Gold card for US citizen born in China

Hi all,
my dad is trying to apply for a gold card to come to Taiwan. He’s a professor and applying for Education but he was born in China, and apparently the dropdown in the application for Place of Birth doesn’t include China… it’s either Republic of China (Taiwan)… or Chile. I’m guessing this is because they don’t want mainlanders applying for the GC but my dad has been a naturalized US citizen for 30 years, renounced his Chinese national status when he did so and has carried a US passport for most of his adult life. Do you all know anyone who successfully got a gold card even if they were born in China? It just strikes me as funny that the application literally doesn’t have the option— any way to workaround this?

Doesn’t Taiwan officially call itself roc and still consider the mainland as part of itself?

Yes. Though, I believe involved obtaining formal proof that they were no longer a Chinese citizen (which was hard), and proof of travel history to China (I think there is some limitation on the number of days one can spend there).

ed: See Note 2 on the application docs.

1 Like

Check M for Mainland China?

Thank you!! This is incredibly helpful.

1 Like

No mainland either lol, but he ended up selecting “Other” and just uploading additional documents. Fingers crossed it works out!

I just logged into the portal to check. There is indeed an option: “MAIN LAND AREA”.

1 Like

Yeah he said he found it haha, he’s changing it now

Hello @bean_soy, did your dad’s application get approved? In a similar boat, but worried about my application may get rejected for being born in China.

@zhiyokay @bean_soy even though the thread has been inactive for some time, just want to check if anyone is willing to share their experiences successfully getting the gold card with a birthplace in China. Thank you for sharing!