Going to NIA to ask for a short extension, anything to know?

In the course of switching jobs, my previous work didn’t give me my withholding tax statement, leading to a delay in getting my new ARC processed by my new job, leading to the immigration people calling me yesterday, and then my new employer, who then emailed me last night telling me NIA says I need to do a visa run.

Other friends have told me I can go to NIA and ask for a short extension… I’ve got all my paperwork for my new ARC ready to go (unless my old work screwed up my withholding tax statement again, and it needs to be fixed) and I can have it submitted tomorrow by my new employer, so I don’t need much of a grace period here… I’m planning on going over first thing tomorrow (Thurs) morning, I was told to dress nice, show up early before they deal with any jerks and get in a bad mood, but is there anything else I should say/do? Something to convince them that it wasn’t my fault, that my old employer was lazy and poorly organized (and possibly trying to do something shady with my taxes), and that I’ve tried my best to be legal about this. I can even show them my text messages and emails from my former employer showing the delays and their stalling.

Anything I should know?

Thanks Forumosa… I seem to be on here a lot recently…

Sorry if I missed something, but I’m a little unclear on a couple facts.

What are you missing to make the application for your new ARC? My understanding is once you make your application, you get a receipt, which can be used to justify extending your stay. That the NIA has already said you gotta leave, though, doesn’t sound good.

That your previous employer didn’t give you a tax withholding statement shouldn’t hold up ARC processing. My understanding is that the tax-related document you need to renew your ARC comes from the tax office, not your employer. I’ve always had to go to the tax office to get an official print out that details what taxes I paid in the previous year.

[quote=“CraigTPE”]Sorry if I missed something, but I’m a little unclear on a couple facts.

What are you missing to make the application for your new ARC? My understanding is once you make your application, you get a receipt, which can be used to justify extending your stay. That the NIA has already said you gotta leave, though, doesn’t sound good.

That your previous employer didn’t give you a tax withholding statement shouldn’t hold up ARC processing. My understanding is that the tax-related document you need to renew your ARC comes from the tax office, not your employer. I’ve always had to go to the tax office to get an official print out that details what taxes I paid in the previous year.[/quote]

I was told by my new job that I needed a tax receipt, that I needed to hand in my tax withholding statements from everywhere I worked in 2009, and that they would give me a receipt that was needed for my ARC application. When I went to the tax office they also said this, or at least didn’t object when I asked if I was correct in needing that. It’s that tax related document that comes from the tax office that I need, the official print out of what one paid in taxes that I need.

Usually, once you have your paperwork submitted you’re ok, it doesn’t really matter when you actually get the new ARC. They’ll even stick a reentry permit in your passport if you need to leave Taiwan before it’s ready.
How long ago did your old ARC expire? If it’s not too long, then you should just have to pay a fine, no visa run. I was a little bit late getting my new ARC application in last year - I submitted it three days after my old ARC expired. I had to pay a 2000 NT fine, and that was it. Although if the gap is significantly longer, I imagine the penalties will likely increase.