Gold Card (Economy) salary question

Hey everyone,

I am sorry if this was asked before but I couldn’t find it in a quick search.

If you apply for the Gold Card in the ‘Economy’ field, do you need to earn/prove a salary of 160.000NT for a full year?

I recent have a new job (2 months now) where I earn around that amount but I am not sure if that already counts or not. Is it necessary to earn that salary for a whole year every month in order to qualify for the card?

Thanks a lot!

On the gold card thread, some posters said one month was enough, others said they needed a full year. Some posters said pay slips were enough, others said they needed a tax report from their government. I’m not a gold card holder, but from what I’ve seen, the rules seem to be interpreted very differently depending on who processes your application.

Welcome to Taiwan. Press 1 if you still want to proceed with your application. Press 2 if you still want to proceed with your application.

5 Likes

Very roughly, as at 2021:

• default case: you provide a yearly tax return and the salary earnings is divided by 12, converted into TWD at the Bank of Taiwan rate from the year in question. Also, supply information about the company you worked at so it can be confirmed you’re in the relevant scitech/finance/economy fields.
  • special case: you explain (with formal documents) why you can’t provide tax return and/or why your annual average salary is below the threshold but you meet it on a monthly basis. Also, supply information about the company you worked at so it can be confirmed you’re in the relevant scitech/finance/economy fields.

Based on anecdotal evidence it sounds like you’ll be able to get it. You need a letter from your employer verifying your qualifying salary.

I’m guessing this would be true for contractors as well? Because some contracts only last like 6-9 months sometimes but pay far above the ntd requirements. I wonder if in those cases you’d have to get the letter from the company you contracted with? What if you’re a 1099 contractor though? Then you technically just work for yourself

Based on anecdotal evidence, 1099 won’t cut it. There may have been a few that slipped through iirc, but many reported back that they wanted a w2 for US-based employees.

So a W2 contract would work. Since the contract i was looking at starts in September, i should have enough per month. Unless they take the amount on the W2 and divide by 12? How exactly do they determine how much you made in one month?

Edit: so based on the other comments, it just like depends?

From what I’ve seen here, it’s a little bit of a gray area but you should be able to get approved with an employment letter certifying what your income will be. You may have to go back and forth a little to determine exactly what it is that they want to see, but if your company’s HR is agreeable (ie, will state definitively that you are above the income threshold and not mention anything about not a full year, etc) I think you’ll eventually be able to make it work.