Good iphone alternatives

Suppose I want to buy say an iphone SE, is there any other phones I can buy for around the same price that will give a better value? How are Xiaomi phones? Or Google pixels?

This includes used iphone of any generation

Maybe it’s useful to say how much you’re wanting to spend (I’ve no idea what an iPhone SE costs).

I’ve almost bought Xiaomi phones before. Some of them looked pretty good, though I haven’t followed the models released over the last several years.

I imagine that there are a lot of options for getting “better value” from an Android, pretty much by definition.

Iphone SE currently retails for about 15,000nt. That’s about how much I’d feel comfortable spending.

My Android phone has a crappy auto correct algorithm, can anyone tell me if current model is any better?

I think you should be able to buy a fairly decent Android phone for NT$15k.

The Pixel 7a seems less than that, even without any discounts (that’s not a specific recommendation - I haven’t looked into it because I bought a new Pixel 7 in October so I won’t be caring about new releases for the next couple of years).

Haven’t had an issue with autocorrect on Android, but I would assume current models are pretty close to the state of the art.

I might look into Google pixels then.

What are your thoughts on Xiaomi phones? They have all sorts from 5000 and all the way up to 35000.

its up to you to make your own mind up what you value in your phone

All phones spy on you, it just depends on which spymaster you’re ok with, google, apple, or CCP.

If your phone uses the android system, google spies on you.

My big deal breaker with iphone is their poor repair rights. I want to be able to swap batteries myself if I need to. Iphones do not let you.

I think I don’t know enough about it to give you a useful opinion. Like I said, I’ve considered buying a Xiaomi phone in the past and they looked good to me at the time, but that’s about it.

I’m not really a phone/tech person. I find these things tedious to look into and think about (way too much choice and variables) even when it’s to buy a phone for myself, and beyond that I’m even less interested.

There are many videos on YouTube though, e.g., “best budget Android phones 2023”.

If this is your only reason, check your Text Correction settings or install another keyboard.

3 Likes

I’m using Google keyboard, and it’s still not that great.

There are a bunch of things you can do to personalize the text prediction/correction settings.

last iPhone battery I had swapped cost me 800nt.

I know which one I trust the most

Was it done by apple? They said battery swap is about 2 or 3000nt.

How was the repair guy able to fool the phone from not detecting the battery and refusing to charge?

not done by apple as it was already out of warranty.

they just swapped the battery and it was fine (but that’s their job).

I tested some Xiaomi phones and iphones with picture taking. I used the drunken camera test, move the camera like a drunken sailor and see what the picture is like.

I noticed the Xiaomi 12 do pretty well, and the most expensive Xiaomi dont seem worth the cost, iphone SE was crap, iphone 13 and 14 works pretty well. All are done at 2x when available.

I should mention Xiaomi 12 and 13 all costs less than the iphone SE.

I need to check out a Google pixel, but not sure where I can see one in person.

Older iPhones had no issues swapping batteries. Newer ones are the ones that Apple need to do themselves.

If you’re worried about spying, you can easily change the OS / ROM on Pixels.

Edit: Most Pixels. Just have to make sure it’s one sold by Google.

I had a Vivo Nex S for 4 years. Absolutely zero problems. Vivo quality very high.
Now have Realme. Same opinion.

Have never worried about owning China brand phone. They can have my data, just like Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc.
Went to Hong Kong during COVID time. No one stopped me to check my phone. Anyhew… it’s your decision on what you value in a smartphone.

1 Like

All phones are somehow assembled in China anyways, so to avoid China means to avoid pretty much any electronics. I understand ios is going to be the most secure but the huge apple premium, lack of repair rights (no guarantee that you can replace any parts should the need arise) is a deal breaker. If I was extremely rich and loaded and can afford to buy a new iphone every other iteration, then I will go for it, but I can’t afford to spend 30,000 every couple of years. Not including the other devices that you must buy from apple within their ecosystem. It isn’t cheap.

use gmsarena dot com to compare specs of up to 3 phones at 1 time and to read reviews. bought that Vivo and Realme based on this site.