How to Make a Discrimination Complaint to the MOI - An easy guide

How to Make a Discrimination Complaint to the MOI - IN LESS THAN 10 MINUTES

Living in Taiwan as a foreigner can sometimes be challenging. It’s not uncommon to face discrimination from banks, phone companies, and other institutions. They often operate under the assumption that foreigners are unaware of their rights or don’t know how to lodge a complaint. However, it’s essential to remember that you have the right to be treated fairly, just like any other resident. By filing a complaint, you’re not only standing up for yourself but also paving the way for others who might face similar challenges. Here’s how you can make your voice heard:

1. Gather Necessary Documents:

Before you start, ensure you have the following documents at hand:

2. Filling Out the Application:

Here is the link to an EXAMPLE of how to fill it out -

  • Don’t be daunted by the form. Follow the provided example for guidance, and remember, you only need to write in English. Example MOI complaint.pdf - Google Drive
  • The second page of the application is reserved for lawyers. If you haven’t sought legal assistance, you can leave this page blank.
  • If you encounter any doubts or questions while filling out the form, don’t hesitate to post them here for clarification.

3. Sending the Application:

Once you’ve filled out the application:

  • Head to your nearest post office.
  • Mail the application to the following address:
    Ministry of Interior
    6F., No. 5, Xuzhou Rd.,
    Zhongzheng District,
    Taipei City 100218,
    Taiwan (R.O.C.)

The entire mailing process is quick and should take no more than 5 minutes. So, take a stand and give those managers the fright of their life!

4. Follow Up:

  • After waiting for about a week, visit the official MOI service website:
  • Initiate communication by writing in and mentioning the date you posted your discrimination complaint along with your ARC number. Inquire if they have received your application.
  • This step is crucial as it establishes a line of communication with the MOI. If they require any additional documents or information, they will reach out to you via email.

What do you see as the circumstances where people should be complaining to the MOI rather than the FSC or whoever? For things like those discussed in the other threads, do you think these complaints should be filed concurrently with the MOI?

This is definitely something you should write concurrently. As @Mataiou and I have found… The immigration act article 62 is under the ministry of interior and therefore not under the purview of the FSC or FOI so therefore requires a concurrent complaint for maximum effect.

The FOI has also confirmed this with me and suggested concurrently.


Good to know, thanks! Guess I’ll be doing that too then.

1 Like

So what does that “sue”/“not sue” box mean? Is that indicating a willingness to take legal action (and pay for it, presumably), that you’re already taking legal action, or something else?

Also, I think for the “education” checkboxes, the first six or so are about education and the last three (or just the last one?) are about Chinese ability?

1 Like

It means that you are willing to be contacted and cooperate if the MOI decides to take action against the business.

If you don’t tick yes it makes it all pointless.

Also no you don’t have to pay money. The whole process is free :slight_smile: :money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:


Oh right! I missed that! I’ll update it tomorrow :slight_smile: :sleeping::sleeping::sleepy::yawning_face:

1 Like

I updated it. For reference 中文能力(Chinese ability):佳(good) ’ 可 ok/bad just tick the last box. Also the education boxes don’t really matter anyway… I can’t imagine eyebrows being raised unless you tell them you only graduated from elementary


Is this supposed to be either/or? If we need both then surely we should make a descrimination complaint about the descrimination complaint process descriminating against us as a local would only be asked to produce ID.

I believe it is either. However I’d just provide both it’s not much hassle and you don’t need certified copies

I’ve also won against TECO in Australia that wanted me to provided a certified copy of my passport from the Australian consulate in Taipei. (They asked Taiwanese for their ID cards and refused ARCs…)


I sent both, on a single sheet of paper. Like @comfy123 said, it’s not that much more work anyway.

1 Like

Hopefully it’s either, if the requirement is both then it’s massively ironic that the discrimination procedure discriminates by not accepting government issued ID as the sole method of proving identity. How easy or not it is to provide is not point.

Yeah true, I agree, though for the sake of convenience with whatever your main complaint is it’s probably not a fight I’d be trying to start at the moment…

1 Like

It’s the fight I shall start with so, for I have no other.

So you’re going to file a complaint about them possibly not accepting the complaint itself without a copy of your passport?



Yes! And then I’ll complain about them not accepting the claim about them.