Gogoro electric scooter

Is there for comparison an overview map of the Ionix swap stations?

1 Like

I don’t know if there is an interactive map, but they do have an overview map on this page. I think you might have to download their app to get an interactive map.

According to Google translate it’s an overview map of their fast charging stations. I’m not familiar with Ionex, so I’m not sure if that’s the same as battery swapping or not.

1 Like

Do you have any tips for buying a secondhand Gogoro through this Facebook group (how to avoid lemons, how to negotiate, etc.)?

Would the first series of Gogoro still be viable, do you think?

Basically same as any purchase of a used item. Try a few so you have a good idea of what they should be like. Trust your gut. Get a little experience with pricing to understand how much you’re saving vs. purchasing a new one.

For a data point for you, I spent $48,000 for a Gogoro 2 which was 18 months old with 10k kilometers on it. He put a brand new chain and brand new tires on it right before selling, so that was included in the price I paid. A new Gogoro 2 would have been (if I remember correctly) around $85,000, or perhaps $70,000 - $75,000 after subsidies.

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t buy a Gogoro 1. They are not great for 2 riders and don’t have much space inside, both of which are important to me. But it might work for you if you’re ok with those tradeoffs. Also, if you’re buying second hand, the Gogoro 1’s out there tend to be older, whereas the 2 and 3 were released in more recent years, so the secondhand ones are all closer to new for those models.

2 Likes

Another question: Did you have to present your driver’s license when you transferred the registration? I’m wondering if I can still shop for scooters while I’m in the process of applying for a license.

I don’t remember, but I think so. Good to get the license first just in case.

1 Like

My Mrs was the registered owner for my first scooter - she didn’t have a license.

1 Like

Sales of electric scooters dropped, combustible engine scooters increased.

I bought a used Gogoro 2 Plus yesterday for NT$34,000 (was listed at NT$36,000 before negotiation). I bought it on Facebook Marketplace (I also looked at the Facebook group Gogoro二手買賣市場 but Facebook Marketplace had much better selection and pricing). The scooter seems like it’s in fairly good condition (no rust or exterior damage), but I need to check whether it needs a chain/sprocket replacement given that it has 21,000 km on it and I’m not sure if the previous owner replaced those.

1 Like

Enjoy! Remember to oil the chain every few hundred kilometres, else you get a rougher sound and feeling.

Interesting that you mention “no rust”. Where exactly would you expect rust?

On my Gogoro 2, I saw the mirrors’ hinges getting a bit rusty very quickly. Also the brake fluid tanks developed some whitish corrosion (?) as well. Both happened already after a few months, didn’t get much worse in the 1.5 years after that.

1 Like

Also after heavy rain fall! I have found this this is very useful for the G2 chain:

2 Likes

Thanks! I do notice a weird almost grinding sound when accelerating from a stop, I think I will try oiling it and see if it helps, and if not I’ll schedule a maintenance check-up (which is probably a good idea anyway).

On several of the used bikes I looked at, there was rust on the undercarriage (especially on the shock absorbers):

One bike also had corrosion on the brake fluid caps like you mentioned:

Rust on the ball swivels for the mirrors seemed like a pretty universal problem on all the used Gogoros I looked at, like you mentioned. Not too concerning, as the mirrors still seem to move fine:

Thanks! I’ll check that out, I used that same brand on my bicycle chain back in the States :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting - I guess I have to check my shock absorbers

Also, after riding the scooter for a day it’s quite clear that the first accessory I need to purchase is a phone mount (手機架shǒujī jià) so I can use Google Maps navigation while riding. Does anyone have any recommendations for a phone mount (in terms of brand / where to purchase)? I really like the ones that come installed on the GoShare scooters, because they fit my phone and have built-in wireless charging, so I would get one of those if I knew the brand.

I’m not sure if it’s an actual problem, I just used it as a proxy for how well-maintained a given scooter was.

Get the new iPhone it has an electromagnet and you can just mount it directly to your head if you happen to be a robot

1 Like

My springs, brake fluid caps as well as the mirrors have a little bit of corrosion on them, but that’s been there for awhile. I’ve gone in for regular maintenances ever since I bought it and mechanics have not told me it’s not an issue.

1 Like

You might have a high-tech machine with low quality everything else, cuts cost.

It’s normal for scooters that are parked outdoors as opposed to underground parking. You can see also the black plastic fairings looking a bit washed out, there are plenty of liquids to take care of that.

1 Like