Going from Taiwan's Gold Card to Taiwanese Citizenship

Did you see this thread I made?

not really, they were citizen (the term used on the Albertine statute, i.e. the Kindgom’s constitution, was “regnicoli”, roughly translated as Kingdom inhabitants) but didn’t enjoy the franchise and weren’t able to pass on citizenship. However the first ever election where women could vote was in 1946 (local elections) and then the national referendum on the form of government (monarchy vs republic) that was held together with the election for the constituent assembly to write a new constitution (either monarchical or republican based on the referendum outcome).

2 Likes

Well even democratic countries don’t treat everyone fairly do they?

2 Likes

Of course not, but we have enforcement mechanisms to do as much as we possibly can.

Nobody is perfect, but I don’t think throwing up my arms in the air and saying it is what it is is a good strategy for improvement.

But the track record as a whole is far better than dictatorships.

If dual citizenship is not allowed, then it shouldn’t be allowed for anyone.

If it is allowed, it should be allowed for everyone.

3 Likes

I think she might be. My wife would be over the moon if she could earn that much in Taiwan, let alone in the Philippines. :slight_smile:

Taiwan isn’t a poor country e.g., but even here, a 5,000 USD (160,000 NTD) monthly salary is considered above average. In the Philippines, this would be considered an excellent salary.

4 Likes

well, even in a “first world” country like Italy 5k USD/mo is a well above average salary, very few get that.

3 Likes

It is a lot and yes they are poor as a whole. What are you talking about? Do you think they like the working conditions in Taiwan?

Was it supposed to be a joke or sarcasm of some kind?

The latest Philippine GNI per capita announced by the World Bank was $3,950 for 2022.

https://www.bworldonline.com/opinion/2023/07/24/535512/philippines-47-years-in-lower-middle-income-country-limbo/?amp

3 Likes

My girlfriend was a factory worker in Taiwan. She was stressed and very tired a lot of the time but was paid correctly and made over 40,000NTD a month (including overtime).

I inspired her to save and set up a business in the Philippines.

I dealt with a lot of the clients (in terms of communication) until she built up her confidence.

Now she employs people in the Philippines and can afford to come to Taiwan every couple of weeks.

She really didn’t realize the opportunity she had right in front of her. Anywhere there is good internet there is an opportunity to make money. It is just finding that niche market income.

@Satellite_TV sometimes stays at my house and they talked a lot about business and he gave her a lot of solid business advice that really took her to the next level. We also sometimes stay at his place in Alishan.

3 Likes

So your point is that everyone who doesn’t earn that kind of salary (or even lives in poverty) is just kinda lazy? And that everyone should just start a business and they can become wealthy too?

The way you talk about this sounds a bit condescending to me…

Not so at all. In fact Comfy’s GF comes from a province where people do live in poverty. She is not far from Angeles City, a city well known for ill repute and crime is rampant there.

So a young lass who worked at a factory in Taiwan, saved up as much as possible, is now earning a very good income running her own business and employing other people. That’s condescending to you? She went to open an bank account in the Philippines and they turned her away at first not believing her about her business. Now she is a VIP Customer.

The Philippines is full of very wealthy people. Forumosa is owned by one of them.

He has written about it on this forum many times. Goose Egg.

2 Likes

I don’t doubt that at all. Most “poor” countries have quite a few very rich people, too. Look at how many billionaires India and China have - but they still have lots of inequality and also many people who have to feed their family on a fraction of that.

So for a regular/average/normal person in the Philippines (and quite a few other countries, too!), 5000 USD a month would be a lot of money.

And that was @Fuzzy_Barbecue’s point in his post, wasn’t it?
A “regular” IT worker in the US earning an average IT-salary can easily qualify for a Gold Card by salary. For a “regular” person in the Philippines, it’s mostly out of reach (unless they’re earning an exceptional salary).

I am sure comfy123 is happy for his girlfriend that she made it and is now earning a good amount of money. But I stand by my comment: That sounds quite condescending in this context (as in: purely bragging and making fun of people who are not so blessed with money as she apparently is).

1 Like

Across the world there is inequality. Especially in the USA… how many people in the USA (outside of the elite cities) earn more than 5,000 a month?

1 Like

Nup

1 Like

Most rich countries have a lot of poor people living in poverty as well.

1 Like

https://www.bls.gov/careeroutlook/2023/data-on-display/education-pays.htm

The median wage for a Bachelor’s degree holder (over 25, full-time job) was $1432 per week in 2022. That’s already US$5000 per month.

So I would argue that it’s still much easier to qualify for a Gold Card in the US than it is in the Philippines. We can disagree on that if you want.

The full quote on @Fuzzy_Barbecue 's argument was this:

I believe this is due to Taiwan Gold Card’s requirements that disproportionately affect talents from developing nations. For example :

• Most paths leading to a Taiwan Gold Card require a monthly salary of 160,000NT$ (approx. 5000 USD). This is not an uncommon salary in some of the countries listed above, but in most developing nations, you’d need to be in the top 1% (if not 0.1%) of wage earners to qualify. This severely restricts the pool of qualified candidates.

If your response to this issue is just “That’s life” - well, that says a lot about you…

1 Like

Well try living in NY or SF or many of the other major cities on your 5k a month which is not net income. Also Gold card is not income based only there are other criteria to meet.

I could qualify on income but not on the skills criteria. You cannot come in by salary alone.

1 Like

Yeah, so living on a poverty income in NY qualifies you for a Gold Card by salary while living on a great salary in the Philippines won’t allow you in because it might still be less than NT$160k.

I’d say that’s not fair (and limiting Taiwan’s potential) - you’re saying that’s life :upside_down_face:

But that’s how a large amount of Gold Card holders actually got their card. Including me. I guess I got lucky. But that’s probably life :wink:

1 Like

She wouldn’t either… but she doesn’t need a gold card… We can get her in on a JFRV to a white Taiwanese citizen and after three years she’ll be able to get citizenship (as Filipino citizens can renounce and resume.)

No it doesn’t as there is no Gold Card based in income alone anymore. They changed it to stop people no skills and lot’s of money coming in. PhD holders are exempt even if they have not met the income criteria. A recent gold card holder who got his from having such education is struggling in Taiwan to even find an English teaching job. He is posting everywhere looking for work.

You got lucky.

That’s life.

1 Like

Yep I’ve heard of people on gold cards teaching English with salaries of 60,000 a month lol. So much for a “special professional.”

Even seen one with a PHD who was looking for kindergarten jobs after being fired from another because he refused to follow their policies…