Gold Card wants hukou renunciation proof, what to do for US citizen?

OP was a Chinese citizen born in China. He only later became a US citizen.

Thank you for all the replies, itā€™s unfortunate that itā€™s not straight-forward to resolve this issue. Iā€™ve been wanting to move to Taiwan for a few years now as Iā€™m ready to start my next journey outside the US.

I called the Taiwan Gold Card help center and they suggested I reach out to Ernst and Young (???) to have them help me grab my ā€œhukou renunciationā€ without me having to go back to China. They said Ernst and Young can work with their China offices to help grab the documents.

This seems like a huge hurdle to jump through and Iā€™m guessing will likely take me many weeks. Still looking to see if thereā€™s some kind of easier way :frowning:

Doesnā€™t sound cheap. Probably 20-50k USD to run around going to your birth city fetching documents and authenticating it with the straits for you. Iā€™d be skeptical if there were any successful cases who went this route and whether itā€™s a canned response for this problem since it gets asked a lot. If you didnā€™t have Shenfenzheng as a Chinese infant, itā€™s not likely the mainland household registration office will work with someone else with power of attorney.

Iā€™d recommend you fly to China and treat it as part vacation. Budget maybe 3 weeks to get everything done and authenticated with the straits foundation. Hotels in China are cheap right now.

1 Like

yes, taiwan treats a former chinese citizen having lived abroad for long enough and getting a foreign citizenship as a foreigner. when a foreigner was born in mainland china, the person is requested a proof of no prc nationality or hukou, apparently even if the person has never been a prc national.

even if former prc nationals have proof of PRC renunciation, they are treated as prc nationals if not living abroad for 4 years, and non prc nationals born there are also requested a proof of no prc nationality. they may have their logic.

There was a case a while ago on this forum of a foreigner born in China to foreign parents, hence he never had PRC citizenship, left China, and Taiwan wanted him to provide proof of renunciation. In his case, itā€™s impossible to get any documentation since he was never a PRC citizen.

Another option is you could call NIA and ask to appeal to their supervisor / head of NIA.

yes, i was thinking of that one. comparing to the case, opā€™s situation is simple.

1 Like

Maybe you could just submit an application for a PRC citizenship certificate and provide whatever rejection letter they give. If the letter states the reason for rejection as being that the applicant is not a Chinese citizen then that + straits foundation authentication should be sufficient.

They didnā€™t accept my Chinese visa on my Canadian passport as proof of renunciation, so not sure how flexible they are. The China embassy wouldnā€™t have granted the visa if I still had PRC citizenship.

The straits foundation can only authenticate a list of documents. They donā€™t know the process for authenticating documents not on their list so you should call them to check first.

Also Iā€™m not sure they would reject the request for PRC citizenship? Anyone born as a PRC citizen in mainland China has the right to claim back citizenship anytime after renunciation.

Request for a citizenship certificate. not citizenship. Also do you have a source for anyone being born as a PRC citizen in China being able to claim it back after renunciation?

1 Like

Article 13 in the nationality law:

ā€œForeign nationals who once held Chinese nationality may apply for restoration of Chinese nationality if they have legitimate reasons; those whose applications for restoration of Chinese nationality have been approved shall not retain foreign nationality.ā€

I guess you may give an invalid reason for restoration

without requested documents for the application, the application wonā€™t be received, or the reason of rejection would be insufficient documents.

Yes unfortunately.

@jimbob132 Thank you for the information. It is super helpful. Iā€™m planning to fly to China to renounce my hukou and get it authenticated by the Straits. Do you mind sharing a bit about your experience doing that? I understand it may take a few weeks, but Iā€™m curious to know if the process was straightforward for you. Thanks

@jimbob132 Iā€™m also curious about this process. My husband will need to go through this, and we would like to make sure we have all the documents we may need. Thanks!

@leliang @circusmom Sorry for the late reply as Iā€™m not in Taiwan. I would suggest you to call the Straits foundation in Taipei and ask for steps including where you can get the renunciation authenticated in the mainland (they have a list of places they accept documentation from, one for each city/region typically).

The other part is fetching the documentation in mainland China. This can be simple or complicated depending on whether you had shenfenzheng/passport as infant or something to prove your identity, or maybe a relative to prove your identity. You can go to a local police station in your birth city to apply for the documentation. Could be as quick as a day trip or several weeks, depending on your birth city and whether they have things digitalized, and your current status in mainland China. I think you should have automatically given up household registration there and be marked as settled abroad in most cases (I am not sure what triggers this - maybe when applying for a China visa from abroad?). After you get the proof, you can start the authentication process, they will send things over to the Straits foundation in Taiwan, I would wait until everything is accepted by Straits foundation before you leave mainland China.

The good news is that hotels are cheap in mainland China. Maybe go for a trip to Zhangjiajie, enjoy the spicy food in Hunan and the $50 a day brand new hilton/marriot hotels while this is processing.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the detailed information. I really appreciate it!