Good news for Kaohsiung; Frank Hsieh is leaving

bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= … world_news

Vice-presidential candidate loser of the 1996 Presidential elections, Frank Hsieh, will now have the daunting task of trying to be the Premier of ROC.

Hopefully he’ll be able to put his political rivalry with CSB behind him and not try to kill him in office.

But at least Kaohsiung will be a much better place with Mr. “Love River” gone.

If he sees the light he will work on actually collaborating with the pan-Blues on some good legislation for ROC.

I don’t what you are rambling on about but Frank has done an outstanding job in Kaohsiung. Simply outstanding. I am sad to see him go.

Want a very clear comparison on the abilities of the DDP and the KMT? Compare what Frank has done to what the KMT dude before him did. Frank and the DDP win hands down.

When was the last time you were in Kaohsiung?

Frank Hsieh’s the new premiere, eh? Now suddenly all of those fluff pieces in the Times and the News and CNA over the last month or two about how wonderful he is make sense. They kept coming, day after day, across my desk, and every time I wondered what the point of the story was. Now I know.

So is Ma Ying-jeou up for anything? I ask this because for the past few weeks just about every day I’ve seen “Ma sucks” pieces from the aforementioned papers. Even with the little girl being beaten, all the Times could do for days was harp on how evil Ma was. They didn’t even mention the father who beat her.

Oh, wait, Lien Chan’s stepping down soon, right? So the KMT will need a new chairman and Ma…oh, that explains it.

Such a useful thing, being able to predict who’s popular and not with the ruling party by reading Xinhu- I mean, the newspapers. Except for the Post, of course. Can’t use that one. No, sir. It’s biased, don’t ya know.

Frank Xie has done good things for Gaoxiong, or so I’m told, but his dabbling with cult leader Song Qili concerns me. Frank actually respects a guy who claims to be able to be in two places at the same time, and who used poorly photshopped images as proof of the celestial aura emanating from him. :astonished: The man (Song Qili) is a blatant fraud. I’m worried that the premier of this country is a man who isn’t canny enough to see that. :s

Yeah, he is a bit of a nutter, isn’t he. :laughing:

So there are two English-speaking newspapers with pro-green sympathies. So what? Don’t you still think the majority of TV stations favor the KMT and PFP? Or the international media backed by rich KMT elites in the US? After so many years of KMT brainwashing, it is refreshing that the DPP has some mouthpieces in media for a change. Shit, even General MacArthur talked like a “New Dealer” when he was reconstructing Japan.

BTW, how many abused children were rejected from hospitals in Gaoxiong? How many escalator incidents in the South? :smiling_imp: The simple fact is this – Frank has done a very good job as mayor. Has Ma?

More of the same is refreshing?

How many such incidents in Gaoxiong? I don’t know, but I’d be willing to bet there are a good many such cases, mostly unreported, in both Gaoxiong and Taipei. The mere fact that this case got the media attention it did, even though most of it was politically motivated, indicates an improvement over a situation where such incidents are treated as commonplace, as has usually been the case and probably still is in many places outside of Taipei.

And yes, I think Ma’s done a great job. I can’t speak for Gaoxiong, but Taipei has improved quite a lot over the last few years, seeing a lot more improvement than it did under Chen or even Huang before him.

Frank has been Kaohsiung’s fairy godmother. He brought potable water to the city, cleaned up the Love River, started an MRT system, oversaw the preservation and development of local cultural venues, and so on.

Yeah, who needs a mayor like that. :unamused:

Exactly.

New parks established. The harbor area turned into a bohemian type place with lots of restaurants. The old stadium torn down and turned into a very nice family area. Just to name a few.

I have never seen a politician anywhere make such a postive mark on his constituency.

Thanks Frank…you rock.

Frankie Goes to Hollywood-Hsieh is the DPPs version of James Soong (and that is not a good thing). I laughed this morning when the stinking Taipei Times had a headline about “Flexible Frankie”, I was thinking what is “flexible” is his ethics. And when I say that I am not comparing him to the saints or Virgin Mary; even by Taiwan politico standards he is garbage. The reason for all the public works projects downtown in Kaoshuing is so he could spread the tax payers money out with his slimebag friends in the construction industry.

Flexible Frankie and the Kickback Kids would be a great name for his show. And now he gets to take his show nationwide. And the analysis I just made is not my personal analysis, it is based on things I have directly heard from attoneys who are “friends” of his down there.

The tax payers of this island ought to lynch him and then lynch Greaseball (our esteemed president) for handing him the keys to the coffer. And as an added bonus unless the KMT gets its head out of its ass (odds makers place that at a one in a million chance) Frankie will be our next President.

with hugs and happy faces,
Dr. Brian
President of the Frankie Fan Klub

[quote=“brianlkennedy”]Frankie Goes to Hollywood-Hsieh is the DPPs version of James Soong (and that is not a good thing). I laughed this morning when the stinking Taipei Times had a headline about “Flexible Frankie”, I was thinking what is “flexible” is his ethics. And when I say that I am not comparing him to the saints or Virgin Mary; even by Taiwan politico standards he is garbage. The reason for all the public works projects downtown in Kaoshuing (Gaoxiong) is so he could spread the tax payers money out with his slimebag friends in the construction industry.
[/quote]

Who cares why he improved Kaohsiung, I care only about the results. Better to spend tax payers money on public works than on cheap hookers and bottles of tequila.

Waitaminute…what did I just say? :laughing:

Your inauguration’s going to be no fun at all with that attitude.

I just wish Taichung had a mayor with one tenth the ‘can-do’ Frank has. I don’t know one way or the other about his willingness to take a kickback, and I’m dubious about the Song Qili connection, but the guy is doing his job down there. Much more than can be said for our part-time Googenheim-wannabe, Jason Who?
15 years ago Kaohsiung was a dump compared to Taichung, and now it’s been turned right around.

I wonder what political party the mayor of Taichung belongs to? :whistle:

Actually bringing the first internationally acclaimed museum to Asia would raise the ROC visibility.

When this guy ran with Peng Ming Min in 1996 as the VP candidate he supported cutting off all economic ties with the PRC. A real winner this one when it comes to economy.

But we’ll see, Frank has 4 years to prove me wrong. But I wouldn’t be surprised if FLG mediations became part of public education on Taiwan under Frank’s watch.

Seeing this TI extremist work with the pan-Blues will be entertaining at least.

It is great that Frank has been promoted to being Taiwan’s prime minister. Our President was smart enough to undermine the Chinese influence in parliament while at the same time promoting a Taiwanese civic culture.

FLG is Taiwanese civic culture now?

I can see that you are afraid now…
Don’t worry, Frank will do what have to be done to make this country.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
Actually bringing the first internationally acclaimed museum to Asia would raise the ROC visibility.[/quote]

Hahahahahahaha…

He got them in, and then impressed them so much with his professionalism that they decided to pull out again.

Yeah, Jason Who? is the man… :loco:

[quote=“Mucha (Muzha) Man”]Frank has been Kaohsiung’s fairy godmother. He brought potable water to the city, cleaned up the Love River, started an MRT system, oversaw the preservation and development of local cultural venues, and so on.

Yeah, who needs a mayor like that. :unamused:[/quote]

I acknowledge that, under Hsieh’s administration, a lot of money has been poured into Kaohsiung recently to fix up what has undeniably been a mismanaged city. And the results have been mostly positive, so far.

But I do question where that money has been coming from. Is the central government (ie Chen Shuibian) papering Kaohsiung with dollars to prop up Frankie so he can have a run at the presidency in 2008? Or is Kaohsiung borrowing the cash, with the likely result of drowning the city in debt? Or is the city simply raising the cash the honest way, through taxes?

I don’t know the answer to the above. I’d be interested if anybody here does know.

Fairy Godmother or Santa Claus, I’d like to know who’s paying the bills.

cheers,
DB

[quote=“Mr He”]
He got them (Guggenheim) in, and then impressed them so much with his professionalism that they decided to pull out again.

Yeah, Jason Who? is the man… :loco:[/quote]
Not quite. Last I heard, Guggenheim was still keen, it’s Taichung’s city council that has cold feet. Not many residents are interested in footing the (extremely large) bill for this white elephant, and the council is refusing to pass the budget. Basically Jason Who? thinks he can leave this monument as a testiment to his great services to Taichung, at huge expense to us taxpayers, and in lieu of anything constructive or actually useful. As my friend asked, “What is good is it having a fancy museum if the tourists won’t come because they can’t get through the traffic or there isn’t any sidewalk to get there on?”
We have been patiently waiting to see just how Jason Who? was going to make good on his campaign promise to ‘make Taichung better than New York’. Wasting the city’s budget on a fancy museum no-one wants is not (IMO) going to make good on this promise. Some work along the lines of Frank Hsieh’s would be much more appropriate.
The KMT can mouth off all it wants about how great Jason Who? is, but I predict Taichung’s electorate will humiliate him if he’s foolish enough to believe his own PR and run again.