advise not updating the license and letting it run out, then you still can still use wemo for a month. if you update it without the motorbike level you will be kicked off.

In compliance with new regulations by Taiwan’s Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC)

Class A (A1, A2, A3) International Driver’s Permit (IDP),

Blockquote For more details, please refer to Taiwan’s MOTC website: https://www.thb.gov.tw/page?node=408d4b33-d248-46ed-8c2b-9066595af0f4

i couldn’t find anything on that link about the above 50cc bike license needed for renting 50cc bikes.
after phoning them they said my country doesn’t allow you to ride a 50cc on a B license, but in taiwan it does. well my country allows it too but whatever. guess i’ll ride go share until i’m kicked off of that too.

Over the last few weeks I’ve been on a little scooter buying quest. My wife told me to just buy it under her name and not even bother getting the license, I was like fuck that I’m doing this legit because I have an ARC and I’m a legal human being.

Got my license two weeks ago, passed on first try but it was not easy. I think I only passed by one point.

Next day started looking for a second hand Gogoro on the Facebook group called Gogoro二手買賣市場.

Test rode a few and found a good one this weekend, sealed the deal for $48,000, it’s a 1 yr old Gogoro 2 Delight with 10,000km and just replaced tires + chain. We went to the 監理站 to 過戶 together which was a pretty painless process.

Rode the scooter from Taipei to Yilan today and it was excellent, the scooter itself but also the weather, the coffee, and those glorious mountain roads.

Highly, highly recommend Gogoro for anyone wanting some mobility, it’s just so damn fun riding that thing, at this point I would not touch a gas scooter if you paid me.

The battery swapping, the instant torque, the design and user experience with the lights and sounds, it’s just all so perfectly executed. It actually makes me really happy to see a Taiwanese company paying so much attention to product design and getting it right in every single way. Such a contrast with the shitshow that is Acer, Asus, etc.

9 Likes

Jealous :sunglasses: I’d also go for the Gogoro2. Did you go over on the Bei Yi 北宜公路?

Why, you don’t like the looks of this…thing?

download (23)

I’m slowly getting used to that one, it’s a bit of a design classic :grin:

1 Like

Man, that would’ve been near impossible a few years ago with one to no charge stations on BeiYi.

Yep, first time scooting it though I’ve done it a few times on a bicycle, I have to say, sure is easier with an electric motor and 2 batteries :joy:

2 Likes