Gold Card wants hukou renunciation proof, what to do for US citizen?

I was born in China but left 30 years ago and never came back.

I now have US citizenship and US passport, so my Chinese passport, citizenship, and hukou was automatically renounced.

But the Gold Card states I need a document showing “non-establishment of Mainland household registration verification”. Where do I get this? I never applied to renunciate my Mainland household registration, it just automatically happened since dual citizenship is not allowed by China.

Or can I submit something else from the 3rd point? Is a US passport enough proof? “Documentary proof sufficient to prove renunciation of ID as a People of the Mainland Area, verified by an ROC (Taiwan)embassy or overseas mission.”

Anyone else in my same situation? Would love to hear what ended up working for you.

Thank you

Cancelation of your PRC citizenship isn’t “automatic”. It’s not like the US government writes a letter the PRC government explaining to them that you’ve become an American citizen. You need to inform them yourself, otherwise you are still a PRC citizen as far as they’re concerned.

3 Likes

No point writing to them, the U.S. and Canadian China embassies won’t provide proof of renunciation. You can apply for a China visa at the China embassy and that’ll probably auto cancel your mainland household registration like it did for me but they don’t provide any documentation. You can goto mainland China afterwards to your local city police station and ask for documentation for hukou cancellation, then get it authenticated by the straits, it’s a pain in the ass and you should budget two or three weeks in China for it especially if you didn’t have Shenfenzheng as an infant.

They just want to put you in the right application bucket. If you still have Chinese hukou you can go the path to get dual Taiwan citizenship without renunciation of your U.S. citizenship. Some people are probably ending up with multiple conflicting citizenships and they want to prevent that.

Or get citizenship in a country like Singapore whose China embassy provides citizens proof of China citizenship renunciation. Typically only countries who do not allow dual citizenship provide this service to citizens, which US is not one of.

It’s better to sort this out earlier since later on you will hit the same issue for permanent residence or gold card renewal.

2 Likes

You are overseas Chinese. Wouldn’t it be better to exercise ROC nationality than getting a gold card?

With no family connections to Taiwan, which means he’d have to get employer sponsorship to be able to live and work here on a TARC as a “Mainland Area ROC national”. If he gets a Gold Card he will have an open work permit.

Depends on whether he wants to eventually become a APRC holder or ROC citizen.

unless the op is a born dual national of us and prc, op lost prc citizenship by getting US citizenship. if the prc citizenship was lost, how can TARC be possible for the op?

1 Like

He’d hit a wall with PR as he is finding out now. And then he has to deal with the bullshit us foreigners face.

2 Likes

Looks like he’d hit a wall with “overseas Chinese” too, as we are finding out now too:

It seems coming to Taiwan as a foreigner is his only option.

If you want a workaround, go to Hong Kong and they won’t recognize your automatic China citizenship renunciation since they look at the birthplace on your passport and you haven’t applied to renounce Chinese nationality, acquire HK permanent residency as a Chinese national and then apply to Taiwan afterwards from China as a Chinese national, while keeping your U.S. citizenship.

2 Likes

Oooh that sounds awesome.

Yeah, but PR is not allowed for ROC Nationals. Trying to stay on the Gold Card forever sounds like a huge PITA.

I’m saying he doesn’t qualify for ROC nationality. He has no connections to Taiwan, nor is he a PRC citizenship anymore.

Did he renounce? It’s likely he still has it.

Whether he has PRC nationality depends on who he is asking

Article 9 of the Chinese nationality law says there is automatic renunciation for someone who settles abroad and acquires foreign nationality: Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China -- china.org.cn

Taiwan doesn’t recognize article 9 of the Chinese nationality law

China made special interpretations of this law in Hong Kong. Under these interpretations, you still have Chinese nationality:

https://www.clic.org.hk/en/topics/immigration/chinese_nationality/q5

" 5. CAN CHINESE NATIONALITY BE LOST OR RENOUNCED?

According to article 9 of the Nationality Law of the PRC, a Chinese citizen who emigrates abroad and acquires foreign citizenship ceases to be a Chinese national, and is no longer able to transmit Chinese nationality to his or her children. In addition, article 10 of the Nationality Law states that Chinese nationals may apply to renounce their Chinese nationality.

For Hong Kong Chinese persons, the situation as detailed by “the explanations” made by the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress (NPCSC) is different. Such persons are still considered to be Chinese citizens even after acquiring foreign nationality unless they apply to the Immigration Department under article 5 of “the explanations” to be recognised as foreign citizens. Details of the application process can be found on the website of the Immigration Department."

To become a HK person, get a HKID (work visa etc). You are a Chinese person because you were born in mainland China per your passport. Now you’re a Hong Kong Chinese person while in HK.

Next try to apply to enter Taiwan from the Taipei economic office in HK. Likely they still want to see your hukou or PRC passport. In that case, get HK PR as a Chinese national and you’ll have a HK PRC passport while getting to keep your US passport.

on taiwan side, the phrase “People of the Mainland Area who reside outside the Mainland Area” as used in Article 3 of the Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area shall exclude the persons who have resided abroad for over four years and who have obtained citizenship of the country where they reside

in this case, taiwan will treat you as a us citizen.

The term “Hong Kong Residents” as used in Laws and Regulations Regarding Hong Kong & Macao Affairs refers to persons who qualify for permanent residency in Hong Kong and who do not hold a travel document other than a British (Overseas) passport or a Hong Kong passport.

Obviously in this case he wouldn’t tell the Taiwan government about his US citizenship!

Come on, that’s the first rule of dual citizenship (which apparently OP is already very good at! :joy:)

In any case, these are all moot points. I don’t think OP wants to spend 7 years living in HK just to eventually get Taiwan citizenship. He’s just looking to come here on a Gold Card. He may not even want to stick around for very long.

In reality it’s not enough to prove renunciation, as is OP’s case and I also ran into this. NIA asks for extra documentation.

The wording here is rather ambiguous, but you can let your U.S. passport expire and not apply for a new one, while keeping your citizenship, and you will only have a HK passport. They refer to travel document and not citizenship or nationality.

It also presents more loopholes to the system. Now you can hold a HK (PRC) passport, US passport, and be treated as an overseas Chinese by Taiwan, but treated as a regular Chinese citizen in HK and China. Among the many loopholes I can think of, this allows you to open companies, buy properties and farmland in Taiwan as a Chinese national.

As a Hong Kong Chinese national, which is very different from a mainland Chinese national.

But there’s nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of dual HK and Taiwan nationals here like myself. Someone whose father is a HKer and mother is a ROC national, for example, automatically gets dual citizenship at birth (provided, of course, that one follows the first rule of dual citizenship mentioned in my previous post).

1 Like

yes, but it is as a foreigner born in prc. not as a mainlander.

i replied, because you first said keeping a passport

If they’re recognized as a foreigner born in PRC, why is NIA asking for proof of PRC renunciation? Is it because NIA caught people in this situation with a U.S. passport who still have PRC citizenship?