Golfball Factory Explosion in Pingtung

Pingtung just blew up according to the wife who knows these things.

what?

Some massive explosions. Fire Fighter dead. 80 injured.

Focus Taiwan has a report:

Guy

1 Like

https://focustaiwan.tw/*sports*/202309220018

Is the categorisation a reflection of local proclivities or a measure of editorial competence?

A curious decision, perhaps due to the fact that it was reportedly a golfball factory that caught on fire.

Guy

2 Likes

How does golf ball factory go boom? Are they filling those balls with C4?

Or are they made out of celluloid?

They’re wound so tight. One snaps, chain reaction.

4 Likes

Death by flying golf balls … man.

Anyone have a map link or location?

Is it here?

Launch Technologies Co., Ltd

I don’t have any kind of first-hand knowledge about this subject, and I only looked on the 'net for a short while, but this is what I found:

https://letsgolfallday.com/are-golf-balls-flammable/

What Happens if You Burn a Golf Ball: [It's Bad!] - Let's Golf All Day

1 Like

Yea most plastic can be flammable but surely it can’t be as bad as celluloid. I mean celluloid is made from gunpowder, can’t get more flammable than that. Try lighting a ping pong ball and you will see what I mean.

I’m willing to bet there’s probably a lot of safety violation at the factory.

Nope. It’s made from nitrocellulose (plus camphor and other stuff). Not the same thing.

Nope. There are things more flammable/combustible/explosive than gunpowder.

nitrocellulose is gunpowder. It’s not black powder, but all modern firearms use nitrocellulose, mixed with nitroglycerin for faster burning double based powder (like for use in pistols). If you ever fired a gun you’ll notice they smell different than fireworks (which primarily use black powder), unless you are firing muskets.

The only thing more flammable than celluloid is black powder and various other actual explosives. Most secondary explosives are not very flammable at all in smaller amounts (for example C4 just burns when lit, it doesn’t explode unless you use a blasting cap on it).

By the way this is also why warehouses storing film really goes up if there’s a fire, because they used to make film out of celluloid. Thing goes up like a rag soaked in gasoline when lit, except it doesn’t even need oxygen to combust, because nitrocellulose has its own oxygen in its molecule.

Nope. A being the main ingredient of some types of B doesn’t make A = B. Water is the main ingredient of seawater. Is bread made from seawater?

Nope. There are things more flammable than celluloid (and various ways of assessing flammability/combustibility). You can ask ChatGPT or something if you like. Just stop making stuff up.

(I’m not responding to the rest because it’s common knowledge you didn’t need to explain, and probably not too relevant to the explosion in Pingtung unless they’ve got a robust 1930s film industry.)

4 Likes

Yes.

4 firefighters dead and 6 civilians missing … I don’t think there’s any chance that those civilians survived. Terrible…

One of them was married to a foreigner from England. New sad, sorry for your loss.

These were factory employees. Likely SE Asian foreign workers.

Still civilians. And the majority of employees that were sent to the hospital were locals according to the list of injured released (though many of them seem to be naturalised citizens as I see a lot of Nguyens there).

3 Likes

2 of three missing 6 have been found deceased

Edit:
CCTV footage of the explosion

1 Like

My dad warned me about this when I was a wee child, trying to peel the shell off the golf ball.

Turns out he was right, as always.

1 Like