Gogoro electric scooter

I think in general it would have been impossible to own a Gogoro in Yilan right? The Go stations only went in over here in the last what, two years?

I’m hoping they put some on the Northern and Central Cross-Island Highways, it would be a blast to ride across those.

Xiaomi A1 und A1 Pro revealed in China.

Xiaomi A1 - 768 Wh battery - 60km ≈ 12,620 TWD
Xiaomi A1 Pro - 960 Wh battery - 70 km ≈ 16,825 TWD

Max speed 25km/h
Removable battery to charge at home
A1 Pro with builtin dash cam

I saw a Yamaha with Gogoro technology, looks nice.

1 Like

25km/h? That’s really, really slow unfortunately. For the city I feel 45 minimum is necessary in order not to become a burden on normal traffic.

Looks horrible.

Has anyone got a side by side comparison of all the various Gogoto models and variants in English?

https://www.gogoro.com/smartscooter/specs/?models=gogoro-s2-abs,gogoro-s2

Anyone has experience with GreenTrans?

@olm

Hello Guys,
I am planning, or looking at, moving to Taiwan kinda shortly.
Currently I do not have an international driving license, and to be fair I am not interested in getting one since I do not like to drive cars.

However I think getting a scooter is something that can be handy, and I’d like to have a look at the Gogoro 2.
To get a 50cc driving license, is it true I just need to do a written test?

My plan is to use to scooter around where I live, maybe 30 Km radius tops.

A Gogoro 2 is equal to 125cc, so you need an actual driver’s license.

1 Like

Oh ok!
Is it a difficult process/procedure?
Mainly: is it lengthy?

I did it a few months ago.

You go down to the driver’s license office in your town and take the written test. Outside, they have a testing ground where you have to pass a “road test” but it’s just a little course, it’s not connected to the actual roads.

You have to drive slowly in a straight line (and if you lose your balance you fail), then you have to stop at a fake railroad tracks, a fake stoplight, do a merge, etc etc.

It’s all easy except for the balancing, which is right at the beginning. That part is actually kinda tricky especially if you’re using their scooter, as I was, as you’ll be unfamiliar with its dynamics and you can’t practice first.

I passed on first try, but it was close, my score was very near failing. If you do fail, I think you can come back a week later and try again.

2 Likes

Before all of this, you’ll need an Alien Residency Card or some form of citizenship. If you don’t have that, all your questions and our answers will be moot.

I have a gold card.

Some information on how to exchange your license:

@slawa I had looked a bit into the “eMoving” products before I decided for a gogoro around 2 years ago. I got aware of them because I sometimes saw their scooters parked somewhere. At least back then, though, they were offering smaller models only. I wouldn’t mind small, but also the speed was capped around 30km/h or something like that - so more of an electric bicycle (sorry @ranlee I know you bike faster) than the real gas scooter replacement I was looking for. Also the range was somewhat limited as far as I recall, and home charging of a removable battery pack only. The latter can be a benefit over gogoro in general, but if you want to travel further than one battery load allows without delay, then swapping batteries is the only useful way I can think of.

Their new products seem to be more comparable to standard gas scooters, so I would definitely consider them. I didn’t find much about the battery charging / swapping yet, will do some research if I’m buying a new one.

3 Likes

I went over to the dealer to test drive one of the smaller ones. We are going to buy the eMoving Shine. (using all our stimulus vouchers :grin:)
It has a limit of 25 km/h dictated by law to be in a specific category. This has a few advantages. No license plate needed => no yearly tax.
But there is a secret mode where you can go up to 45km/h. In case police stops you, just turn off the scooter then it will be 25km/h limited again. :sweat_smile:
We have another scooter for the longer rides, so this one will be used to get around town. The range is about 60 km on the eScooter.
The battery can be taken out to be charged at home.

1 Like

That’s my max speed. Can only keep up for a few secs :grin:

1 Like

I too went 2 Delight. How are you doing on one charge? I get around 60km and need to change it out. I was hoping for at least 100km before changing batteries out. And I drive it similar to my gas scooter, which could go longer before I needed to fill it up with gas.

1 Like

It depends on the battery type and riding speed. There are 3 generations of batteries, you can tell them apart from the handle design. The first 2 gens give around 55km range and gen 3 gives around 75km.

But personally I don’t even get that much because I’m in Yilan and I ride empty countryside roads at 80 km/h almost exclusively.

So I typically get only about 50km even out of a gen 3 battery.

For me, it’s no big deal. Swapping is so easy, I’m just in the habit of swapping when I’m town.

1 Like