Gogoro electric scooter

I think the 100+km with gogoro2 would theoretically possible if you severely limited your speed. Like 30km/h.

For me, the biggest improvements were when doing this:

1. Happening to get the newest he generation batteries (space between handle and battery surface is smaller)
  2. Setting maximum regenerative braking in the app, mostly using this for deceleration
  3. Limit the acceleration to moderate and max speed to 50km/h (as measured by GPS - the odometer shows 60) in the app by activating “boring mode” (officially called “efficiency” setting)

I’m sure police doesn’t know about that.

1 Like

Police here don’t bother seeing someone running a red light. Or someone taking over the police car going straight from the turning lane. :grin:

3 Likes

You must be new in town. Article 23, Section 6 of the Traffic Enforcement Act (passed by the Legislative Yuan back in 2001 as part of Chen Shui-bian’s “Taiwanization” efforts) stipulates that the period in which “green light” traffic is permitted to go through the intersection actually extends up until a minimum of 2 seconds after the light turns run, and up to 5 seconds if the vehicle operator is over 65.

5 Likes

Hey, anyone who bought a Gogoro - did the government discount come in two separate installments? If yes, how far were they spaced out?

I bought a Gogoro though a local Taiwanese 6 months ago and have only received 60% of the grant so far, just wondering if this is normal.

Yeah, it’s normal. The subsidy is actually several subsidies from different bits of the government, and they come separately. They told me six months, when I bought mine a couple years ago.

1 Like

Can Gogoro scooters be ridden on all roads in Taiwan, including the national highways? Or are they not fast enough to operate on certain high speed roads?

I believe they are equivalent to 125CC. They also have a white license plate, so they are treated just like a regular scooter. So, no national highway and such.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s really helpful!

Is there a way (app or website) to get routes and estimated travel times for 125cc scooters? Google Maps supports cars and bicycles as transportation modes, but a scooter is somewhere in between.

You can drive anything on a national highway, even a donkey cart.

The mobile app has an option to route for scooters but the webpage doesn’t seem to have it.

5 Likes

It seems like you can’t log into the app unless you have a subscription, but I want to check whether it will be easy to get to the places I want to go before I buy the scooter. Seems like bad design :frowning:

I notice battery station at some gas station news.

Are batteries available in every city in Taiwan now? Is it possible to ride completely around Taiwan going from battery station to battery station?

Maybe name some places you want to go and we can advise ^^

But seriously: if you plan stuff around Taipei, the answer is “sure, possible”. If you want to go to the high mountains, the answer is “nope”.

Simply look at the map of gogoro battery stations to get a feeling where it’s convenient, and where not so: Gogoro 換電站地圖 – Google My Maps

You want to look at the black battery symbols, and probable ignore all other ones (white seems to be under construction, and the AC plug symbol seems to be something for plug-in)

Link is from this page: https://blog.mowd.tw/p/1108

There you can also find an Open Street Maps version: Gogoro 神器 - 換電站熱度圖

3 Likes

I’m curious if Taipei to Kaohsiung can be done comfortably in one day on a Gogoro. It’s 4 hours by car on the national highway, so I’m guessing a Gogoro would take closer to 6 hours (which I think is fine)?

hmmm I doubt it.

Ive done it on a gas scooter in 10… mostly because you get a lot of lights to stop at along the way and you need time off to rest and get food and drink or else your butt will be pretty numb.
Also if you start in Kaohsiung to Taipei in winter, it starts off warm but quickly goes cold as you go north so being warm clothes to change into.

2 Likes

Closer to 8-10 as said.

1 Like

Do you mean the Gogoro app? If you’re trying to find battery swap stations, you can look on their webpage.

https://www.gogoro.com/tw/findus/

It’s in Chinese, but I used it when I rented a Gogoro last month.

Absolute minimal 8 hours Taipei Kaohsiung by gas scooter (not Gogoro or electric) if only stopping for gas when needing gas and fast toilet breaks. More like 10-12+ riding non stop with no issues like weather, traffic, etc. Gogoro stopping every ~50km would make it much longer.

Four hours by car is optimistic. Maybe at 2am starting with full tank, no stopping for toilet breaks.

And other factors can affect the timing like where you start in Taipei and where you stop in Kaohsiung.

5 Likes