Good beaches near Taipei for beachcombing?

My husband and I comb beaches wherever we go for beach glass, little bits of glass that have been tumbled in the surf for a long time until they are polished completely smooth. http://seaglassassociation.org/genuine_vs_artificial_sea_glass_info.html

Has anyone ever been to a beach within reasonable travel distance of Taipei where they’ve noticed either beach glass or nice shells? I’m here for another three weeks and I’d love to go visit the coast… I’m going to go either next weekend or the weekend after. It would be really excellent to know that the beach I’m going to might be good for beachcombing.

TIA

IJin Shan about 20 mins past Dan Shui is full of glass, polished and otherwise.
Head out on the number 2 highway, as soon as you get to San jhih you are on the coast any shore beach will be littered with glass

Awesome… freshly littered glass is way less the goal than many-years tumbled glass, but I’m willing to go look (and will enjoy the beach, in any case). :laughing:

I’m guessing I can grab a taxi at Danshui MRT and go from there to say the end of Section 4, BinHai Rd. or I could take a bus to Section 3, BinHai Rd and walk from there (potentially quite a slog).

Any bus traveling to Jinshan or Keelung from Danshui will get you there. At times the road runs along the coast so just get off wherever looks interesting. A cab would be pricey - probably $400-500+.

The problem is going to be to find polished glass. I doubt there is much around the shores of Taiwan because of the yearly typhoons doing a pretty good job of sweeping everything out to sea. Also the lack of a continental shelf means that once things are swept out they don’t come back (except the styrofoam).

I would probably look more at the rock and pebbly beaches rather than the sand ones.

Yup, you’re right, the pebbly ones are often better than the sandy ones, but Hawaii is a great place for sea glass so I’m not sure the continental shelf issue matters much. I’ll report back after I go check it out.

Shalun Beach near Danshui has a lot of shells. Not sure about glass though.

[quote=“JuliaZ”]My husband and I comb beaches wherever we go for beach glass, little bits of glass that have been tumbled in the surf for a long time until they are polished completely smooth. http://seaglassassociation.org/genuine_vs_artificial_sea_glass_info.html
TIA[/quote]

Not sure where this is in Taiwan, but it’s evidence of glass:

Source:
flickr.com/photos/larrynjill/377396432/

[quote=“Surf Punk”][quote=“JuliaZ”]My husband and I comb beaches wherever we go for beach glass, little bits of glass that have been tumbled in the surf for a long time until they are polished completely smooth. http://seaglassassociation.org/genuine_vs_artificial_sea_glass_info.html
TIA[/quote]

Not sure where this is in Taiwan, but it’s evidence of glass:

Source:
flickr.com/photos/larrynjill/377396432/[/quote]
Under the picture it says: XiaoLiuCiu Island, Taiwan

Actually, I went to Baisha Bay, and in one short stretch of beach (before it started to get dark) found this:

While clambering over the big rocks to get from one part of the beach to another, I found this wedged between two rocks:

I sure hope the MRT and buses are running on Wednesday, because the park I wanted to go to in the first place is just a kilometer or two past where I went on Saturday, and I am so bringing some sandwiches and going back! Oh, and I’m bringing hand sanitizer too… that beach was the most disgusting beach full of trash I’ve EVER seen. It’s either going to be way better, or way worse, after the typhoon, but a day on the beach pretty much never sucks (in my opinion).

Anyone want to go with? Eddy won’t be back from Mexico until the next day, but the “good food in Danshui” thread has definitely gotten my attention for after-beach eats…

[quote=“JuliaZ”]Actually, I went to Baisha Bay, and in one short stretch of beach (before it started to get dark) found this:

[/quote]
That picture makes me dizzy. Looks like the plate is stuck to the ceiling or upside down…

Some nice glass, though. :thumbsup:

I’d reccomend some prongs and gloves, actually, not just had sanitizer. I’d hate to cut myself and BTW, when was your last tetanus shot?

Hope Wednesday is a lovely day.

[quote=“Icon”]I’d reccomend some prongs and gloves, actually, not just had sanitizer. I’d hate to cut myself and BTW, when was your last tetanus shot?

Hope Wednesday is a lovely day.[/quote]
ROFL… I’m a tough old bird… and careful… and my last tetanus shot was in 2007. I’m good! :discodance: