Good English or German translation for Taiwanese "拎北" as in "拎北台灣郎"

拎北 Lim Bei, As in “拎北台灣郎” on this t-shirt:

So far I understand it literally means “your dad”, but actually is a slang term (rude, but not actually offensive) for referring to oneself. It also seems to serve to position oneself higher… sorry not sure how to say this in English.

I have no idea if there is any English or German term that would convey a similar meaning and mood.

Best I came up with so far is “This dude’s from Taiwan”, but probably only makes sense to people who know the movie “The big Lebowsky”…

Let me give it a shot…

Your dad here is from Taiwan

1 Like

Daddy’s from Taiwan.

1 Like

I asked my girlfriend; “So far I understand it literally means “your dad”, but actually is a slang term (rude, but not actually offensive) for referring to oneself. It also seems to serve to position oneself higher…” this is exactly what it means

1 Like

I think this dude is fine, but some other ideas:

• Big Daddy is Taiwanese
  • Yo daddy is Taiwanese
  • I’m yo Taiwanese daddy
2 Likes

Thanks a lot everyone! Really appreciated to get so many serious answers.

I certainly learned a lot… especially about English. I never thought “daddy” could be used outside of an infantile or sexualized context :rofl: yet everyone chose it.

Is it really possible to refer to oneself as “daddy” in English and have it sound not cute or stupid, but tough/rough, low-class, and putting oneself higher than the people you address?

Yeah, I’ve heard about famous rapper Puff Daddy… but thanks to my German language background I simply giggle when hearing that name (Puff in German means whorehouse… so Puff Daddy basically sounds like Mama-san or pimp).

Any other ideas how to translate this? Not necessarily close to the original, more conveying the same mood… Maybe something boss-y, royalty related, offensive, …?

1 Like

No, not really.

You’d maybe ironically call yourself a “boss”, “bossman” or a “mutha fucken P.I.M.P”, or if you’re really good at something, you might say you’re a badass. “The king” or something maybe like 30 years ago but sounds cheap today.

Duno if that helps at all, but hey, my thumbs got some exercise typing this crap out at least :ok_hand:

2 Likes

For T-shirt purposes, I second badass.

1 Like

This motherf*cker is from Taiwan

2 Likes

German: Babo is’ Taiwaner

1 Like

You guys and gals made my day. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes