Golf!

What would you say are the top four courses in Northern Taiwan? Anyone out there with extensive knowledge of the situation here? I have tried contacting the Taiwan PGA head with no reply (even though I met him once several years before).
Any good informative sites?

www.rocgolf.com.tw/index.php
www.worldgolf.com/courses/comtaiwan.html

Yes, I’ve seen these, thanks. What I am really after is a personal recommendation.

As a quick aside, I have heard that there is
a very cheap course close to the TaiDa side of town.

You can drink, relax and no one will laugh at your lack of
knowledge or skill. Great for beginners…

Directions? :?:

Our salesman’s a keen golfer and he just spent a day playing the three courses at Ta Shee resort. He’s played all over the island and thinks this is def. one of the better ones, if not the best.

I was also surprised at how cheap it is. Can’t remember what he paid but it didn’t seem to be very much for 54 holes, and he’s not a member.

54 holes in one day? Good God! His arms must be falling off. Ask him for the four best courses in the north…

I’m not sure of the name, and it may have already been mentioned above, but there is one in Taoyuan County, near Da-Hsi City somewhere close to the Hsi-Min Dam. I know my romanization is terrible but hopefully someone can figure it out.

Anyway this is supposedly one of the best and most expensive golf courses in Taiwan. Tiger Woods has played there.

[quote=“JeffG”]I’m not sure of the name, and it may have already been mentioned above, but there is one in Taoyuan County, near Da-Hsi City somewhere close to the Hsi-Min Dam. I know my romanization is terrible but hopefully someone can figure it out.

Anyway this is supposedly one of the best and most expensive golf courses in Taiwan. Tiger Woods has played there.[/quote]

That would be Ta Shee resort. The crappy romanizations is theirs and I used it that way because anyone looking for info on the courses will need to spell it the same way.
http://www.tasheeresort.com.tw/english/index.htm

Another course I’ve heard golfers speak of is Sunrise Golf and Country Club in Yangmei. This course would certainly be on any top four list!

Mid-week
Room rate:NT$3200
Green fees:NT$3380

Can anyone please recommend somewhere to buy some clubs from in Taipei? My father has asked that I pick some up to take back to New Zealand, but I haven’t really seen any golf shops around.
More specifically he’s after any of these sets:
Ping G5
Callaway X 18
Taylor Made RAC (OS)
Wilson Killer Whale (Graphite set)

I guess it’s worth asking whether they really are cheaper here in Taiwan. He had been told by a golfing buddy the price of clubs in China, but I’m wondering if the price here is going to be any better than he can buy back home.

[quote=“stevegan”]Can anyone please recommend somewhere to buy some clubs from in Taipei? My father has asked that I pick some up to take back to New Zealand, but I haven’t really seen any golf shops around.
More specifically he’s after any of these sets:
Ping G5
Callaway X 18
Taylor Made RAC (OS)
Wilson Killer Whale (Graphite set)

I guess it’s worth asking whether they really are cheaper here in Taiwan. He had been told by a golfing buddy the price of clubs in China, but I’m wondering if the price here is going to be any better than he can buy back home.[/quote]

It’s definitely better to buy them back home: 1.they are cheaper; 2. the quality is less dubious; 3. they are not cheap rip-offs; 4. the shafts are longer and you have a choice between steel and graphite ( over here it’s all graphite).

Keep looking, there are golf shops around. I can take you to at least six here in Hsinchu… don’t know about Taipei. Try the driving ranges.

Stanley